Bringing your pet to veterinary school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoptapuffin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to bring your pet to veterinary school with you?

Members don't see this ad.

The school has no problem with it! It's more about finding a place to live that allows pets, which from what I've heard, people tend to be more willing to let vet students have pets than they usually are with other renters.

Anyway, a lot of vet students have pets, the trick is just finding where to live and living with people who are willing to live with the pet.

Do you mean actually bring it to classes? Pretty sure that is a NO. Otherwise, absolutely. You would obviously need to live in a place that allowed your pet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school has policies against personal pets in the school itself. However, it is relatively lax during off hours, but I am grateful that we don't have to deal with pets in the lecture halls. As for having pets at home; I have 4 living with me. They can complicate your life, though, so if you don't yet have pets, you may want to consider what your lifestyle will be like in vet school. Personally, my life would be easier if I had a couple of semi-independent cats, and if I didn't have dogs coming in, I may have waited a while before obtaining any.

yep on the tour of UPenn they said that you can bring pets in ..either after 5pm or after 6pm, can't quite remember. But they can't be in the actual hospital. Also people apparently bring their dogs to happy hour every friday as well.

Like others said, having the animal is fine, its finding housing with the animal thats a bit more of a problem

The time factor is what really concerns me. I would LOVE to bring my family dogs with me or adopt an older rescue dog, but I'd hate to feel like I was neglecting it due to my busy schedule. Cats seem like the better choice, but my boyfriend is highly allergic. Though...it IS a long-distance relationship. Maybe if I do some deep-cleaning before he visits it could work... ;) I think I'm going to be waiting at least a semester, see what my schedule is like and how much time I'd really have, and then make my choice for pets. Whatever dog I end up with will definitely be old, lazy, and a couch potato - studying would be a whole lot more fun with a cuddly companion!

I know the dog issue comes up every year on the forum, and that the general response from people in vet school is that you "can make it work," or that bringing your dog helps you to "keep your sanity," etc. But does anyone actually regret bringing dogs along?

I've seriously been considering getting a dog, but I am afraid I won't have enough time for it. I am scared i'll be lonely (considering living alone and i'm in a long distance relationship). It's nice to be able to have someone around to vent to, even if its just a dog haha

Vet school is very time consuming, so if you don't have any pets I would personally recommend against getting any for the time being! Most vet students end up with one or two due to owner relinquishment anyhow...but it can be hard to find a place that allows A pet, much less more than one. I have somehow ended up with 3 dogs and while I live in a place that will allow it now, it gives me a little bit of concern when I think about an internship and residency down the road. Trying to find a place that will allow 3 dogs is going to be a hassle!

Not to mention, the biggest complaint I hear from doctors and students is that they just don't have enough time for their own pets!

I know the dog issue comes up every year on the forum, and that the general response from people in vet school is that you "can make it work," or that bringing your dog helps you to "keep your sanity," etc. But does anyone actually regret bringing dogs along?

I had a classmate who adopted a dog, had her for a few months, and decided that she would be better off with a family that could spend more time with her. So, it isn't for everyone. I really respect the decision that he made - I know it wasn't easy. It is a huge time commitment, and if you're not willing to make that commitment (or have a significant other that will be around more than you), I don't think you should have a dog.

Honestly, my grades would be better if I didn't have a dog. I study at home (instead of in the library) so I can be with her...and it's pretty easy to get distracted around here!

On the other hand, she keeps me sane - requires me to get exercise every day (we go on a hour-long walk after class most days) - and is a total snuggle bunny...and it's so nice to have a smiling face greet you at home after a long day! She goes most places with me. I try to spend my entire weekends and most evenings with her as well.

If I have to head somewhere right after class, or be gone for an entire day, it can be a struggle.

I know some people are cat people and some are dog people, but cats are more independent (I think) than dogs and while they require a lot of attention as well, they can be litter box trained so this makes life easier if you are gone all day too I think. I love cats though and they are just as good of listeners as dogs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got 4 cats and a horse who will be coming with me wherever I go, probably, unless I head overseas to Edinburgh.
As an undergrad, I managed having between one and three horses while taking a full course load and working full time.
I wouldn't give any of them up for the world - they keep me sane. Yes, I realize I may have to half-lease the horse during vet school because there's no way I'm going to be able to ride 6 days a week as I do now, but it's just such a huge stress reliever to be able to go out to the barn and hug my pony, ya know?
And my cats are better than TV. And softer, too. I won't be getting a dog though. Too much time and commitment along with the other animals.

I know some people are cat people and some are dog people, but cats are more independent (I think) than dogs and while they require a lot of attention as well, they can be litter box trained so this makes life easier if you are gone all day too I think. I love cats though and they are just as good of listeners as dogs!

Rabbits aren't as big of a time commitment compared to dogs. They're also very independent and can be litter box trained. I think rabbits are a perfect vet student pet. I'm very biased though. ;)

Regret is a strong word. If I had a magical world and could make it all work perfectly, I would have my dogs in perfect stasis for the next couple of years because I don't want to neglect them, and they do take a major time commitment, but I would never get rid of them. They did greatly affect my housing requirements, and my dogs are set up for inside/outside access while I am not home.

Yay rabbits as pets! :) I have 4 house rabbits that will be accompanying me to vet school :) But I'll admit, they're more work than my cats.

I will most likely be getting a dog sometime this spring/summer. My old dog died just five days after apps were due, and I was devastated. I just cant imagine not having one and I am having a hard time even so close to her death not having that constant companion.

So me, my (future) dog, my horse, and possibly my SO will be shipping off to vet school (hopefully!).

Well I will continue to own my circus as I like to call it, 1 horse, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 cockatiel and fish:) But I will edit this and say this is only doable because my SO is home a lot and if I get in IS he will continue to help out.

If I have to move OOS it will just be the horse, 1 dog and the cockatiel. That still seems like a lot though :)

Hands down animals are the most important thing in my life and going to vet school or any other career for that matter wont change that.

I'll be bringing my English mastiff (currently 8mo old) and my rabbit. My SO is coming with me and he would like to get another dog (still need to discuss that lol) but I'm really going to try to live very close to the Veterinary school so I can shoot home during lunch to let my dog(s) out. It will definitely be easier having my SO with me though in case I need to spend some late nights at the library, at least someone will be with them

Hehe I was totally going to throw in a recommendation for rabbits but I see that I have been beaten to it. My bunny is perfect - he uses a litterbox, loves to snuggle, and will only walk on carpeted areas (he is afraid of the hard wood floor so it is easy to keep him away from certain areas of the house). He also munches away on hay all day, so if I'm home a little late to feed him he doesn't get super hungry. He is very cheap to feed and doesn't need vaccines, HW prevention, etc - just an annual exam.

Next year when my fiance and I get a real house and a roommate I think we are going to take the plunge for a dog - I think it will be OK since there will be 3 people in the house and we would get an adult.

do realize that lunch and just after classes tend to be busy activity/club times as well... and sometimes there are things you won't want to miss out on! I have seen a lot of classmates battle between an interesting meeting, a lecture that fulfills a skills requirements, and going home to tend to the pets, particularly at lunch

do realize that lunch and just after classes tend to be busy activity/club times as well... and sometimes there are things you won't want to miss out on! I have seen a lot of classmates battle between an interesting meeting, a lecture that fulfills a skills requirements, and going home to tend to the pets, particularly at lunch

good to know!

Hey Bunnity or livvie, how did you go about finding rabbit friendly places? Did you look for places that at least allowed cats? Please let me know, I want to bring my bunbun with me to vet school if I get in :)

I agree that rabbits make great pets for students! I had my bunny in my dorm and then my apartment while I did my undergrad. In the dorm, I had the unlimited meal plan and got a salad to go every day for him. :) With finding an apartment, you would have to talk to management. Most have policies for cats and dogs but not rabbits, so you just have to ask. And of course, if you don't already have one, adopt a bunny from a shelter - not a pet store.

So, would I be absolutely crazy to consider getting another dog once I figure out where I'll be living next year? My dog will be 3 when I head off to vet school, and ideally I'd get another that's a little older than that. I figure they'll keep each other company, and maybe its idealistic of me, but I'd love to find a place to live with a fenced in yard for playing. Heck, I would even consider adopting a "senior pet" that just needed a couch to sleep on, although one that would play would be awesome.

I'm not worried about having the time to spend with my dog--honestly, on some of the 12 hour days I work now, she's fine by herself. Yeah, I would love to be able to spend all day with her, but I know that whether I'm working or in school, that's not always possible.
I could always look into having someone let them out midday if I have to, right?

Am I crazy and would two dogs really be so much harder than just one?

I brought my 13 yo aussie. with me and I could not see it any other way. NOW...I have been dating my bf for 5 years now and every time we would get on the subject of dogs, he would mention that he wanted a Frenchie. WELLLL for Christmas this past year I bought him a frenchie....soo I am now in the process of potty training a 10 week old pup that is stubborn as stubborn comes! lol! She is learning slowly but surely! My 13 yo gives me no problems, but I do have to kennel my frenchie while I am studying bc you have to keep your eye on her at all times...she is like a kid in their terrible two's! It is no problem having dogs though..very entertaining having a pup around again. I did not bring my horses bc I know that I do not have the time to ride right now....maybe one day I will bring them over the state line!

I am probably the only person applying to vet school whose total pet count is one fish! He is an awesome one and a fourth inch fish with quite a personality. But I would like something I can interact with a bit more. Would a corn snake be a good option? (I would love to adopt a rabbit. However, I would also like to go home for breaks, so anything with fur or feathers is not a consideration for fear of killing my severely allergic mother) Does anyone have a pet snake? Is it an issue finding a place to live that allows snakes? Or does anyone have a different suggestion for a fur/featherless pet?

I had a bearded dragon a few years ago and Norbert was awesome! He had the heat issues that all reptiles have, but had a mostly vegetarian diet with some superworms and crickets. He ate lots of produce! He was a very easy keeper overall and so friendly and sweet! I would totally recommend bearded dragons, especially for those with allergy issues.

I had a bearded dragon a few years ago and Norbert was awesome! He had the heat issues that all reptiles have, but had a mostly vegetarian diet with some superworms and crickets. He ate lots of produce! He was a very easy keeper overall and so friendly and sweet! I would totally recommend bearded dragons, especially for those with allergy issues.
My friend has a bearded dragon and he adores her! It sounds like they may be a good candidate for me to consider. Thanks for the lizard advice!

I have eight cats. Well, okay, by the time I apply to vet school I'll probably be down to only seven, as one has multiple health issues and as happy as I am that he's still here at all, I doubt he'll still be here by then.

And that's assuming no new kitty steps in to fill the void once he's gone. Funny, how they tend to do that...

Short version: no matter where I end up, I'm going to have to buy a house. :oops:

Re: fur/featherless pets: I have two tortoises, and they're adorable! Plus they eat grasses, fruits and veggies instead of live food. I would suggest a tortoise or a lizard like a bearded dragon, a uromastyx, or a blue-tongue skink. I had a snake when I was a kid (ball python) and they can be very cool pets, but the feeding them is what gets to me now... :(

Re: rabbit-friendly housing - I actually have a house, so I can't really help you there. But I know that a lot of people have them in apartments, so it's just a matter of talking to the landlord.

So, I'm bringing this thread back because I don't want to start a new one. I'm leaving for Iowa on Saturday. I'm all set to go, but over the last few days, I've had serious cold feet about bringing my dog with me. She's 4 years old (I've had her since she was a puppy). I've been living with my brother for the last 3 years and he has a dog as well. These two are tight as hell. I'm concerned that taking her out of her environment will be a bit selfish on my part (and yes, I know that she's a dog and she will adapt--but still :(). Taking her across the country and crating her for long hours worries me. Also, she is an extremely high maintenance dog. TERRIBLE allergies, long hair that mats very easily, and a laundry list of other crap--I don't know if I'll have time to give her the attention that she needs. So I don't know if I should take her or keep her. My brother would love to take care of her. If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated.

So, I'm bringing this thread back because I don't want to start a new one. I'm leaving for Iowa on Saturday. I'm all set to go, but over the last few days, I've had serious cold feet about bringing my dog with me. She's 4 years old (I've had her since she was a puppy). I've been living with my brother for the last 3 years and he has a dog as well. These two are tight as hell. I'm concerned that taking her out of her environment will be a bit selfish on my part (and yes, I know that she's a dog and she will adapt--but still :(). Taking her across the country and crating her for long hours worries me. Also, she is an extremely high maintenance dog. TERRIBLE allergies, long hair that mats very easily, and a laundry list of other crap--I don't know if I'll have time to give her the attention that she needs. If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated.

I've been having the same feelings. My dog is going to be 8 in November and has lived with my family the whole time, including when I've gone off to college for the past 2 years. While she really was "my" dog, she's now really my mom's dog, as she's the one who takes care of her when I'm gone. I'm taking her to vet school with me in 2 weeks and starting to realize how attached she is to my mom, and I feel like it's not fair of me to take her away from the only environment she's ever known.
Then I think about the fact that my family doesn't really want her anymore, they never give her the attention she deserves, and I know she'll adapt after a few weeks with me.
Basically...I know that taking her with me is what's right for her, even if it's hard on everyone at first. She will adapt, as will your dog, and things will work out. And if there are serious problems and you really don't think your dog is happy after a few months of living with you in vet school, you could try to work something else out at that point. But definitely give it a try :)

When we kept my foster cat, it was with the knowledge that whomever left the house first (my sister or I) would take my kitty. But my parents have both fallen in love with him and apparently, now, he's staying in NJ. I always knew the dogs were staying at my house--one of them is 13 and the other's 7 but they're both the family dogs. I wouldn't dream of taking them and moving them wherever.

But that leaves me with no pets (for the first time in my life). I figure I'll go to veterinary school pet-less and end up taking a foster and end up adopting. Most likely a cat because my dogs couldn't deal with another one in the house. I may decide to adopt an older cat from the shelter I work at before I leave, but I haven't decided. I figure, at least, with a geriatric cat from the shelter, any attention and loving I can manage with the rigors of vet school will be so appreciated by him/her. They just need some lovin'. And if I can give them a few good years out of the shelter and in a loving home, that's all the better :)

So, I'm bringing this thread back because I don't want to start a new one. I'm leaving for Iowa on Saturday. I'm all set to go, but over the last few days, I've had serious cold feet about bringing my dog with me. She's 4 years old (I've had her since she was a puppy). I've been living with my brother for the last 3 years and he has a dog as well. These two are tight as hell. I'm concerned that taking her out of her environment will be a bit selfish on my part (and yes, I know that she's a dog and she will adapt--but still :(). Taking her across the country and crating her for long hours worries me. Also, she is an extremely high maintenance dog. TERRIBLE allergies, long hair that mats very easily, and a laundry list of other crap--I don't know if I'll have time to give her the attention that she needs. So I don't know if I should take her or keep her. My brother would love to take care of her. If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated.

For me personally, my dog will come with me. The only thing that would stop me from going to a school in the Carribean would be that I wouldn't be able to bring her (from what I understand). My parents like her well enough but they don't really love her like I do. My boyfriend would take her (he's planning on a house in the near future), which I would be comfortable with, because the only one she likes as much as me is him :) She really is a one person kind of dog (although she's very friendly with people) and I just can't see her being happy at all without me, and vice versa. She's also a bit older and doesn't need as much maintenance/doesn't need to be crated, so worst case scenario I have a pet sitter come by to let her out in the middle of the day.

That's my personal situation, though. I think you need to do what you think is best for your dog and for you, and if that means leaving her or taking her, I'm sure she will adjust either way eventually.

I won't be applying until next cycle, but I plan on bringing my bird and my snake (as well as my fish if she's still alive). I'm also planning on adopting a kitten soon and would love to have a dog in vet school, especially if I'm living by myself, and especially if I go OOS and away from my support system, but I guess we'll see...

Well, my dog came with me. And I'm in the process of auditioning another dog at the moment :)

Having a dog definitely limited where I could look for apartments, just as it has ever since I got her. But being so close to the vet school, I did not have any problems finding the perfect place to live.

Some of the above posts just state that people are bringing their pets, but I think what jpeterman wanted advice on wasnt just to bring his dog to vet school but the effect it will have on her since she is high maintenance and has a close bond with the other dog.

I think only you can truly tell if it is right for her. Have you separated her from the other dog for a while to see her reaction? Maybe you can give it a "test" run and bring her to another friend or family members house for 1 week and see how her personality changes?

I wouldnt be too worried about the ride over there because that is a temporary thing.

The list of problems or maintenance she needs seems to be long, and you said there was still other stuff. Will you honestly have time to keep up with it all? If you have any doubts it may be better to wait on bringing her until after you see how your first semester is. You can always bring her later if you want!

cowgirla was right about dogs limiting where you can live. If you decide to rent a room in a house most places by vet schools allow dogs. But i decided to live in an apt complex and half of them dont allow pets. I live in a place that allows cats only. It is definitely possible though, you just have to put more effort into looking.

and finally, like Nstarz said, you may find an adorable dog that needs to be adopted at vet school!! they will not have an attachment to other dogs and they won't know any other type of living environment than the one you provide so they will be happier than just crated in the humane society!

I feel that one of the perks of living in Auburn (as I'm sure is the same in other locations) is that it is SUPER pet-friendly. I feel like most vet students and even undergrads here have at least one pet if not more. MOST living places here allow pets because they know they would barely have any renters if they didn't. It really is a personal decision as to whether you feel you have the time to devote to an animal, especially a younger one. I know in Auburn if you are genuinely concerned about neglecting your pet, there are plenty of people willing to help pet sit as well as numerous affordable doggie daycares in the area. I have two dogs (I would say older.. but they are almost 3 and still act 1) that I've had for a couple of years while I was in undergrad here and they have been the best. They both started in a tiny apartment and did just fine.. now we all live in a condo and they are the only/best roommates I plan on having for the remainder of my time here :) They are best friends and entertain each other.. which works out great for me. Honestly, it is a personal decision but I couldn't imagine not being greeted at the door by them after each and every long day..

I brought my 7-year-old dog up in May, away from our other dogs (one of which he's been around since he was a puppy) and the comfort of a nice, big house with a nice yard to romp around in... and he's done fine. I was also concerned about the selfishness of bringing him up (and felt guilty for the first week or so) but it's worked out for us.

To address your concerns--school will suck up a lot of your time, sure, but you'll still have time to do other things. You will usually be able to find the time to give her the attention she needs. Particularly first semester; they do an excellent job of easing you into the curriculum. You'll also find that a lot of people also have a dog, or dogs (one of my classmates has like 4 or 5), and are able to manage their care as well as studying. And a lot of those people are more than happy to help you care for your pet(s) in a pinch.

In the end, though, you're in the best position to know what the best course of action is for you and your dog. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions/concerns :)

How do you guys feel about silver foxes in an apartment? My boyfriend wants to get one. (Silver foxes are the result of an experiment in Siberia that has bred tameness into foxes over 25 or so generations)

Two: Didn't you post in support of having pet wolves, too?

Wild animals should stay wild animals, IMO. They may be great 'pets' after having been bred in captivity for that purpose, but that's what I have a problem with in the first place: them being bred into tameness. They shouldn't be. They should be left alone in the wild.

How much would you pay for one of those anyway? Can't you go rescue a mutt from the shelter?

ISU_steve: Har har.

Two: Didn't you post in support of having pet wolves, too?

Wild animals should stay wild animals, IMO. They may be great 'pets' after having been bred in captivity for that purpose, but that's what I have a problem with in the first place: them being bred into tameness. They shouldn't be. They should be left alone in the wild.

How much would you pay for one of those anyway? Can't you go rescue a mutt from the shelter?

ISU_steve: Har har.

I did post in support of having pet wolf/dog hybrids. She is a family pet & I did not choose to keep her. But, I have enjoyed having her as part of my family.
My boyfriend is the one who wants a silver fox. He thinks they would make great pets considering they were bred for tameness. The only website that sells them directly from the research center lists the price for them around $6000. I would love to get a rescue from the shelter, but he wants a fox BAD :/

I did post in support of having pet wolf/dog hybrids. She is a family pet & I did not choose to keep her. But, I have enjoyed having her as part of my family.
My boyfriend is the one who wants a silver fox. He thinks they would make great pets considering they were bred for tameness. The only website that sells them directly from the research center lists the price for them around $6000. I would love to get a rescue from the shelter, but he wants a fox BAD :/

Tameness is not bred into an animal over 25 generations. Dogs, in particular, have been domesticated over 15 THOUSAND years. Your 'pet' fox will bite and then it will get put down because it's a fox that could be carrying rabies. I'm sorry but this is very irresponsible.

I *really* want a dolphin...do I have one in my backyard pool?

Not to even touch whether foxes should be domesticated, I wouldn't think that it took 15 thousand years to create the domestic dog. I believe that 15 thousand years is how long we know for fact that dogs have existed. I have no idea other than what the internet might say. Does anyone know?