jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I'm prepping for my interview on Monday, does anyone have any suggestions regarding tooth models, portfolios, or anything that was hands-on which they've brought on to interviews?

Do you see other people bring such things?

If you did bring them, have you find it helpful in your interview process?

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I have these semi-dentutres which I made in a pre-dental workshop that I will be bring to the interview. Perhaps it will make a good impression to them and they will feel that I really do have a sense of what dental school and dentistry is about.

clkimmey

Priapism Sufferer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
indy
Status
bringing heidi klum to your interview might help. :laugh:

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
what's heidi kum?

Pianoboe01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Indianapolis
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I brought an oboe reedmaking demonstration to all my interviews to show my manual dexterity, and the interviewers were always quite impressed.

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
All I brought with me was a pen and notebook for notetaking, if necessary. At one school, I saw a guy show up with a briefcase (I think it was just an accessory, b/c I never once saw him open it). Other than that, I interviewed at 5 schools and I didn't see anyone bring any types of models or demonstrations...most people came empty-handed. If you have something really impressive, I'd say go for it, as long as its relevant. Good luck! :)

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Irene010 said:
All I brought with me was a pen and notebook for notetaking, if necessary. At one school, I saw a guy show up with a briefcase (I think it was just an accessory, b/c I never once saw him open it). Other than that, I interviewed at 5 schools and I didn't see anyone bring any types of models or demonstrations...most people came empty-handed. If you have something really impressive, I'd say go for it, as long as its relevant. Good luck! :)
BADDDDDDDDDddd advice! Bringing tooth models to the interview??? are you serious, joking, or just ******ed?

The interview is not a time for show-and-tell my friend. Wear a suit, look pretty, and show them your pearly whites...that'll impress them more than trying to act like a complete moron with your stupid tooth models.

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:
BADDDDDDDDDddd advice! Bringing tooth models to the interview??? are you serious, joking, or just ******ed?

The interview is not a time for show-and-tell my friend. Wear a suit, look pretty, and show them your pearly whites...that'll impress them more than trying to act like a complete moron with your stupid tooth models.
Wow, "******ed" is a bit much, don't you think? Just trying to be optimistic...if someone thinks they have a relevant strength that they could possibly draw attention to during the interview (perhaps to provide an example of what was learned in that predental class), as long as they're smart and tactful about it, I highly doubt the interviewer will view them as "******ed" or a "moron."

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Dr. Badvibes:

You are a riot. =) I greatly appreciate a diversity of comments. Quite refreshing.

Dear Irene:

Thanks for you encouragement. Hope you are enjoying your presence on SDN.
You've been here since July, how come you only have 24 posts? I thought you were newly on this site.

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
Dr.BadVibes said:

This coming from a guy in the Xi Psi Phi Dental Fraternity. In other words, his comments don't mean jack!

Qarmonist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
i guess i'll just bring my instrument and play it for them for half and hour and then take out my computer that i also brought and put it together again from scratch in front of their face to show manual dexterity. :laugh: J/K

Pianoboe01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Indianapolis
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LOL! (Qarmonist). Seriously though, at my Indiana interview, the very first question they asked me was "So did you bring your oboe?" I hadn't (obviously), but I was able to pull up my oboe reed demo and they were quite impressed. Plus we spent pretty much the rest of the interview time chit chatting about music. But in regards to jk's question, if your dental models are small enough to hide in your pocket or something, then bring them. My oboe reed demo was small (it was all hidden either in my pocket or folder). You'd feel goofy (and look ridiculous) walking in to an interview holding them in your hand. But don't whip them out unless they specifically ask you something about that pre-dental workshop (assuming you put it on your app), and if they do ask you about it, then you can pull out your models and give them an idea of exactly what you did.

erbs8908

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
i was gonna wheel in my piano and play some Beethoven. thats fine, right?

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
jk5177 said:
Dr. Badvibes:

You are a riot. =) I greatly appreciate a diversity of comments. Quite refreshing.

Dear Irene:

Thanks for you encouragement. Hope you are enjoying your presence on SDN.
You've been here since July, how come you only have 24 posts? I thought you were newly on this site.
For some reason, I used to just kind of browse through the forums. I just recently started posting (maybe like a month ago), and its actually fun (and kind of addicting)! Its awesome to see how much people are willing to help each other out around here...its cool to be part of it. :)

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:

Well said DBV :laugh:

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:

So you think it is like a modeling contest then? Like Miss America? Like Mr. Dentist of the year?

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
jk5177 said:
So you think it is like a modeling contest then? Like Miss America? Like Mr. Dentist of the year?
EXACTLY! :laugh:

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Well, that will be easy for me then. I'll just charm them with my looks and my smile. Maybe I will woo them over during the swimsuit contest. When it is just down to the last five, and we have to answer questions like...

... if you can do anything in the world with 1 million dollars, what would you do
... What do you think is the best way to promote world peace?
... How do you plan to use your new title?

And when it is just down to me and the other poor soul, we will hold each others hand and embrace in this fake support and encouragement of one another. When, I win, I will look at him/her and smile and feel sorry, when in reality, I am so damn happy I win. He/she will look at me with this made up "congratulatory" look as if I really deserve it, but deep down he/she rather win.

Anyway, I'm confident about dental school. This is what I want to do, and I'm absolutely passionate about it. I will win, and I will get accepted.

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
Dr.BadVibes said:

Hahahah... LOL... you want to stand out, but not in a bad way. In one of my interviews, someone brought their dad along, i dont think the director of admissions was that impressed, she definitely gave him a funny look.

But if you have your heart set on bringing it, then I would suggest trying it out at a school that isnt high on your list. See how it goes... if they are really impressed then keep using it.

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
dentist_to_be? said:
Hahahah... LOL... you want to stand out, but not in a bad way. In one of my interviews, someone brought their dad along, i dont think the director of admissions was that impressed, she definitely gave him a funny look.

But if you have your heart set on bringing it, then I would suggest trying it out at a school that isnt high on your list. See how it goes... if they are really impressed then keep using it.
At my Michigan interview we met in a large conference room. In the back of the room there were some parents and a few spouses. It didn't seem too strange. I actually chatted with someone's father about football while i was waiting to be interviewed. Also at BU 2 others brought someone(1 mom and 1 wife).

Most adcoms are parents too, so they understand and likely don't mind at all.

sonya22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
I would definitely encourage you to take something which demonstrates your manual dexterity. I am into craft-making and I had taken a craftwork of mine...the interviewers were verrrrrrry impressed...not to mention i got selected at all these schools. It helped me more because my PAT score is below average(15), so it really covered that weakness of mine.The very act of taking something refelcts your dedication and sincerity..the thing big or small doesn't count that much.

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
sonya22 said:
I would definitely encourage you to take something which demonstrates your manual dexterity. I am into craft-making and I had taken a craftwork of mine...the interviewers were verrrrrrry impressed...not to mention i got selected at all these schools. It helped me more because my PAT score is below average(15), so it really covered that weakness of mine.The very act of taking something refelcts your dedication and sincerity..the thing big or small doesn't count that much.
Yeah?! How about bring a guitar or an accordion to the interview and play a little quartet for ADCOMs :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or show 'em some hocus-pocus tricks...

Dental admission is not a hobby contest. It is a serious part of any dental school’s admission process and anyone applying should be taking it seriously.

First of all, there are people getting admitted with 13 on PAT section and honestly speaking , not too many dental schools give a flying **** about your PAT section period (unless you score under their cut off line). So if ADCOMs don’t care about PAT too much, then what makes you think your silly model or whatever you choose to demonstrate would change anything in terms of being competitive enough for admission?

On the other hand, if you wanna get yourself noticed, why don’t you come naked? This will play a significant impression on them and thats for sure :thumbup:

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
So did you bring your model teeth or what? You cant start a thread like this and not tell us how your interview went.

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I logged my tooth dentures around but it was annoying to have to carry it. I should I have busted them out during my UCSF interview when they asked about dental experiences; however I forgot.

When I got to UCLA, they asked me about my manual dexterity, and I asked if they are interested in seeing these models I made. They passed on the chance. They probably know what it looks like since I made these models at the workshops at their school.

Anyway. I'm bring them with me to Columbia this week just in case. Hey. It doesn't hurt.

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
erbs8908 said:
i was gonna wheel in my piano and play some Beethoven. thats fine, right?

I am going to bring in a person and kick them in the face until their teeth falls out then I am going to give then a local and do implant surgery in front of the ADCOMS. I plan on taking a dog too that can jump through hoops.

ADCOMS loves puppies !

TOOTH MODELS............................... D O R K S !!!! :laugh: :thumbdown: :laugh:

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
jk5177,

I too took the denture course at UCLA, and I was wondering if you used the letter of recommendation from the pre-denture instructor or not. I received one; however, I am reluctant to use this LOR since I got to know the instructor for only three days. Also, I do not know what the instructor exactly wrote on LOR, as he directly sent it to the career center.

Dentalist

jk5177 said:
I logged my tooth dentures around but it was annoying to have to carry it. I should I have busted them out during my UCSF interview when they asked about dental experiences; however I forgot.

When I got to UCLA, they asked me about my manual dexterity, and I asked if they are interested in seeing these models I made. They passed on the chance. They probably know what it looks like since I made these models at the workshops at their school.

Anyway. I'm bring them with me to Columbia this week just in case. Hey. It doesn't hurt.

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
That was a nice informative thread. Thanks for searching and telling us about it.

I'll bring my models in case the situation becomes appropriate. And when is an appropriate time? That's where my judgment and maturity will come in.