breasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3/5 months of my internship thus far have been at least partially devoted to that mighty structure, the boob. Either lopping them off or building new ones.

I cannot even count the number of times that patients have asked me about-- or tried to grab-- my own set of knockers. I think the "what would you do if it were you?" questions are totally normal, and I get them with a variety of patients who have a variety of conditions.

But it totally crosses the line-- size comparisons, asking to feel me up, etc.

WS, does this happen to you? Or other female residents?

(And no, I'm not ridiculously stacked or anything).

Members don't see this ad.

3/5 months of my internship thus far have been at least partially devoted to that mighty structure, the boob. Either lopping them off or building new ones.

I cannot even count the number of times that patients have asked me about-- or tried to grab-- my own set of knockers. I think the "what would you do if it were you?" questions are totally normal, and I get them with a variety of patients who have a variety of conditions.

Yes it does happen to me and my business partner.

I don't recall it happening as much during residency but I honestly didn't do much breast stuff then (it was almost all done at our outpatient surgery center which we weren't encouraged/allowed to go to) and wearing scrubs and a lab coat probably wasn't as enticing (or revealing). I did get plenty of sexually inappropriate comments otherwise especially from the losers on trauma and dirty old vasculopaths and vets.

We both have had patients ask us if we have implants (or ask us if the other has them) and I have had more than one patient touch my breasts. One "poked" me with her index finger and asked if "they" were "real". Another asked to examine me as I told her that her breasts were of normal consistency/lumpiness.

But these are outliers and of course, I have the option of terminating them from the practice (which I did with the two who actually touched me and the sexually inappropriate male patient); you do not have that luxury although you should feel comfortable telling your attendings that you do not care to see patient X again.

What *you* describe has not been my experience and I would be appalled at anyone having to experience such things. I cannot say whether it is the environment in which you are training (perhaps more liberal where patients feel more like friends than patients), your age (presumably younger than I), your status (interns are not often considered to be physicians by the lay public) or your demeanor with patients. The latter is not meant to shift blame but I've been told that I can project a "stay away" vibe which may result in fewer such interactions (its probably why I am still single ;) ).

Feel free to PM me if you like to discuss anything privately.

These are all female patients, mostly middle aged and older, and there's never been a sexual vibe.

I've placed a psychoanalytic spin on things and thought these are women in a time of extreme stress (a cancer diagnosis, formulating an operative plan) on a structure which deeply impacts their sense of femininity, youth, mortality, and even identity.

But I never experienced those blurred boundaries as a student, or with patients with other diagnoses. I suppose I found it shocking that someone would think it acceptable to take an action permissible only as part of a professional, clinical encounter (examining the breast) and take a whack at it themselves.

Glad it's not just me, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
These are all female patients, mostly middle aged and older, and there's never been a sexual vibe.

With the exception of the male patients, I haven't had any sexual vibes either from my female patients who have done such things.

I've placed a psychoanalytic spin on things and thought these are women in a time of extreme stress (a cancer diagnosis, formulating an operative plan) on a structure which deeply impacts their sense of femininity, youth, mortality, and even identity.

That's as insightful as any other reason for the behavior. Clearly dealing with breast cancer affects women (and their partners) as breast is a symbol of femininity, youthfulness, nurturing, motherhood, and sexuality. For some women, the fear of cancer overwhelms their fear of losing these and for others, the opposite appears to be true.

But I never experienced those blurred boundaries as a student, or with patients with other diagnoses. I suppose I found it shocking that someone would think it acceptable to take an action permissible only as part of a professional, clinical encounter (examining the breast) and take a whack at it themselves.

I think it the nature of breast patients. They can just be *different*. Obviously we all know about the high maintenance aspect but many of them form a bond with their medical practitioners in which they cross those boundaries. Boundaries that are generally clear to your biliary, cardiac, etc. patients.

Breast patients ask me all sorts of personal questions that I've never encountered in other patient populations; they will spend more time talking about my shoes than what we should do surgically (as I try to gently guide them back away from questions about where I get my pedicures or who does my hair). My partner is much less showy than I in terms of clothes and hair but still gets the same personal dialogue from her patients (although she gets called by her first name much more often than I do).

But yeah...it is shocking that anyone would even consider these things appropriate. Then again, I find it shocking that anyone would consider walking in expecting to see me without an appointment, and when squeezed in later in the same day, show up 45 minutes late and think that's ok (that happened today). One of these days I will cease to be amazed at what some people do.

Glad it's not just me, though!

No its not just you.

BTW, have you done any transplant yet?

I wonder if it is related to the inappropriate touching that women sometimes do to a pregnant belly. Perhaps both battling breast cancer and recalling one's own pregnancy and delivery evoke a deep-seated need for some women to connect--almost in a "war brother" sort of way.

With the exception of the male patients, I haven't had any sexual vibes either from my female patients who have done such things.

That's as insightful as any other reason for the behavior. Clearly dealing with breast cancer affects women (and their partners) as breast is a symbol of femininity, youthfulness, nurturing, motherhood, and sexuality. For some women, the fear of cancer overwhelms their fear of losing these and for others, the opposite appears to be true.

I think it the nature of breast patients. They can just be *different*. Obviously we all know about the high maintenance aspect but many of them form a bond with their medical practitioners in which they cross those boundaries. Boundaries that are generally clear to your biliary, cardiac, etc. patients.

Breast patients ask me all sorts of personal questions that I've never encountered in other patient populations; they will spend more time talking about my shoes than what we should do surgically (as I try to gently guide them back away from questions about where I get my pedicures or who does my hair). My partner is much less showy than I in terms of clothes and hair but still gets the same personal dialogue from her patients (although she gets called by her first name much more often than I do).

But yeah...it is shocking that anyone would even consider these things appropriate. Then again, I find it shocking that anyone would consider walking in expecting to see me without an appointment, and when squeezed in later in the same day, show up 45 minutes late and think that's ok (that happened today). One of these days I will cease to be amazed at what some people do.

No its not just you.

BTW, have you done any transplant yet?

You know, I don't remember anything similar happening on ob/gyn. That's a female-dominated speciality (like breast surgery) with an all-female population (basically like breast surgery) dealing with lady parts. And yet there was never that sense of coziness or girl talk or what have you. And no patient attempted a pelvic exam on me. :)

We do transplant as R2s. So far for me, I've had vascular + surg onc, plastics, pedi surg, burns, trauma, and am back on the same vascular + onc service I started on. Our bariatric-heavy service is next, which is essentially purgatory for the intern. By far our least-liked rotation.

I've been extremely happy here and think it's a phenomenal program.

You know, I don't remember anything similar happening on ob/gyn. That's a female-dominated speciality (like breast surgery) with an all-female population (basically like breast surgery) dealing with lady parts. And yet there was never that sense of coziness or girl talk or what have you. And no patient attempted a pelvic exam on me. :)

True. There is more of a taboo talking about "down there" than there is breasts (so patients tend to be more business like or reserved) and IMHO, female Obs tend to be less approachable than female GS.

We do transplant as R2s. So far for me, I've had vascular + surg onc, plastics, pedi surg, burns, trauma, and am back on the same vascular + onc service I started on. Our bariatric-heavy service is next, which is essentially purgatory for the intern. By far our least-liked rotation.

Well, bariatrics is purgatory for almost all interns, regardless of program.

I am very close friends with one of your transplant attendings which is why I asked. Thought I could see how you were doing. ;)

I've been extremely happy here and think it's a phenomenal program.

Glad to hear. You will get excellent training there.

WS, why is bariatrics "purgatory" for interns?

WS, why is bariatrics "purgatory" for interns?

I'll take a stab at this one. While the bariatric operations are pretty neat, the patients can be emotionally needy as well as medically very complex. Where I am it's a very high volume service, combined with high volume, medically complex foregut patients. Additionally, bariatric complications are often nightmarish, and the need for additional interventions can be high. Finally, as many interns are warned, bariatric patients can smolder with a problem, showing minimal outward clinical signs (gastro-jejunal leaks classically present with mild tachycardia or a small decrease in urine output, folllowed by complete and sudden cardiovascular collapse in this patient population) so there is the constant stress of worrying whether the patient is going to die on you at any second.

It's a very hard service for the interns. Tons of paperwork, tons of turnover, tons of emotionally needy patients, and potential for catastrophic complications. But, it makes you a better doctor by the end of the rotation.

PS: bariatrics was the only service that routinely brought me to tears as an intern (not at the hospital. The only way I decided I could survive was if I allowed myself to cry on my commute home, the get out of the car and go on with my life).

I'll take a stab at this one. While the bariatric operations are pretty neat, the patients can be emotionally needy as well as medically very complex. Where I am it's a very high volume service, combined with high volume, medically complex foregut patients. Additionally, bariatric complications are often nightmarish, and the need for additional interventions can be high. Finally, as many interns are warned, bariatric patients can smolder with a problem, showing minimal outward clinical signs (gastro-jejunal leaks classically present with mild tachycardia or a small decrease in urine output, folllowed by complete and sudden cardiovascular collapse in this patient population) so there is the constant stress of worrying whether the patient is going to die on you at any second.

It's a very hard service for the interns. Tons of paperwork, tons of turnover, tons of emotionally needy patients, and potential for catastrophic complications. But, it makes you a better doctor by the end of the rotation.

PS: bariatrics was the only service that routinely brought me to tears as an intern (not at the hospital. The only way I decided I could survive was if I allowed myself to cry on my commute home, the get out of the car and go on with my life).

Yep, that's pretty much it. We also had a large bariatrics service:

emotionally damaged women (usually) who glom onto you and sometimes don't realize that the problem isn't the weight, its what got them to that weight

potentially catastrophic complications (its pretty hard to see a 35 yo drop dead in front of you from a massive post-op PE)

others who are trying to die but decide to hide the symptoms or have impossible physical examinations

lots of ER calls (ie, like transplant patients, once a bariatric patient, always a bariatric patient).

lots of middle of the night calls ( I received a call at 0230-300 am as an intern from a GBP patient who managed to stretch her pouch and wanted the surgeon to revise it so she could lose weight. He refused until she underwent *more* psychological counseling to learn why she defeated the surgery before. She paged his intern on call (*me*) one night/early morning to "discuss" this and wanted to know what I thought. I politely told her that I thought she should discuss this with her surgeon rather than me. I did not tell her what I really thought of her calling me at 300 am.) This crap was all too common, along with the whining and crying phone calls from post-op patients about being nauseated, or dumping, etc.

interns aren't doing these cases, so you reap all of the punishment and none of the rewards of operating

I'll admit the topic sparked my interest, but disappointed due to lack of pictures.

A serious question for WS, I'm a male, and very interested in breast surgery, is it hard for a male breast surgeon to create a good patient base relative to a female, a la Ob/Gyn, or is it pretty even steven? I sincerely doubt a negative response will deter me from doing it, but it would be nice to know.

thanks

Not to preempt WS who obviously can speak to this the best, but I would say that there are still plenty of male surgeons who perform breast surgery and that it is not a deterrent. In fact, we have an old "grey fox" attending who is very handsome to the older lady set (I find him slimey) and women pack his waiting room for their lumpectomies (also b/c he has been doing it for decades and is well known). Our academic service has 2 surg onc trained males who are also very well respected and do primarily breast.

Speaking as a woman, it is more important to me to have a female OB than a female breast surgeon. Maybe it's my profession, but I don't have a lot of modesty/emotional issues surrounding the boobs, maybe b/c I see them for the big lumps of fat that they are.

The program I trained at had a male breast surgeon who was loved and revered by his patients. Nice guy to work with from a resident standpoint as well. He was a good guy and I would have no qualms referring pts to him.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have never had a patient ask to feel me up, but I have a few head injury types accomplish a grab that may or may not have been targeted (sometimes they just like to grab anything). Never had any size comparison questions either. We don't do a lot of breast here though, so that may be why. The cancer patients we get tend to be more of the fungating through the skin versus the simple stuff. They tend to be less focused on what it will look like when we are done.

I have never had a patient ask to feel me up, but I have a few head injury types accomplish a grab that may or may not have been targeted (sometimes they just like to grab anything). Never had any size comparison questions either. We don't do a lot of breast here though, so that may be why. The cancer patients we get tend to be more of the fungating through the skin versus the simple stuff. They tend to be less focused on what it will look like when we are done.
You're a girl??? Never knew all this time.

At my program, our breast surgeons are about half male and female. I've never noticed a problem with any female patients wanting female breast surgeons. The male surgeons' clinics are always packed, and the patients are just happy to get the problem taken care of because it's such an emotionally-charged diagnosis. When I was in breast clinic they seemed a lot less concerned about modesty (as in, no real concern) than my patients on OB/GYN. Perhaps it's the older patient population.

Although I have nothing to add to or gain from this topic, I find myself frequently re-checking it to read the new posts.....there's just something compelling about the title.

I guess that's why young males are such an easy marketing target. There's some simple things that never fail to get our attention......

Before I even read SLuser's post, I was going to drop in and say I wanted to see if anything was going on...

Guys, shut up!!

Let's get this thread back to just BD ad WS talkin bout boobs.

There were too many words. This is a topic that benefits from visual aids.

There were too many words. This is a topic that benefits from visual aids.
Your wish is my command. Check out these boobies:

Dancing%20Blue%20Footed%20Boobies.JPG

Thinking about it all, the size comparisons felt more invasive than the grabbing. They would get all huffy if I opted not to reveal my bra size. And there would always be the inevitable left-handed compliments...

"I want to look like you, only, you know, bigger..."

Or.. "What size are you? DD?" (which almost merits either a head CT or an ophtho consult... and made me feel like a bimbo)

Or-- "you're a C cup, right?" (reluctantly) "Yes." "OK, so I just need to feel exactly how much a C cup is. Like, how much of my hand it covers, OK?" Not OK!

And in an analogous area of medicine, when I was on my urology rotation (re: penile prosthetic implants), I don't remember the guys grabbing my privates at any point during our discussions in the examination room. Maybe it's only something specific to breasts? LOL

Last edited:
And in an analogous area of medicine, when I was on my urology rotation (re: penile prosthetic implants), I don't remember the guys grabbing my privates at any point during our discussions in the examination room. Maybe it's only something specific to breasts? LOL

Current fashion also doesn't involve highlighting those features. Perhaps in the codpiece days they were grabbing all the time?

I'll admit the topic sparked my interest, but disappointed due to lack of pictures.

A serious question for WS, I'm a male, and very interested in breast surgery, is it hard for a male breast surgeon to create a good patient base relative to a female, a la Ob/Gyn, or is it pretty even steven? I sincerely doubt a negative response will deter me from doing it, but it would be nice to know.

thanks

There's not much to add to the excellent comments made above.

The vast majority of breast care in this country is offered by male general surgeons who generally do a good job. Heck, some of my best friends are male breast fellowship trained surgeons. ;) These are find caring men who are often more family oriented than typical surgeons; many find the field and research interesting (so you see them at more academic programs) and many are attracted by the multidisciplinary focus and heavy clinic.

Like Ob there will be some patients who prefer a female surgeon under the misguided belief that they will be more sympathetic. OTOH, there is a certain population that prefers male doctors in general (I had one recently who outrightly told me that she prefers males. When I inquired why, she responded, "they're smarter". Of course, she is status post TBI so I didn't fault her for her incorrect beliefs. ;) ).

However, it is my experience that breast surgery is more male friendly than OB. There is only 1 fellowship program (at Wm Beaumont) in which we were told they preferred female fellows because of the large Muslim population there (in which it was felt that males would not be accepted by the patients and their families).

If you are good at what you do, compassionate and up to date on treatments, you will succeed.

Perhaps you were joking but from a psychosocial standpoint, women's bodies have been objectified and depersonalized a lot longer than the male phallus. As any pregnant woman will tell you, it is seemingly considered acceptable to touch a woman without her permission.

Thinking about it all, the size comparisons felt more invasive than the grabbing. They would get all huffy if I opted not to reveal my bra size. And there would always be the inevitable left-handed compliments...

"I want to look like you, only, you know, bigger..."

Or.. "What size are you? DD?" (which almost merits either a head CT or an ophtho consult... and made me feel like a bimbo)

Why would being a DD make you feel like a bimbo? :confused:

Or-- "you're a C cup, right?" (reluctantly) "Yes." "OK, so I just need to feel exactly how much a C cup is. Like, how much of my hand it covers, OK?" Not OK!

That's odd. I've never heard of someone who cared about how much of their breast was covered by their hands.

Perhaps you were joking but from a psychosocial standpoint, women's bodies have been objectified and depersonalized a lot longer than the male phallus. As any pregnant woman will tell you, it is seemingly considered acceptable to touch a woman without her permission.

I was joking. On my rotation that included some breast surgery, I never saw any inappropriate touching by the patient. Though it is true I've seen people feel they can touch a pregnant belly, though usually if someone else is already doing so.

Every time I get an email notification from this thread (subject: Reply to thread 'breasts'), I just think "where oh where is glade?" God rest his trolling soul.

BD, you do get yourself into the most interesting predicaments!

For what it's worth, I spent two months on that service, and another month on burns/plastics (way too much plastics for someone who never wanted to be a plastic surgeon; but at least my skin closures never look shoddy or break down, and I'm still batting .000 for surgical site infections, all of which I credit to their training), and only once did a patient ask me my cup size, or make any kind of comparison.

Well it finally happened BD.

I had a patient yesterday seen in follow-up (2 weeks since her primary consultation) who said, "your breasts look larger than they did the first time I saw you."

Out of the blue. We were not talking about me. We were talking about her breast pain.

Of course she is a bit strange, not strange in the "VA patient you know it when you see it type" but strange in the "you know it when she starts talking at length" - ie, her Vit D levels were apparently low and so her physician put on her supplementation. She heard that Vit D is good for breast health, so she assumed that she must have a breast cancer if her Vitamin D is low and that perhaps her PCP wasn't telling her anything.:rolleyes:

...heard that Vit D is good for breast health...
So, as a person knowledgeable, particularly in breastes sizes and health... does vit-D help? Do you think low vit-D might explain why I am so undersized in the booby area? If I load up on vit-D now, can I have some catch-up growth? I have always been a little self concious with my small breast size.

"Strong work."

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, sweet, sweet vindication. :)

This month I have been on the bariatric service, where the topic blessedly hasn't arisen. The patient are too busy hating their own bodies to notice anyone else's. Though I did let one thump me on the abdomen, since she was curious what a "body wall" was and had never been able to feel her own.

Oh, sweet, sweet vindication. :)

This month I have been on the bariatric service, where the topic blessedly hasn't arisen. The patient are too busy hating their own bodies to notice anyone else's. Though I did let one thump me on the abdomen, since she was curious what a "body wall" was and had never been able to feel her own.

Bariatric service in the PNW? Are you sure you're not back at StateU hospital? BTW this topic was difficult for me to click on, for personal reasons.

...That's odd. I've never heard of someone who cared about how much of their breast was covered by their hands.

You've never seen the movie "Weird Science" with Kelly le Brock and Anthony Michael-Hall?
"Now, hold on, man. I know female stats. I mean, anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained thumb."
Just quoting...

You've never seen the movie "Weird Science" with Kelly le Brock and Anthony Michael-Hall?
"Now, hold on, man. I know female stats. I mean, anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained thumb."
Just quoting...

Sure...great movie. However, I've never met a *woman* who cared about it.

Sure...great movie. However, I've never met a *woman* who cared about it.

I hung around plastic surgeons who did reductions way too long during my surgery years. Most women I met would kill for a C-cup.

Back to the reason women are asking BD about breasts like they are? I would entertain if they are there to see a surgeon for their breasts in the age demographics mentioned (middle aged, i.e. 40+,) they are thinking worst case scenario: bilateral mastectomy with the need for reconstruction. Perhaps they are thinking, "Gee, the surgeon has a reasonable pair. I wonder if she would let me see if they are like something I would get once this is over." Fear personified as a look into the future hopes? Maybe. Not to offend, just an insight.

Another option of why BD is getting these questions? I am going on a limb that she is young/young appearing, (and, despite her "cougarific" subtitle, WS looks the same in light of her recent post,) AND female, she might be open to discussing in a more frank manner. This is under the paradigm the patient is thinking young=more progressive and open to discussion.

Of course, this is me doing armchair psychiatry, and working off of an insomnia-laced night. I could be wrong.

I hung around plastic surgeons who did reductions way too long during my surgery years. Most women I met would kill for a C-cup.

That is the most requested size, but as I tell my patients, breast implants come in CCs not cup sizes (as I tell patients, a 40C is not the same size as a 34C). But at any rate, my comment was not meant to state that women didn't care what size they were but rather I've never heard a woman who chose size by stating, "my hands will cover them." Still seems odd to me.

Back to the reason women are asking BD about breasts like they are? I would entertain if they are there to see a surgeon for their breasts in the age demographics mentioned (middle aged, i.e. 40+,) they are thinking worst case scenario: bilateral mastectomy with the need for reconstruction. Perhaps they are thinking, "Gee, the surgeon has a reasonable pair. I wonder if she would let me see if they are like something I would get once this is over." Fear personified as a look into the future hopes? Maybe. Not to offend, just an insight.
Perhaps. I know patients have asked my partner and I because they assume we have implants given our relatively low BMI in comparison to breast size (and they probably also assume that since we work in the field we would have taken advantage of that procedure). Maybe that was TMI.

So perhaps they are thinking, "I wonder what breast implants look and feel like?" and think we would show them.

Another option of why BD is getting these questions? I am going on a limb that she is young/young appearing, (and, despite her "cougarific" subtitle, WS looks the same in light of her recent post,) AND female, she might be open to discussing in a more frank manner. This is under the paradigm the patient is thinking young=more progressive and open to discussion.
1) you can see what I look like on my profile
2) I am cougarrific because I like younger men (how you doing Ronin ;) )
3) yes, I assume women do feel more comfortable discussing these things with other women and I try to make the consults open to such discussions. I venture that BD is as well.

Last edited:
I know patients have asked my partner and I because they assume we have implants given our relatively low BMI in comparison to breast size (and they probably also assume that since we work in the field we would have taken advantage of that procedure).

And now I am picturing you with breasts so large you need a kickstand so you won't fall over. Don't you think that is unfair to your patient's? Just kidding :laugh:

And now I am picturing you with breasts so large you need a kickstand so you won't fall over. Don't you think that is unfair to your patient's? Just kidding :laugh:

:p No not THAT big. Just big enough that, as Dolly Parton used to say, "I have small feet - things don't grow well in the shade."

Apparently we've had several patients comment to office staff about it (unbeknowst to me until I asked), as we have a few office girls who are also well endowed. A few patients have claimed that we are trying to make them feel even worse about having breast cancer. :shrug: