break after 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

japhy

Ski Bum
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a MPhud'er, but am taking time off to get a JD instead. I was hoping some of you could help me with the transition and staying "caught up" in medicine while I am away. I already feel left behind and all of this Tort law and Civil Procedure is taking up precious space in my brain. How have you dealt with this, does you school offer any support? Did any of you stay involved in clinics during your Phd years? What can I do to make the transition back to med school easier? Anything other advice would be well appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

We have the option of a 2 week H&P course that was moderately helpful (I only did 4 half days over a month, but it was worth it). If you spend a few nights reviewing how to take a good H&P (what goes into them, the order, the basic exam maneuvers) and pretend once or twice to present a patient, you'll be as caught up as you need to be.

The first 2 weeks will be rough, even brutal depending on the rotation, but you WILL start pulling stuff out of your butt that you won't even remember having learned. So, relax as much as you can, run & gun with the JDs for a while, expect pain on return, and rest assured that it will pass fairly quickly.

The more disorienting part is realizing that you know almost no one your class. Really wierd.

P