Quantcast

Breaking contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visceral0775

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
14

Members don't see this ad.
A few days ago I gave my PD the verbal “ok” that I want to renew my residency contract for next year; however, have yet to sign anything. I am waiting to hear back from a different residency (different specialty) that I am trying to transfer into. If they accept me, how bad would it be to renege on my current contract obligations?
 

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
35,288
Reaction score
13,390
You haven’t signed anything, so you wouldn’t be reneging.

Clearly your PD probably wouldn't be very happy, but you need to take care of yourself and your career.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

ThoracicGuy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
11,120
Reaction score
26,602
A few days ago I gave my PD the verbal “ok” that I want to renew my residency contract for next year; however, have yet to sign anything. I am waiting to hear back from a different residency (different specialty) that I am trying to transfer into. If they accept me, how bad would it be to renege on my current contract obligations?

Is this different residency program sending a contract or just a consideration for an interview. You won't be able to leave your own program hanging for too long if you're just interviewing for a possible position.
 

visceral0775

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
14
Is this different residency program sending a contract or just a consideration for an interview. You won't be able to leave your own program hanging for too long if you're just interviewing for a possible position.
I already interviewed. It's a different residency program. They were just checking to see if my credits would transfer and I was told I was their "top pick" but of course none of that means anything without a contract. This is why I told my current PD I would renew.
 

ThoracicGuy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
11,120
Reaction score
26,602
I already interviewed. It's a different residency program. They were just checking to see if my credits would transfer and I was told I was their "top pick" but of course none of that means anything without a contract. This is why I told my current PD I would renew.

You have a little bit of time to allow the other place to let you know, but not a bunch of time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

draker80

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2013
Messages
20
Reaction score
6
I already interviewed. It's a different residency program. They were just checking to see if my credits would transfer and I was told I was their "top pick" but of course none of that means anything without a contract. This is why I told my current PD I would renew.

I would be very careful in “trusting” that you are top pick, unless you have something in writing don’t even talk about it. Once your home program know you plan on leaving, your best case scenario will be no one will help you out in your future career.
Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
35,288
Reaction score
13,390
I already interviewed. It's a different residency program. They were just checking to see if my credits would transfer and I was told I was their "top pick" but of course none of that means anything without a contract. This is why I told my current PD I would renew.
Make sure the other program is aware that if they are seriously considering you, you need an answer very soon and won't be able to delay signing your contract once you receive it (potentially the end of this week/early next week). This is well past the time when most residency programs renew contracts, so I'm honestly surprised they have waited this long.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
8,727
Reaction score
8,881
A few days ago I gave my PD the verbal “ok” that I want to renew my residency contract for next year; however, have yet to sign anything. I am waiting to hear back from a different residency (different specialty) that I am trying to transfer into. If they accept me, how bad would it be to renege on my current contract obligations?
A verbal contract is worth exactly as much as the paper it's written on. (a bit of an exaggeration - but it's likely it won't be pursued)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
8,727
Reaction score
8,881
What won't be pursued???
Technically oral contracts *can* be pursued in a court of law. That is, if the program acts on your assurance and suffers costs from that, an oral contracts is a contract.

But it's extremely unlikely to be something that would be pursued.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

visceral0775

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
14
Technically oral contracts *can* be pursued in a court of law. That is, if the program acts on your assurance and suffers costs from that, an oral contracts is a contract.

But it's extremely unlikely to be something that would be pursued.
I’m in a really bad predicament. I already told the place I wanted to transfer to that I needed to withdraw bc of contractual obligations at my current program. I can’t imagine continuing on at my current program but I also don’t wanna be without a position. I considered contacting the program I withdrew from and asking if the spot was still open. I realize this isn’t a great decision but this is the rest of my life...
 

ThoracicGuy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2013
Messages
11,120
Reaction score
26,602
I’m in a really bad predicament. I already told the place I wanted to transfer to that I needed to withdraw bc of contractual obligations at my current program. I can’t imagine continuing on at my current program but I also don’t wanna be without a position. I considered contacting the program I withdrew from and asking if the spot was still open. I realize this isn’t a great decision but this is the rest of my life...

Well, then, it looks like you're stuck where you are at... Make the best of it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
35,288
Reaction score
13,390
I’m in a really bad predicament. I already told the place I wanted to transfer to that I needed to withdraw bc of contractual obligations at my current program. I can’t imagine continuing on at my current program but I also don’t wanna be without a position. I considered contacting the program I withdrew from and asking if the spot was still open. I realize this isn’t a great decision but this is the rest of my life...
The appropriate action would have been to let them know that you needed a decision within 48 hours otherwise you would need to sign your contract at your current location, but trying to walk back an actual withdrawal seems unlikely. You have very little to lose by asking, but chances are you're stuck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

visceral0775

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
14
The appropriate action would have been to let them know that you needed a decision within 48 hours otherwise you would need to sign your contract at your current location, but trying to walk back an actual withdrawal seems unlikely. You have very little to lose by asking, but chances are you're stuck.
Agreed. That was my mistake. Hindsight is always 20/20.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Top