Bringing parents to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming interview at OCPM. Since this is my first interview I wasn't sure if it's the 'norm' to bring parents. I am graduating from college in the winter and they have helped me with tuition through college, thankfully!
Do alot of other students bring their parents? and since I was told we were going to be there the whole day, I wasn't sure what they would do when I am interviewing? How long is the interview usually?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DO NOT bring your parents to the interview. Put on your big girl panties and go by yourself. Sure, bring them the day before/after, but NOT to the official interview. I do understand the idea of them wanting to have a better idea of what they might be sinking their money into, but at some point they need to trust you. If you are mature enough to enter a professional school, then you should be mature enough to make adult decsions on your own that they can trust.

Lol, Thank you! I wasn't sure because I was looking at older posts in the pre-med,vet forum and they said they brought parents, but I think I am better off going alone...it will be a nice, quiet 4 hour drive!
I will be leaving the night before and staying at a nearby hotel then leaving when everything is over so I'll only be there for the day.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
At one of the schools I interviewed at (cant remember which one) I saw something that said parents are encouraged to come during interview day. I only remember this because it struck me as odd.

I agree w airbud. Do not bring your parents to the interview. If they wanted to see the school after your interview day is over, then Iwould think that that would be okay.

NYCPM has open houses for prospective students. It is common for parents to attend the open house. Not so for the interview.

NEVER, EVER bring your parents, significant other, dog, cat, grandma...whatever

Be an adult and go by yourself.

If you get accepted, then let them see the school.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to check because the letter said there would be a tour and financial aid discussion, so I was thinking some might bring their parents to that but I will only take them when I decide on a school and go for an open house!
Thank you again!

Do not bring you friends, b/f, or parents. This again would be a strange setup. What would the parents be doing? I recommend you invite your parents to a open house like at NYCPM and that will give them all the info they need about your future endeavors.

This question has obviously been answered, but I thought I would share b/c I was interviewing at a school I will not reveal at a time I will not reveal when a candidate came in with his/her parents. The conversation in the room stopped and the person looked embarrassed when he/she saw that none of us had our parents there. I felt bad for him/her ... not a good idea.

Seriously? You're an adult right? You've heard the term "helicopter parents"?

Are you able to do things like register for your classes without your parent's help? Look for an apartment?

I ask because colleges are having to deal with failure to cut the umbilical cord. It's becoming more common for young adults to be unable to function on their own. And colleges aren't welcoming parents. They had to create orientation for parents out of need. Helicopter parents started showing up, uninvited and refusing to leave. So colleges created the orientation sessions for parents so that they could get the parents AWAY from the students for at time. And apparently it's becoming increasingly common for students to be unable to accomplish simple tasks like register for classes without calling mom on the cell.

Any interview you bring your parents to will make you look spoiled, entitled and unable to function independently as an adult. I am in a position where I now interview candidates. If any interviewee showed up with his or her parents, that would be an immediate, irreversible NO.