Oct 21, 2012
A little planet called Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
Did any of you have to deal with a breakup months before you took your MCAT? My boyfriend broke up with me last week and we've been together for 2 years. I was going to start studying for it over break but due to this I decided not to. I'm taking the MCAT in May, any advice ?

Last edited:

Chemistry Cat 3.0

Cylon Model 21
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking the MCAT in May too, and I have just started studying yesterday. I think you should use this as an opportunity to do really good on the MCAT and show him how valuable you can be (hint. Elle Woods).

Your willpower is infinite.

Reactions: prettyNURSEtoMD

mnsman

5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2012
Status
Did any of you have to deal with a breakup months before you took your MCAT? My boyfriend broke up with me last week and we've been together for 2 years. I was going to start studying for it over break but due to this I decided not to. I'm taking the MCAT in May, any advice ?
Find a new boyfriend ~.o

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
On a serious note. Just start later. I had mine in may and started studying in January. If you are going for 30-50 hours of studying a week then that is WAY too much time. It was for me at least. I started to see diminishing returns at 10-12 weeks. From my experience I would suggest only studying for about that long. The most important lesson I will take from my mcat studying is quality > quantity. I thought that just the longer I studied the better, but I could've gotten by with 8 weeks of targeted studying.

I suggest taking a week or two in Jan. To relax and be you, get your crap together. Then hit it hard in Feb

Both the boyfriend and the mcat will be nothing but a memory in a couple years

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Elevencents

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2011
Status
I started to really burn out around 2.5 months in so I would enjoy the next few weeks then start.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Found out my fiance was cheating on me a few months before the MCAT. Broke it off, gave her stuff back, told her I never wanted to speak to her again. Nailed the MCAT and still did well in all of my classes because I used my anger at the whole thing to push me forward. Living well is the best revenge, after all. Use that emotion as fuel, don't let it go to waste in a fit of tears and self pity.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Move on and focus on yourself OP. You got this!

Last edited:

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's probably for the best. I was in a 5 year relationship before starting school. We broke up 6 months into my first year. It's hard to do well in school and have a healthy relationship, especially if the other person is naive to the demands of medicine. You'll meet a ton of new and interesting people. I wouldn't worry about it.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you have to post-pone it by a month or two, its ok. But as others said, just do well and see it as revenge. Then get into medical school to show he's missing out on a successful s/o.

One word of advice, cut all communication with him and make sure to block him/defriend him on social media. Last thing you want is to see how his life is going as you study full steam ahead for the MCAT.

Nov 3, 2013
Midwestern, US
Just one man's opinion, but screw all the thoughts of revenge or sticking it to your ex. You are focused on your future, so you need to let the past be past. You are moving on to bigger and better things as of the day he broke up with you. Godspeed.

Reactions: NCOldie
Jul 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
You planned to take the MCAT and go to medical school for yourself, not for your boyfriend (now ex). You should probably stick to that plan and carry it out. When I had a really, really bad break-up I went off course and now I am a non-traditional student. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I agree that you should take some time, though. Take a couple of weeks, grab a friend or more and have fun. Have fun being single! Create a plan of attack for the MCAT and then move on to actually studying for it. Good luck! :)

Reactions: DoctorKrieger

coolingglasses

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2012
do not try to swim to europe
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just one man's opinion, but screw all the thoughts of revenge or sticking it to your ex. You are focused on your future, so you need to let the past be past. You are moving on to bigger and better things as of the day he broke up with you. Godspeed.
I'm saying, time heals all wounds but in the mean time those feelings have to go somewhere. You might as well channel them into being ultra productive.

Reactions: touchpause13

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This.

OP, if I recall correctly, you seem a bit afraid of the MCAT. Its just a test, don't worry about it. Don't change your academic plans because of something like this. If anything, studying and keeping busy on the strict schedule you need is probably a good way to forget about the past, move on, and continue to focus on your goals.