urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Have you guys ever noticed that whenever you fart the OR nurse has to come to the anesthesia cart to look for something?

One time I popped a big one during a GI case and the OR nurse thought they had perforated the colon.

Anyone with funny stories?

dfk

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
i worked for the new yorker. i can't fart anymore.

About the Ads

MechE

Med School's Slave
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GrmCRPrOgM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

powermd

SDN Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2003
Northeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Have you guys ever noticed that whenever you fart the OR nurse has to come to the anesthesia cart to look for something?

One time I popped a big one during a GI case and the OR nurse thought they had perforated the colon.

I always wondered when this topic would "rear" it's head.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
that actually happened to me on Thursday.. the attending was doing a hysterectomy on a women who had a hernia repair with one of those meshes. and the mesh was adherent to the bowel, after resecting the mesh it began to smell like fecal matter in the room. No one said anything and I just thought to myself it didn't look like he nicked the bowel....

But I would say as long as the music is loud enough so that you can't hear it, there are enough people in the room and enough air circulation, and masks where it wouldn't be a big deal if it happened.

Lonestar

15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
Status (Visible)

One time I aaah let one go during induction of a kidde for Tonsillectomy. The nurses thought the kiddie let out a big brown one and changed the diaper. I felt so embarrased to never the correct the nurses. :D

In one of my days volunteering there was a case where the pt. was getting one of her too many spinal fusions. So Im guessing the pt had been laying in the supine position for quite a few days so once she was out they flipped her and cause I was there so frequently they allowed me to be one of the "catchers." SO we flip her fine once we get her strapped down in the prone position the tightening of the strap exerted the pressure on her stomach/intestinal tract and **** **** herself! It was the worst smell EVER! Even the asian surgeon who I was convinced didn't speak english muttered out "HOLY ****!"

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A few yrs ago I let one out during a c section. Big mistake. The poor lady got to "enjoy" most of it and was looking around with disapproval.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status (Visible)

I've currently reviewed the thread in its entirety.

I've got one comment:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks, Urge.

And thanks for the funny replies that followed.:thumbup:

About the Ads

MacBook

back in again...
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Alberta
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

...and you wonder why your patients wake up in recovery nausious.

hotroddin

10+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
Status (Visible)
Just get out the sevoflurane , pour a couple cc's on the anesthesia machine. Disconnect the pt for a second from vent, point Y piece at the poured sevo. Press fresh O2. Tell everyone you just fixed a leak on anesthesia machine. The smell should be gone by then.

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
USA
Status (Visible)
i figured the air circulates so much in the OR that i can get away with it. on another note, its easiest in the icu rooms. the patients dont complain much there either.

Coastie

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In one of my days volunteering there was a case where the pt. was getting one of her too many spinal fusions. So Im guessing the pt had been laying in the supine position for quite a few days so once she was out they flipped her and cause I was there so frequently they allowed me to be one of the "catchers." SO we flip her fine once we get her strapped down in the prone position the tightening of the strap exerted the pressure on her stomach/intestinal tract and **** **** herself! It was the worst smell EVER! Even the asian surgeon who I was convinced didn't speak english muttered out "HOLY ****!"

That's not funny you d-bag. Good luck in pre-med land.

MacBook

back in again...
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Alberta
Status (Visible)
Oh waw that's good. Being the lady that I am, if it's really bad and there is no escape route I just take credit for it :ninja:

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Nowhere particular
The VA where I moonlight has a large open-bay PACU with 10 slots. The one general surgeon there does nothing on Fridays but endoscopies. The pts are encouraged to let their post-scope gas escape, as it helps assure us that the bowel isn't perfed.

So, picture it .... on any given Friday, there will be half-dozen grizzled vets in the PACU, all trying to out-fart each other. "Hey Bill, this is for you ... rrrrrrriiiipppppppppppppppp." "Oh yeah, Tom, try this one on for size ... fffffffffllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttt."

KNC

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
The Burgh
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
When I am scrubbed and can't hold on to it any longer, I just tell the surgeon that I have an instrument in the autoclave and go to the sub-sterile room. The only problem with that is it tends to linger under the gown so you have to wait at least a minute before you go back.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The VA where I moonlight has a large open-bay PACU with 10 slots. The one general surgeon there does nothing on Fridays but endoscopies. The pts are encouraged to let their post-scope gas escape, as it helps assure us that the bowel isn't perfed.

So, picture it .... on any given Friday, there will be half-dozen grizzled vets in the PACU, all trying to out-fart each other. "Hey Bill, this is for you ... rrrrrrriiiipppppppppppppppp." "Oh yeah, Tom, try this one on for size ... fffffffffllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttt."
hahahaha....that is absolutely hilarious

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I love the Anesthesiology subforum.

About the Ads

zmeister22

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank God someone brought this up. I get this at school all of the time. It never fails, no matter how late, no matter how isolated of a place, as soon as I rip one, someone walks by. After sitting at school for 12 hours and holding it when I have to, it gets pretty bad (I stank out the anatomy lab during an intestinal dissection:oops:). What the hell am I going to do when I have to stand in the same spot for hours on end in close proximity to people, including program directors that have my future in their hands????? I'm doomed.

Calilove

"Louisianimal"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 13, 2007
Southern Comfort
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've let out quite a few during my days in the O.R., and they're magnetic to the nurses. Without fail, they immediately come and stand next to me to spark up some insane conversation... i think they actually like my farts!

On another hand, I let out a big one during a peds case. The surgeons started asking, do u think i nicked the bowel! I was saying 2 myself, oh s###! I woulda confessed, but the stink went away....

Bertelman

Maverick!
Feb 12, 2006
Had a Cooch
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Though about this thread today. I was a bit gassy, I'm not sure why. Cases over for the day, dropped off the last one in PACU, returned to the room to retrieve the last of my gear. Tech had just left after restocking. Just me and an empty OR. Safe for flatus, right?

...or so I thought...

Mere seconds after I passed gas, I see the door open up, and she walks right back in with a couple LR bags, "I forgot these". I was standing in front of the cart, she proceeded to then lean over to stock the bottom drawer, basically in firing range of my essence.

I can only hope that since the vector was 180 degrees from her face, combined with the 2-3 second delay granted by diffusion across my scrubs, she was able to emerge without too strong a hit. Worst part, she was just in that room, also alone, so she can only blame the stank on me.

I'll never know, but I swear she choked a little as she stood back up.

MacBook

back in again...
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Alberta
Status (Visible)
Have had this happen so many times. You go ahead and do it because you are not expecting anyone to come near you for a while btu Murphy's Law will always prove you wrong. I now just take credit for it and move on with my life :smuggrin:

Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
The South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
:D
I am sure your tech knows that people do pass gas sometimes, so it probably was not a total surprise to her finding out that you too can pass gas.

Though about this thread today. I was a bit gassy, I'm not sure why. Cases over for the day, dropped off the last one in PACU, returned to the room to retrieve the last of my gear. Tech had just left after restocking. Just me and an empty OR. Safe for flatus, right?

...or so I thought...

Mere seconds after I passed gas, I see the door open up, and she walks right back in with a couple LR bags, "I forgot these". I was standing in front of the cart, she proceeded to then lean over to stock the bottom drawer, basically in firing range of my essence.

I can only hope that since the vector was 180 degrees from her face, combined with the 2-3 second delay granted by diffusion across my scrubs, she was able to emerge without too strong a hit. Worst part, she was just in that room, also alone, so she can only blame the stank on me.

I'll never know, but I swear she choked a little as she stood back up.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
Have had this happen so many times. You go ahead and do it because you are not expecting anyone to come near you for a while btu Murphy's Law will always prove you wrong. I now just take credit for it and move on with my life :smuggrin:

Oh no! Deny 'til you die!

psychbender

Cynical Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Nowhere, nowhere at all...
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
fm792078.gif

Own up to your emissions.

Gas gas gas!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.