Breaking the contract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esfh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly are the penalties for breaking your match contract? Is it true that your matched program may not let you leave/not show up? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

esfh said:
What exactly are the penalties for breaking your match contract? Is it true that your matched program may not let you leave/not show up? Thanks in advance!

In order to fulfill the match contract, you have to sign the initial contract and show up for the first day. Once you have done that, you have fulfilled your obligation to the match. Of course, you have now signed a one year contract with that hospital and if you stop showing up, you have to deal with those consequences.

If you decide not to sign a contract with your matched hospital, the hospital can (and is probably obligated to, but may choose not to) report this to the NRMP. If they do, you are subject to being banned from using the match in the future. I dont think they generally ban you for life though. Also, they can penalize any other hospital that you sign with this year if they also participate in the match.

Just my 2 cents

The penalties will cary depending on how you choose to handle the situation. If you know today that you do not wish to fulfill your contract, your penalties will likely be less if you contact your PD and give them fair warning to find another resident to fill your spot. Most will not penalize you for this action.

However, while legally your have fulfilled the match contract with NRMP by agreeing to sign a contract with your program, if you wait until July 1 and then back out, I am sure this will not be looked upon favorably. The NRMP can ban you from using their services for future matches and your PD may make it difficult for you to find another position, since most other programs will want a letter from your current PD in reference.