Break from Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gardilimo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
things at my program are great but due to personal reasons I am deliberating taking PGY-2 yr off (next yr). When do you tell your program this? How long can you take off residency without having to do your intern yr over again? Can you moonlight once you finish intern yr and pass step 3 (aka can you get your license if youre not enrolled in a program as a pgy-2)?

thanks all knowledgeable sdn readers... gardi :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

things at my program are great but due to personal reasons I am deliberating taking PGY-2 yr off (next yr). When do you tell your program this? How long can you take off residency without having to do your intern yr over again? Can you moonlight once you finish intern yr and pass step 3 (aka can you get your license if youre not enrolled in a program as a pgy-2)?

thanks all knowledgeable sdn readers... gardi :oops:

Heya Gardi,

sorry to hear you have to take a year off. I think the earlier the better, because they usually have to interview people to fill your spot for next year, and that itself can take months. And I believe you can get your license, though moonlighting might be more difficult.

Can you moonlight once you finish intern yr and pass step 3 (aka can you get your license if youre not enrolled in a program as a pgy-2)?

depends on the state... some states require you pass step 3 and also have 2 years of post-graduate residency training (so you can't get your license until after successful completion of your PG2 year). and you won't be able to moonlight in those states if you aren't licensed. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any program would want to know ASAP if you were not planning on renewing your contract. How they would react to it--I don't know. I would hope most would be understanding about it. IT might also help your case if your program has an "overabundance" of 1st & 2nd years. Its residents in those 2 years that provide the most call coverage. If someone in my program wanted off but there were enough residents to provide coverage, my program would probably be much more likely to allow for the time off.

As far as I know, if you complete your 1st year-you earned it. No one can take that away from you so long as you remain in the program. If you enter back into your program you should be a PGY-2. However the program may cut you loose & not let you back in. In which case you'd have to reapply to residency, and some programs may only offer to take you as a PGY-1, and a few may allow you enter as a PGY-2 (difficult though possible).

Also, the GME at your program can inform you of your rights in this manner. Your personal situation may warrant that the the program must allow you time off if your situation justifies this. However your program's rules may also possibly force them to not allow you the time off-forcing you to either not take the time off or resigning. There usually are specific policies concerning this at the GME. Know your rights & the rules, and see if your situation can be accommodated to your satisfaction.

I am in a very difficult situation. My program is asking me to resign from my position PG2 due to "falsification of documentation" which was unintentional but it has cause a breech to my contract. The error was a human mistake; but they are combining my average performance and this situation and pretty much asking me to resign or ask i can have an appeal and grievance process through a community of graduate trustees. I do not know what to do in this situation? :(

It took me a second realize that saimd05 is not the same as gardilimo. Saimd05 you probably need your own thread.

Gardi's situation can be fixed easily by her/him looking for a research year. It's uncommon but it's doable... just apply to do a research year. Now (january or december-when the post was made) is a good time for the program to know. This might be difficult in some programs but at least you know will come back and continue in full blast. Really, a year off without pay is a far stretch, you're better off with a research year... less responsibility but still maintains clinical experience and might even benefit from it career wise and you still get paid.

Saimd05's situation blows and sounds more like a conspiracy the more I think about it. Did you piss off someone you were not supposed to and they had to go look at your records? Really sounds like your hands are tied short of getting a lawyer.