Bring wife AND baby to pre-interview dinner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyTime

Midwestern Univ, Phoenix.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to be out at some restaurant and have my wife back in the hotel eating McDonalds. Loma Linda said they have dinner at JB's (I think that's like Dennys) and that it's real casual.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

SleepyTime said:
I hate to be out at some restaurant and have my wife back in the hotel eating McDonalds. Loma Linda said they have dinner at JB's (I think that's like Dennys) and that it's real casual.

Thoughts?

I'd email the program secretary and ask if spouses/SOs are welcome and also if kids are typically present. I've done this and some say, "sure bring your kids" and others say, "no, adults only." You have a brand new baby, right? I'd mention that since he/she is a little different than say, a four year old.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay I can see bringing your wife, but the baby :laugh: you would defintly be remembered.

Babies cry all the time. Don't take your chances. Remember, after all, this is a job interview.

SleepyTime said:

Thoughts?

Wouldnt bring the baby. Wifey is OK.

I have to echo the prevailing sentiment. Not only is there the baby attention span problem - lots of crying - but if your baby is really good - it will be the center of attention and you won't find out anything about the program!

This is No O2's wife and I just wanted to echo my husband's reply . UVA told us (without even asking) that frequently resident spouses come to their dinner and they sometimes bring their children. If your baby is anything like ours have been, they will likely sleep/eat through the whole thing. Of course I'm a mom, so maybe not the most objective POV.

Seems like to me as one of those things that can't possibly help you but could potentially hurt you.

Agree with "RW"

If you have a babysitter, take your wife.

If no babysitter, leave them both.

It can only hurt you.

It is not even a nice restaurant. It's not like it is a $50/entree place.

If someone brought their kid, I really would think it was weird.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think we'll end up doing a little covert operation where my wife and child get to clandestinely sit in a nearby table while we exchange furtive glances.

Beats McDonalds anyway. ;)

Sounds like a good plan...as long as your kid isn't old enough to run over toward you yelling, "DADDY!" :D That would be awkward.

I think it depends on the place. When I was interviewing I took wife and child (he was under 1 at the time) to a dinner and to a next day brunch. The two programs where I did this didn't penalize me and it gave me a good feel for their sense of family. BTW I was contacted by both PDs at a later time and asked to come so I don't think it hurt at all.

It really depends on the program. Ask some of the current residents where you are interviewing and see what they think. The anesthesia secretary is also usually a great resource.

Cheers,
PMMD

Members don't see this ad :)
What about bringing the baby and leaving the wife at the hotel to eat McDonald's? :)

Ok, sorry, that wasn't helpful at all. My opinion: the pre-interview dinner is your chance to get the low-down about a program. The more distractions you have, the less info you'll glean from the experience. I can also say as a fellow applicant I'd be a bit annoyed if my questions or conversation were being drowned out by a wailing baby. So I say don't bring 'em.

(Biases: child-hating single person. :) )

Bullard,
THx for being honest.
We have a finite time to learn the down low. This is further reduced by times when attendings or chief residents are around. There is barely enough time without any distractions or tangents about football or what have you.

Married person who loves kids and dogs but thinks there is a place for them outside of program dinners

Jeezy peezy, let Zip paint the perfect night for ya.... Take wife and child out to a fancy restaurant prior to your dinner party. Afterwards, go with wife and child to mall and mosey on in to a Victoria's Secret store and buy your wife somethin' sexy as all get out with gushes of "I love you's" and "you're the best". Drop them off at the motel and attend the party and get a few long island ice teas in ya. Hook up with some single CA-3s and head to a few gentleman's clubs. Buy a round of lap dances for the CA-3s and have a good time. Breeze on in to the motel at around 3AM and make wild,passionate love to your wife. Wake up in AM with breakfast in bed for wife and child despite your raging hangover. Now ain't that the best plan ya heard yet? Regards, ---Zip

zippy2u said:
Jeezy peezy, let Zip paint the perfect night for ya.... Take wife and child out to a fancy restaurant prior to your dinner party. Afterwards, go with wife and child to mall and mosey on in to a Victoria's Secret store and buy your wife somethin' sexy as all get out with gushes of "I love you's" and "you're the best". Drop them off at the motel and attend the party and get a few long island ice teas in ya. Hook up with some single CA-3s and head to a few gentleman's clubs. Buy a round of lap dances for the CA-3s and have a good time. Breeze on in to the motel at around 3AM and make wild,passionate love to your wife. Wake up in AM with breakfast in bed for wife and child despite your raging hangover. Now ain't that the best plan ya heard yet? Regards, ---Zip

:laugh: :laugh: Always the gentleman, eh Zip? :thumbup:

Are you crazy? DO NOT bring your baby to dinner. Babies are wonderful and fun, but your attention will not be focused as it needs to be and you will run the risk of annoyng others who do not feel babies are as fun to be around. I would advise that you arrange for your wife to eat something better than McDonald's and bring her a boquet of flowers on the way home from your dinner to express your appreciation for staying at the hotel and watching your child.

Agree with most of what other people were saying. Been to a bunch of these and thus far no one has ever brought a child with them. Might be distracting to you and the other applicants as well.

militarymd said:
I would stick with wife only.
Again I agree with x-mmd

Wow- maybe my first 24 hrs on this board were an abberation ;)

adleyinga said:
Again I agree with x-mmd

Wow- maybe my first 24 hrs on this board were an abberation ;)

Believe it or not, where I work, I am the reasonable one who fixes all the problems in our OR.

Why can't they go?