Breakdown of post-residency assignments (Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedicalMonkey

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I'm a fourth year student applying for family medicine. I've been a lurker on this forum for years. Currently, I'm considering FAP as a way to join the Navy. I feel like I have the specifics of FAP down (thanks for that!). My question regards the breakdown of assignments after residency. I know that you can go to a CONUS clinic/hospital or can go operation. Does anyone know the percentages on this? Is it 50/50 or something else? Furthermore, I know operational breaks down to blue side and green side. What's the breakdown like there? 50/50 again. I know specifics might be hard to find but any help would be needed. I feel like I'd be ok with any of the jobs I've read about and understand the concept of serving the needs of the Navy. I'm just curious about the breakdown. Lastly, I've heard that FAP recipients on their utilization tour will likely get placed in the undesirable assignments- what do these tend to be?

Lastly, if I decided I hoped to do operational but hoped to do blue side time on an amphib or carrier or similar vessel, what are the chances of doing that straight out of residency? (I know needs fluctuate and that might be hard to predict. But the breakdown above and the overall desirability of conus vs operational spots might help me gain a understanding). I saw and read Lt. Cmdr. Andy Baldwins article on it....but I'm not that pretty.

Thanks for any help!