Employment & Professional Networking Breaking into hand therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FINGERS_CROSSED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Trying to gather information about breaking into hand therapy upon graduating. I'll be starting my second level 2 in a few weeks and unfortunately was introduced to hand therapy after learning about my level 2 placements, so neither are in hand therapy. :(. For those of you who are CHTs or CHTs to be, can you pass along information about how I can get into the field. I've heard it's difficult and even more difficult if you don't have a level 2 in hands, but I'm hoping that's not true. I'm currently volunteering at a hand clinic but won't be staying long due to my next level 2. What advice do you have regarding post graduation jobs to look for that could lead me to become a CHT? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! Trying to gather information about breaking into hand therapy upon graduating. I'll be starting my second level 2 in a few weeks and unfortunately was introduced to hand therapy after learning about my level 2 placements, so neither are in hand therapy. :(. For those of you who are CHTs or CHTs to be, can you pass along information about how I can get into the field. I've heard it's difficult and even more difficult if you don't have a level 2 in hands, but I'm hoping that's not true. I'm currently volunteering at a hand clinic but won't be staying long due to my next level 2. What advice do you have regarding post graduation jobs to look for that could lead me to become a CHT? Thanks in advance!

You might be able to find some CHTs on the reddit Occupational Therapy thread!

Reactions: 1 user
There are travel opportunities for non CHTs. You get less pay and rural areas. Still need fieldwork experience fron the ones I have seen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are travel opportunities for non CHTs. You get less pay and rural areas. Still need fieldwork experience fron the ones I have seen.
Do you know where these jobs are? Or which states? I’m considering hands after graduation and all travel posts I’ve seen either require CHT certification or 2 years experience.

Elite Sports Medicine + Orthopedics in the Nashville, TN area has OTs that are basically hand therapists! Neither of the current OTs started out with the CHT certification (they are both now working towards them) so I would look there as an option to see if there will be any spots opening up for more OT's in the future! Send me a message if you need an email. I think they may be opening up a new location as well...