British nurses must turn hospital beds towards Mecca 5 times per day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overstretched nurses in a British hospital are being told to turn the beds of Muslim patients towards Mecca five times a day, it is being reported.

The U.K.'s Daily Express said that the measure is part of a new program that tries to address the needs of Muslim patients, and was implemented after hospital administrators at Dewsbury and District Hospital canvassed patients on how staff could improve their service.

Patients will also be provided halal meals and shower facilities to allow patients to wash themselves in running water prior to prayer.
But the taxpayer-funded training program is creating turmoil among the stressed-out staff, who say they must interrupt potentially life-saving medical work to move the beds.

Training has begun for the several hundred staff at Dewsbury and District but could be introduced at other hospitals in the new year.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315103,00.html

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, turn 'em and leave 'em. Then they can get back to their tabloids.

What do hospitals in Muslim countries do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good 'ole Europe.

Ugh, turn 'em and leave 'em. Then they can get back to their tabloids.

What do hospitals in Muslim countries do?
this is actually the question I had.. is it against religious belief to just remain facing Mecca all day? it seems like the simple solution is just to turn the bed toward Mecca and keep the bed facing that way. but I don't know the rituals.. can anyone enlighten me?

knowing this forum, when it involves religion, i anticipate lots of beef... not the kind you get in your Big Mac

$hit, knowing this forum, everything comes with beef.

I'm a vegetarian, let me out!

you're opening up the "beef" box
why does a simple question assume there's going to be a problem? can people not inform others of their religious practices without getting offended?

maybe you could explain how I'm stepping on anyone's toes.. unless they have tremendously sensitive toes with a 10 foot pressure radius around them.

I would be curious to know what kind of services are offered to those of other religious denominations.

Certainly is an interesting tidbit...although it seems unfair to the nurses.

As nonesuchgirl said turn 'em and leave 'em.

this is actually the question I had.. is it against religious belief to just remain facing Mecca all day? it seems like the simple solution is just to turn the bed toward Mecca and keep the bed facing that way. but I don't know the rituals.. can anyone enlighten me?

No, you can face Mecca all day. I don't quite understand why they would move the beds 5 times a day. Maybe the nurses are massive and the doctors would like some eye candy, this might be exercise!

your question isn't a problem, it's how other people will respond and argue continuously that will cause the beef
I mean I don't want to get into an argument about this, but aren't you the one making my remarks a lot more inflammatory than they really are? If you'd just let them go there wouldn't be an issue here
No, you can face Mecca all day. I don't quite understand why they would move the beds 5 times a day. Maybe the nurses are massive and the doctors would like some eye candy, this might be exercise!

I guess I don't see the nurses' issue then, unless the beds facing that direction are making it difficult for them to get around the room and do their duty.

I wonder why they can't face mecca 24/7 ? I would really like to know the answer.

why does a simple question assume there's going to be a problem? can people not inform others of their religious practices without getting offended?

maybe you could explain how I'm stepping on anyone's toes.. unless they have tremendously sensitive toes with a 10 foot pressure radius around them.
It's pre-allo, hissyfits are required

I would be curious to know what kind of services are offered to those of other religious denominations.

Certainly is an interesting tidbit...although it seems unfair to the nurses.

As nonesuchgirl said turn 'em and leave 'em.
:) Chaplains, rabbis, extreme unction... at least in the US. IDK about the UK.

I suspect the hospital is trying to accomodate its Muslim population and didn't quite think it through.

Fox news is probably the best source for today's hot topics and current events.

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you look around on the forum, which religion thread has NOT baked up beefcake?
I actually can't remember ever getting into a religious debate here on SDN. Maybe I just avoided the threads.
Fox news is probably the best source for today's hot topics and current events.

Do you not believe the article or are you just being inflammatory for the sake of being inflammatory?

I wonder why they can't face mecca 24/7 ? I would really like to know the answer.

Ok, I'll start the argument....

They're sick and in a hospital bed, possibly without windows, but the curtains could also be drawn if needed. Can they really tell which direction they're facing? You see where I'm going with this?

mmmmmmmmmmm, beeeeeeeeeeeef

They're sick and in a hospital bed, possibly without windows, but the curtains could also be drawn if needed. Can they really tell which direction they're facing? You see where I'm going with this?

Compass. Innate sense of direction. Their mama. The imam. Cheetos says it doesn't matter, you can face Mecca all day.

you know, while we on the subject, how DO they know which way Mecca is? do you just face the general direction Mecca is, based on the position of the sun or something?

OMG that's so mean. And brilliant.

I love it.

you know, while we on the subject, how DO they know which way Mecca is? do you just face the general direction Mecca is, based on the position of the sun or something?
Yeah, if they face the opposite way, aren't they technically facing Mecca too?

South East/ East-ish, in Britain and the US.

Compass. Innate sense of direction. Their mama. The imam. Cheetos says it doesn't matter, you can face Mecca all day.

If you are in a closed room in nothing but a hospital gown with, say, a recently closed thoracic incision down your chest, would you be able to tell which direction you're facing? I can see how it would go....

Patient to nurse: Am I facing east?

Nurse: You're facing east.

Patient: (begins praying).

It's a victimless crime. Everyone's happy.

You just face in the general direction. For example, I have to face East so I base it on the direction the freeway runs :laugh:

I am going to invent a hospital bed that can be adjusted on a rotational axis with a button that can be operated by the patient. It will be equipped with GPS, which the patient can then use to program the bed to face Mecca, or any place on earth.

You just face in the general direction. For example, I have to face East so I base it on the direction the freeway runs :laugh:
that's what I figure. you must have a good sense of direction then, like if you're in a new place you've never been and don't know which direction is which. I also assume there's some sort of forgiveness if you're accidentally facing northeast instead of southeast :)

one more question.. not every Muslim prays to Mecca 5 times a day, do they? is it just some certain .. I don't know the word.. sects?

I am going to invent a hospital bed that can be adjusted on a rotational axis with a button that can be operated by the patient. It will be equipped with GPS, which the patient can then use to program the bed to face Mecca, or any place on earth.

We can start a company, you will sell the beds and I can sell cars with a hookah built into the dash. We'll bank!

Another thing to consider.... if you are looking straight ahead, you cannot be facing Mecca (unless you are very close), because the Earth is round. It may feel like you are facing Mecca, but God knows that your line of sight is actually a line tangent to the surface of the earth, and you are staring off into space, and you will be punished for blasphemy in the afterlife.

that's what I figure. you must have a good sense of direction then, like if you're in a new place you've never been and don't know which direction is which. I also assume there's some sort of forgiveness if you're accidentally facing northeast instead of southeast :)

one more question.. not every Muslim prays to Mecca 5 times a day, do they? is it just some certain .. I don't know the word.. sects?

5 times a day is the basic requirement, almost every Muslim follows it. However, as with all things, there is discrepancy. Some combine prayers and only do it like 3 times a day.

Another thing to consider.... if you are looking straight ahead, you cannot be facing Mecca (unless you are very close), because the Earth is round. It may feel like you are facing Mecca, but God knows that your line of sight is actually a line tangent to the surface of the earth, and you are staring off into space, and you will be punished for blasphemy in the afterlife.

Uh oh

Only SDN can turn religious practice into an MCAT question.

I seriously want to know if facing opposite directions is acceptable

5 times a day is the basic requirement, almost every Muslim follows it. However, as with all things, there is discrepancy. Some combine prayers and only do it like 3 times a day.
oh.. thanks for the info. i guess i assumed it wasn't true for all muslims since i never see anyone do it. maybe they're just good about finding a private place at that time of day? is there a certain place you have to do it, or is anywhere, even in public, ok?

I also thought it was only for the more "conservative" practicers, since (I don't think..) all Muslims wear the hijab. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

thanks again for the info though. some might think I'm being derogatory, but I'm seriously just trying to become informed.

We can start a company, you will sell the beds and I can sell cars with a hookah built into the dash. We'll bank!

I would love to see this...SDN hookah-mobile for the win!!! :laugh:

Shortest distance, pls. :) At least according to what I read.

oh.. thanks for the info. i guess i assumed it wasn't true for all muslims since i never see anyone do it. maybe they're just good about finding a private place at that time of day? is there a certain place you have to do it, or is anywhere, even in public, ok?

I also thought it was only for the more "conservative" practicers, since (I don't think..) all Muslims wear the hijab. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

thanks again for the info though. some might think I'm being derogatory, but I'm seriously just trying to become informed.

Wouldn't you find somewhere quiet?

And good for you, armybound! We should all really know more about the world.

"But the taxpayer-funded training program"

I don't think this would happen in the U.S. due to separation of church and state. I do not know if GB has such a policy.

y'all are cracking jokes about something sacred to a lot of people

stop while you're ahead

It seems like you're the only one who has a problem with this. Sorry if we offended you.

Wouldn't you find somewhere quiet?

And good for you, armybound! We should all really know more about the world.
well yeah, that makes sense. I just figured sometimes people wouldn't have a chance to find somewhere private. unless somewhere like a bathroom is acceptable.

what's this about running water? I've seen people have to wash their feet before they pray I think? so maybe a bathroom would be acceptable? I've never walked in a bathroom and seen someone praying though.

I think people go for the direction in which Mecca is closer. Not sure if the opp is OK.

Praying anywhere is good. At my school we all just pray in the corner of the library. The hijab is a little more controversial, some believe you don't necessarily need to wear it so long as you maintain your modesty, but I won't get into that. Prayer is concrete, it needs to be done.

"But the taxpayer-funded training program"

I don't think this would happen in the U.S. due to separation of church and state. I do not know if GB has such a policy.

Well, since the U.S. started that policy because of British religious persecution, they might not have followed suit right away with their own...

Praying anywhere is good. At my school we all just pray in the corner of the library. The hijab is a little more controversial, some believe you don't necessarily need to wear it so long as you maintain your modesty, but I won't get into that. Prayer is concrete, it needs to be done.
oh I see. what time of day is the prayer done and what is the significance of those times?

well yeah, that makes sense. I just figured sometimes people wouldn't have a chance to find somewhere private. unless somewhere like a bathroom is acceptable.

what's this about running water? I've seen people have to wash their feet before they pray I think? so maybe a bathroom would be acceptable? I've never walked in a bathroom and seen someone praying though.

I walked in on some girls in school praying in a public annex...they jumped up and quickly put their mats away as if they weren't supposed to be caught. I don't understand why they would be so skittish, There were no doors in the room, it's just an extension of the hallway with some tables and chairs. Someone is bound to walk in on them.

i'm not Muslim and im not offended, but i think someone else will not take this lightly

Then let them get offended...they will post something a few people will realize that they said something ignorant and apologize and the world will just keep on turning.

Aren't there better things in life to be offended over than a thread on SDN...like Paris Hilton for instance? :)

y'all are cracking jokes about something sacred to a lot of people

stop while you're ahead

I am going to have to agree here. Hear me out, Cheetos man has good humor, but the next person to stumble along this thread might not, he/she takes offense to a joke, someone says chill, and they take it as a personal affront (AND YOU CAN'T SAY NOT TO, its something important to that individual) and it'll go down hill from there.

Just my opinion, but maybe no jokes if possible??? yeah, I know, I'm no fun.

oh I see. what time of day is the prayer done and what is the significance of those times?

Sunrise, noon, afternoon, sunset, and night. You're supposed to do it throughout the day to worship God regardless of what you're doing at that specific time. It shows commitment and closeness to God.

Then let them get offended...they will post something a few people will realize that they said something ignorant and apologize and the world will just keep on turning.

Aren't there better things in life to be offended over than a thread on SDN...like Paris Hilton for instance? :)

Teh intarwebs r srs biznes!!