BREAKING NEWS: Caribbean Medical University (CMU) Administrative Misconduct and Abuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure if you go to SGU website is 98% and if you contact most of the other medical schools they would tell you pretty much the same. Thats why you pay 20k per semester believing that your chances are 98%.
Get a real date from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/736510_1 and stop dreaming about SGU having a higher Step1 rate than US med schools. View attachment 184958
Now you arent really comparing that bogus school to SGU, There is a reason you pay 20k per semester. Ill put it in simple terms for you. I can buy a taco at toco bell for 99 cents or go to a real mexican restaurant and pay 10 times that, Now why is that.

Members don't see this ad.

We have several graduates that have passed all parts of USMLE at the first attempt so don't think you are the only one. Now tell us:
1. how many states DO you practice medicine in???
2. how much in total have you paid for you medical education???

I hate to have to inform you of this and guess I shouldn't be surprised that you haven't figured it out, but I don't answer to you.

You're the one here with an agenda. How about you answer our questions first?

Again: What states can your graduates currently not get licensed? I've asked twice now. Why are you dodging the question?

-Skip

Like any other medical school that was not yet approved by CA and FL. Now answer my question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now you arent really comparing that bogus school to SGU, There is a reason you pay 20k per semester. Ill put it in simple terms for you. I can buy a taco at toco bell for 99 cents or go to a real mexican restaurant and pay 10 times that, Now why is that.

When faced with facts, you dont have anything else to say but bogus. 15 years ago SGU was at the same developing stage as CMU. Its tuition was at our level and they were not yet approved by FL, CA and NY. They didn't have federal loans nor that many graduates. Yet all their graduates from that time are now licensed and saved tons of money.

Like any other medical school that was not yet approved by CA and FL.

And, Kansas. You forgot Kansas. And, any other state where your graduates are neither on the approved nor banned list, and will have to essentially "roll the dice" and hope that their degree will be recognized by the medical board.

Will you refund their tuition if not?

Now answer my question.

I'm not sure I like your tone. So, no.

When faced with facts, you dont have anything else to say but bogus. 15 years ago SGU was at the same developing stage as CMU. Its tuition was at our level and they were not yet approved by FL, CA and NY. They didn't have federal loans nor that many graduates. Yet all their graduates from that time are now licensed and saved tons of money.

This is so factually wrong I don't even know where to begin.

First off, SGU was founded in 1978 and was far from the same "developing stage" 15 years ago as CMU is now. Nineteen seventy-eight: That's a track record of 36 years of graduating doctors.

SGU was also never implicated in the 1984 "diploma mill" Congressional inquiry led by the findings from Operation DipScam that resulted in the shut down of several questionable medical schools, including CETEC in the Domincan Republic. The result of this, which was a positive thing, was that it provided a lot more scrutiny about what was actually going on in the Caribbean and made it much harder for "fly by night" programs and hucksters to set up shop and rob the American government of its money in the form of loans. SGU's students remain eligible for federal loans.

Likewise, SGU has placed residents into prestigious positions across the U.S., including many teaching positions at even Ivy League Institutions. Between the current top 4 Caribbean medical schools, there are roughly 2,000 graduates placed into training each year in the U.S. This takes up a substantial portion of the limited spots that U.S. IMG applicants are vying for. These schools have a track record.

So, in light of all of the above, I ask you this: At this time, why would a potential student risk going to your school?

-Skip

There are more than 70 medical schools across the Caribbean, about half of them catering to Americans. A handful — including St. George’s, Saba University, Ross University in Dominica and American University of the Caribbean in St. Maarten, all of which are for-profit — have qualified for federal financial aid programs by demonstrating that their standards are comparable to those in the United States. And they report that high numbers of their test-takers — 95 percent or more — pass the United States Medical Licensing Exam Step 1, a basic science test.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/education/edlife/second-chance-med-school.html?_r=0

If you're not going to one of those four, caveat emptor! Amply evidenced by the exchanges here with CMU.

-Skip

Come on you don't even require an MCAT...

Does SGU offer a refund if its graduate wouldnt get licensed??? Does any medical school???

So, in light of all of the above, I ask you this: At this time, why would a potential student risk going to your school?

Besides other reasons, most of the potential students:
1. DO NOT want to end up with over $300,000 in debt upon graduation.
2. DO NOT have MCAT.

I agree with Skip about the big 4. There's really a lot of risk to attending a fly-by-night school and ending up with a worthless MD degree. I know quite a few people who needed something along the lines of 2 years to find a drug rep job or are struggling to complete an on-line masters (in some nonsense) hoping to get into some admin position.

An MD from the Caribbean is worthless without a residency. It's a huge investment of time and money and a lot of places aren't providing a solid enough foundation in the basic sciences for people to pass or post competitive step scores.

I am talking with a lot of other students and seeing how schools are using feedback from shelf exams to gauge preparedness for steps. AUA, for example, won't let anyone sit for CS/CK until posting a 76 on the step 2 comp. MUA is doing something similar. I'm guessing non-big 4 schools are improving their external stats through this method. The downside is; people without dedicated breaks are not doing well and being pushed into next year's application cycle.

One of those schools can easily say "we have an 84% step 1 pass rate" but getting a straight answer about comp attempts, how quickly they advanced through school, time taken off between exams, etc... would be pretty difficult. I'm of a mind that information like that speaks about the quality of a school's education on the island and its process for selecting students.

A lot of people would never have a chance to practice medicine (as an MD) without the Caribbean. That being said, some places just give you way better odds.

Does SGU offer a refund if its graduate wouldnt get licensed??? Does any medical school???

Besides other reasons, most of the potential students:
1. DO NOT want to end up with over $300,000 in debt upon graduation.
2. DO NOT have MCAT.

I'm trying to help you, CMU. You're coming on here with an agenda, but you aren't listening. Instead, you're trying to throw down the gauntlet and get into a pissing match. (Remember what I said about the rope...)

This all comes down to marketshare. Here's what the "big four" schools have that you don't:

1) Licensure in all fifty states.
2) Access to federal loans.
3) Solid and proven track record of placing their graduates in residencies, some of them quite competitive, in the U.S. and Cananda.
4) Appropriate accreditations that back-up and provide assurances that their program has met equivalency to U.S. education standards.

You have, as it currently stands, none of those. And, it is a well-established business principle that once someone has established a solid grasp on the marketshare, it is very difficult for others to break-in without offering some other competitive incentive. This is true whether you're selling pharmaceuticals, ketchup, or cola.

Many of us also recognize that there are fly-by-night operations that offer an inferior product at a discount in an attempt to horn-in on that marketshare. The way to assuage a lot of the concerns about this is to offer some sort of guarantee. This makes people much more likely to take the risk, if they feel they have a parachute.

You need to spend more time listening. That's my diagnosis. I don't think you're creatively thinking about how you can get more students to come to your school, aside from some assertion that it "costs less" than going other routes. If the diploma isn't worth the paper it's written on, in the end, it doesn't matter if it only costs $1 (plus all the time, blood, sweat, and tears invested, of course). That's the concern.

If you truly want to increase the number of students attending your school, I would think about how you can creatively incentivize students to make the choice to come to your school and work diligently to avoid controversies such as the one that started this very thread. This would include some sort of real and honest discussion with potential students up front about the current limitations your school has, what you're doing to fix them, and then offering some sort of guarantee that they will get a refund if they complete your program and can't get a bona fide position somewhere.

This is all predicated, of course, on the premise that you're actually trying to run a legitimate medical education program and aren't just a bunch of crooks trying to take people's money. And, for what it's worth, some people would pay a lot of money for the free advice you were just given. Be grateful for that, not bellicose.

-Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
$300K is a lot of debt to pay back with no residency.

Just sayin'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the refund policy would help attract more students to CMU, I doubt CMU would ever implement this policy. The reason why I respect the Big 4 schools so much (especially SGU) is because they actually have admissions standards. Sure, SGU is a for-profit school but it also wants its students to succeed and match into a residency, if nothing more but to uphold SGU's reputation. Therefore, they won't give an acceptance letter to anyone with a pulse and a checkbook.

CMU on the other hand doesn't care about it's reputation(because it's crap anyway and they know it) or whether their students succeed, thus they will accept anyone who applies to CMU, regardless of previous academic performance. A large chunk of the CMU student population would have been rejected by a Big 4 school and shouldn't even be in medical school in the first place. Therefore if CMU implements a refund policy, they will lose the majority of their student revenue on refunds.

CMU preys on naive gullible pre-meds who want to be physicians but really don't have the capability to become physicians. They are despicable.

Good luck MDesquire. I hope everything works out. As Caribbean grad, one thing I've noticed is that the schools that try hardest to defend themselves are usually the worst ones. For all those considering a Caribbean med school, I would advise against any out of the big 4.

You guys know nothing about CMU so most of your statements are false.
First of all CMU has been operating for 8 years already so please don't call it fly-by-night medical school. It has over 600 students already, way more than most of the med schools in the Caribbean. We do have shelf exams at pro-metric centers therefore noone would be ceftified for Step1 without a score higher than 450. We do have students who passed USMLE with over 240 and we do have students in residency. Out of almost 500 applications for Fall, 116 students have been admitted to the program so please don't make up stories that we accept everyone. We just give a chance to students who deserve it and if they pass all board exams, they get into residency as any other medical school's graduate.

The true is that all, so called big 3 schools like SGU, ROSS and AUA started out of hotel rooms and most of the students who attended them at that time are now licensed so there is absolutely no reason why a CMU student cant do the same.

Im not here to recruit students cause as I said earlier we have more than enough applications but Im here to defend those prospective students who are misled by you guys by stating that if they don't have MCAT and over 300,000 in cash/loans, they cant become licensed physicians. YES THEY CAN and CMU gives them a chance to achieve that dream.

In my opinion if you would be successful, licensed doctors, you wouldn't be even here. My guess is that you might be frustrated by the fact that there is a way less expensive way to become a physician and you hate it cause you have spent few times more in tuition.

In a few years none of you will be posting here admitting you were wrong and smart students know that. CMU will be there at that time with them when they attend, graduate, go through residency and get licensed. You will not.

By the way Im still waiting for an answer from SKIP on those questions:

I quote you "Why are you dodging the questions???"

CMU, with a class of over 100 per year...will you post your match list from the last 3 matches?

We just give a chance to students who deserve it and if they pass all board exams, they get into residency as any other medical school's graduate.

Citation needed. Post match lists please.

Like any other medical school that was not yet approved by CA and FL. Now answer my question.
+ New York, Alaska, Indiana, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Texas?

I will admit, I don't know much about CMU. BUT, if your medical school is not accredited by New York, as an IMG you are in a world of misery. NY has a large proportion of residency programs in the country and many that tend to be IMG friendly. I would not stake my future (money and time) on a promise made by faculty members of a school that will benefit financially from you enrolling. I'm not saying that CMU will not be approved/accredited, but I would wait until they are or go to another school.

As BANNED was saying, a match list would be nice. And those that are interested in going to CMU should goto the website of the programs CMU grads matched into and check for yourself if they are really matched there. As you will learn in any residency program, NEVER TRUST ANYONE.

Reactions: 1 users
By the way Im still waiting for an answer from SKIP on those questions:

I quote you "Why are you dodging the questions???"

Because, I don't answer to you. But, in the interest of getting you to STFU...

I currently hold medical licenses in four states. Since I've graduated, I've actively practiced in two states. The state I'm currently practicing in (which is up to me and only me to disclose, and no I won't here) I doubt your graduates can get a license.

My total personal student loan debt was around $140k. Of course, I graduated over 9 years ago. (But where you're getting this $300K+ number is beyond me?)

Bottom line: I am able to be licensed in all fifty (50) states and I'm not geographically limited should my situation change, and I and my family should have to move. I did my residency at a well-respected University program in a competitive specialty. There were no questions about my training and I am board-certified.

Now, how about you answer our questions? Or, more dodge... dodge... dodge...

1) Where can't your students get a license?
2) Why don't you offer a refund - even partial - if they can't get licensed?
3) Why don't you post a list of where your graduates are practicing medicine?
4) How many of your enrollees have gone on to graduate and practice medicine with an unrestricted license? Percent? Numbers?

-Skip

Not sure if you are for real?? Why were you transferring and from what school and for what reasons. An IMG that has transfers on their record diminishes the possibility of matching, FYI. Though interesting story I can only say we are hearing your side. Believe me I do not support CMU but somethings sounds a bit unusual...

Why are you saying that an IMG that transfers reduces his possibility of of matching?

I'm just curious.

I'm still waiting on that match list....am I wasting my time?

@bedevilled ben - CMU broke the law. My family and I are suffering a hardship because of their breach and abuses. Your attempts to trivialize the offense is concerning. I did my homework, and I protected myself. I have a case. I just never in a million years thought the CMU admin would stoop to such a degree of blatant bad faith and dishonest dealing. Hence the invocation of regulatory authorities and the prospect of a suit. I am outraged. And I think the 2000+ viewers of this and the valueMD threads are as well.

No you didn't. Had you done your homework, you would have realized CMU has a shady reputation, and would not have applied there in the first place. What happened to you does suck, but you made your own bed. Now you have to sleep in it.

Why are you saying that an IMG that transfers reduces his possibility of of matching?

I'm just curious.

Because residency programs have access to all of the information about where you've attended medical schools in the past. Seeing a student transfer from, for example a more reputable school like one of the Big 4, to a less-reputable one would be a red flag. It usually indicates dismissal, as in this case. Considering the uphill battle that Caribbean students face when it comes to residency matches, that can easily be enough to move your app to the bottom of the stack.

IMGs that transfer back to into US programs vastly improve their chances of matching, as their graduating institution is a US medical school. This is very costly, time-consuming, and exceedingly rare, however.

Because residency programs have access to all of the information about where you've attended medical schools in the past. Seeing a student transfer from, for example a more reputable school like one of the Big 4, to a less-reputable one would be a red flag. It usually indicates dismissal, as in this case. Considering the uphill battle that Caribbean students face when it comes to residency matches, that can easily be enough to move your app to the bottom of the stack.

IMGs that transfer back to into US programs vastly improve their chances of matching, as their graduating institution is a US medical school. This is very costly, time-consuming, and exceedingly rare, however.

What about transferring campuses of the university?
For example Mona campus and Cavehill campus of UWI.

Last edited:
Nice going, Skip, you scared him away... This was getting juicy.

What about transferring campuses of the university?
For example Mona campus and Cavehill campus of UWI.

So long as the institution from which you graduate is still UWI, then it will have no impact. I don't recall ever being asked which campus I studied at in any of my ECFMG applications. I haven't applied for residencies yet so I can't speak to ERAS applications, but I highly doubt they are interested in which campus you attended, just the institution from which you received your degree.

So, it's been a month? No additional info? No response?

-Skip

If I had any interest in CMU as a premed I would have noped out of applying there immediately after seeing how their rep went parading in this thread.

Really, You guys needs a better PR guy.

I applied to CMU & I have had a great experience. I paid my deposit + first semester tuition [Spring 2015]. Everything has been great! The faculty is wonderful.

I'm just curious.

A majority of people who transfer between Caribbean schools do so after failing out or needing additional Step 1 attempts. Getting the opportunity to plead one's case (face to face) doesn't happen without access to quality rotations in IMG friendly states. Without good rotations, in places where it's possible to prove yourself a solid residency candidate, it's a struggle.

I would like to say that I am a PROUD 4th YEAR CMU Student !!!!! I cannot thank my
medical school enough for allowing me to reach my dreams. I started all the way out in
Basic Sciences and now am finishing up my Clinical Sciences and on my way to Graduation
to become an M.D. Whenever I needed help and support, CMU was always there for me from
beginning to end. No matter what avenue I took, someone was always there to take care
of whatever I needed to get done. Getting in touch with my medical school's officials was never
a problem. They had it all covered: E-mail, telephone, online chat agents, etc. Someone always
responded 24/7. I can contact the Owner (CEO), Academic Dean, Clinical Dean, etc. anytime I
want and I will always get an answer and the help I need. I was blessed to have such great
instructors during basic sciences and was able to get my clinical rotations back to back at
Green Book Teaching hospitals. It's like one big family here at CMU where everybody knows each
other and helps each other succeed. Unlike other medical schools where the wait time can be
between 24 - 48 hours or even longer, I am surprised, grateful, and thankful
that my very own Academic Dean (Dr. R.J.) and the other staff respond to me within a few hours
and sometimes within minutes. Our Dean really goes the extra mile to help all his students whether
it be regarding tuition, help with academics, advice, residency application, etc. He works tirelessly
and endlessly to make sure our university succeeds. Our Academic Dean is really like a Big Brother
to all of us !! Like I said before, our Clinical Science portion and the Dean for Clinical Sciences was
on point too. Thank you, CMU, once again, for helping me to reach my goals.

I would like to say that I am a PROUD 4th YEAR CMU Student !!!!! I cannot thank my
medical school enough for allowing me to reach my dreams. I started all the way out in
Basic Sciences and now am finishing up my Clinical Sciences and on my way to Graduation
to become an M.D. Whenever I needed help and support, CMU was always there for me from
beginning to end. No matter what avenue I took, someone was always there to take care
of whatever I needed to get done. Getting in touch with my medical school's officials was never
a problem. They had it all covered: E-mail, telephone, online chat agents, etc. Someone always
responded 24/7. I can contact the Owner (CEO), Academic Dean, Clinical Dean, etc. anytime I
want and I will always get an answer and the help I need. I was blessed to have such great
instructors during basic sciences and was able to get my clinical rotations back to back at
Green Book Teaching hospitals. It's like one big family here at CMU where everybody knows each
other and helps each other succeed. Unlike other medical schools where the wait time can be
between 24 - 48 hours or even longer, I am surprised, grateful, and thankful
that my very own Academic Dean (Dr. R.J.) and the other staff respond to me within a few hours
and sometimes within minutes. Our Dean really goes the extra mile to help all his students whether
it be regarding tuition, help with academics, advice, residency application, etc. He works tirelessly
and endlessly to make sure our university succeeds. Our Academic Dean is really like a Big Brother
to all of us !! Like I said before, our Clinical Science portion and the Dean for Clinical Sciences was
on point too. Thank you, CMU, once again, for helping me to reach my goals.

Nobody who views this site will apply to CMU. I promise you that.

UPDATE: For those of you following the thread, in October 2014 because of the financial stress that CMU caused our family, my wife moved our children back in with her family where they have been living ever since. The stress was taxing on my marriage as well. I was forced to sell what little property we owned, and take up part time work as a staff attorney in between rotations to help offset the damages. I can attribute this all cuasatively to CMUs careless and corrupt administration. I will never forgive CMU for what they perpetrated. I have lost time with my young children as a result. They can never repay me for the personal damages and loss of consortium they have caused.

The claim against CMU in the IL dept of education was lodged and is on file with the IL Attorney General and Depts of Education. To my knowledge the Attorney General chose to act internally and did not disclose what action if any they took against CMU. However, the case will be additive and will be looked upon again as more victims forward and lodge complaints. The $1100 in damages is a paltry sum to litigate but like I said, our family felt the sting of CMU's disgraceful fraud. You will recall CMU's lawyers wanted a release and waiver to prevent me from suing them in the future and/or talking openly about their wrongdoings. And I can reassure this forum that their bribe was rejected, and I will continue to speak openly about their fraud and wrongdoing. They have never made any attempts to refund my deposit. They have made a lifetime adversary. Make no mistake about it.
Since this post was made, I have been contacted by former/other CMU applicants who have suffered similar if not identical torts at the hand of the CMU administration. This thread exposed them and there is no statute of limitations to a fraud. And as more and more students are defrauded by CMU and come forward, they will be added to a victim's class. And CMU will be facing restitution in the tens of thousands that will hit their bottom line hard. And this thread will put the CMU admin on guard and will allow the marketplace to be the trier of fact. Who is reading this forum now? Two groups... the CMU admin and every student who is considering applying there. So to you readers, I urge you to come forward to your local attorneys, the Attorney General of Chicago, and expose this corrupt admin. Lodge complaints and document them. And furthermore, you can use a pseudonym when filing your claims to protect your identify if you fear retaliation. This is all covered by federal whistleblower statutes and any readily searchable online.

As for me, I gained matriculation at another medical school, graduated with honors in most of my rotations, and am now applying for residency in, inter alia, orthopedic surgery. I have worked hard over these past two years to investigate not only CMU but several others as well. I have consulted with numerous litigators and parties thereto who have filed claims against various academic institutions. While on a side note this thread has obviously documented a personal trial and tribulation for me, it nevertheless points to an even bigger picture-- and a strong message --to all the CMU and other "Pirates in the Carribean", and rogue schools who are abusing innocent foreign national applicants... plaintiffs classes, attorney generals, and eventually the federal government will be coming after you -- make no mistake about it --- it is an eventuality, and I will be there to assist them. I continue to document the parties involved, and the movement of funds. There will be class action lawsuits filed eventually, and moneys stolen from innocent victims will be recovered and Admins like CMU's will be held accountable. Mark my words. Long after this thread and my grievance becomes a distant memory, CMU will regret the poor judgment they exercised and the consequences they will face. I am now an MD JD, one of about 50 that graduate in the USA each year, and with that great privilege comes great personal responsibility.

Yes, I could be spending my time writing briefs and memos for clients if money was all that mattered. I know I lose money every time I post here. I don't care. For me its personal.

To the prospective MDs who are reading this, I made it. I was one of the lucky ones. But for every one of me, there are several who didn't. And if you are one of those unfortunate statistics, this thread is for you. Because there's a cancer in many offshore schools like CMU and a culture of corruption that must be dealt with, I am dedicated to doing everything in my power to expose these tortfeasors. The exposure of these and other medical school scams, (and by the way US schools are equally as culpable, this isn't solely a Caribbean School specific issue), there will be swift justice. When you see the advertisements and documentaries on facebook, youtube, and maybe one day 60 mins, etc, blow these offshore scams wide open, and you'll hear of ways to file complaints, and how to get affordable representation, you'll know that it came about in part because of "problem students" like me, who were unwilling to accept corruption and injustice in order to 'fall in line' and turn a blind eye to the fraud and the damage that these schools are causing in the lives of innocents.

It's September, and matriculation at CMU is in high season. No doubt there are likely a whole new batch of victims that have or likely will be preyed upon by this CMU scam. So to all of you, start a facebook page, a blog, a thread whatever. Expose the scam. Just don't sit there and do nothing. And keep moving forward, apply elsewhere and achieve your goals.

Wait, you're hoping to match ortho after getting kicked out of Caribbean Medical University?

Also, you say "you've made it," but you haven't yet. You have to get a residency to have made it. Congrats on your success so far, but you need to actually match to "make it."

I HIGHLY doubt orthopedic surgery is happening and by that I mean aint. Let's all be honest here, we all know at least one orthopedic surgery resident and they didn't start their journey at CMU.

@MDesquire After CMU did you end up matriculating at a US school or another Caribbean school? Were you able to just enroll for 3rd year rotations?

As for me, I gained matriculation at another medical school, graduated with honors in most of my rotations, and am now applying for residency in, inter alia, orthopedic surgery.

WADR, I would focus on (and expect) the inter alia. You don't want to end-up without a residency after your catalog of other poor decisions, namely choosing this school in the first place and then getting into (and continuing) a pissing match with them.

-Skip