break down your time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em8r

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
I was just wondering how other premeds spend their time during the week? I'm just curious to know. I go to school about 14 hours a week, study another 15 or so (this varies depending on exams, papers, etc. of course), work 10-12, volunteer for about 4, and then all the other misc stuff. So that would be about 40-some hours, which is pretty easy if this was translated to a work week.

Is that too lax here? I really want to quit my job but I don't know if this will be seen as 'laziness' by future adcoms should I have to reapply next year. I know that's a really ridiculous question, but this whole process does tend to induce neuroticism :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Why are people so obsessed with minutae such as "will adcoms look down on me taking 4 instead of 5 classes?" or "how will quitting my job look, will it make me lazy??"

NOBODY CARES.

If you do well and have good experiences you're enthusiastic about, you'll do fine. Schools don't have the manpower to go through every applicants entire life and ensure they were occupied by some scholarly or humanitarian activity for >30hrs/week at all times.

If you list 2 ECs on AMCAS or list 15 student groups in which you were a "member", they probably won't be impressed, but nobody is going to look at your instantaneous committment with a magnifying glass.

Do things you're interested in and do them enthusiastically. That's all there is to it.

NOBODY CARES.

If you do well and have good experiences you're enthusiastic about, you'll do fine. Schools don't have the manpower to go through every applicants entire life and ensure they were occupied by some scholarly or humanitarian activity for >30hrs/week at all times.

Seriously, OP, lighten up! Relax -- you'll have plenty of time to nurture your neurotic tendencies once you get into med school. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for that site.

Why are people so obsessed with minutae such as "will adcoms look down on me taking 4 instead of 5 classes?" or "how will quitting my job look, will it make me lazy??"

NOBODY CARES.

If you list 2 ECs on AMCAS or list 15 student groups in which you were a "member", they probably won't be impressed, but nobody is going to look at your instantaneous committment with a magnifying glass.

Do things you're interested in and do them enthusiastically. That's all there is to it.

i know. it's silly. well, thanks for the perspective.

go to school about 19 hrs a week. and study 5 a week. its going to bit me in the butt this semester but so far, all A's.

sleep for 8 hours. check sdn for 12 hours straight. the remaining 4 hours i probably spend eating

sleep for 8 hours. check sdn for 12 hours straight. the remaining 4 hours i probably spend eating

don't forgot not being the master of your domain...very, very time consuming. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

lets see I wake up...get on sdn...then i go to lunch...whic i then bring back to my computer to hang out on sdn some more...then I avoid HW by being on sdn...then i go to sleep and dream of being on sdn...

lets see I wake up...get on sdn...then i go to lunch...whic i then bring back to my computer to hang out on sdn some more...then I avoid HW by being on sdn...then i go to sleep and dream of being on sdn...

we need to get sdn updates on cell phones or by email.

NOBODY CARES.

Will adcomms look up on me for slleping 15hrs a day?