bromocriptine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read new studies on this drug and all the different problems it is being used to treat. Among many things it is used to treat certain problems that comes with parkinson disease, one of them being over production of sebum. New studies for people with acne have been showing great results. After reading the side effects I am asking, would taking this drug cause any problems if being used strictly for the reduction of sebum? afterall it is being used to treat things from parkinsons disease to low sperm count in men.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read new studies on this drug and all the different problems it is being used to treat. Among many things it is used to treat certain problems that comes with parkinson disease, one of them being over production of sebum. New studies for people with acne have been showing great results. After reading the side effects I am asking, would taking this drug cause any problems if being used strictly for the reduction of sebum? afterall it is being used to treat things from parkinsons disease to low sperm count in men.

Give us the citations to all of these new studies "showing great results". On first look, I am not finding any.

Give us the citations to all of these new studies "showing great results". On first look, I am not finding any.

:smuggrin:

You sound like someone I know.. Me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it would cause all those side-effects - many of them related to the CNS. It seems to me that there are better things to treat acne. There's isotretinoin for severe cases or increased attention to hygiene plus benzoyl peroxide for milder cases.

I've seen the Parkinson's, but all I'm finding on acne treatment calls it an "alternative hormonal approach" and says that there is little evidence to back up the efficacy.

actually...there's quite a few articles on medline...

I have a good article..PM me your email... I'll send it to you.

The Parkinson-Control study: a 1-year randomized, double-blind trial comparing piribedil (150 mg/day) with bromocriptine (25 mg/day) in early combination with levodopa in Parkinson's disease. [Clinical Trial. Comparative Study. Journal Article. Multicenter Study. Randomized Controlled Trial. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't] Movement Disorders. 21(4):500-9, 2006 Apr.
UI: 16267842

actually...there's quite a few articles on medline...

I have a good article..PM me your email... I'll send it to you.

The Parkinson-Control study: a 1-year randomized, double-blind trial comparing piribedil (150 mg/day) with bromocriptine (25 mg/day) in early combination with levodopa in Parkinson's disease. [Clinical Trial. Comparative Study. Journal Article. Multicenter Study. Randomized Controlled Trial. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't] Movement Disorders. 21(4):500-9, 2006 Apr.
UI: 16267842

Well, if there are quite a few good articles, I hate to say you picked a bad one when it comes to this particular thread. What does this study have to do with anything the original post referred to? Sebum production, acne?? The study you reference is an efficacy analysis comparing a drug that is not available in the United States (piribedil) to bromocriptine as far as I can see. Why is this relevant?

The journal has an impact factor of 3.2, which translates to a ranking of 26/140 journals in clinical neurology (pretty good I guess).

Maybe you have a different article you wanted me, or someone else to PM you about.

1988 is not quite what I consider new data, and a study evaluating 20 patients in a foreign journal would not be what I call landmark research.

It was late, and I wasn't paying attention to the date. Sorry. :oops:

It was late, and I wasn't paying attention to the date. Sorry. :oops:

Oh no problem at all, it looked like an interesting article actually. I was hoping the OP would post the references which compelled him/her to start this thread. I don't have a particular interest in bromocriptine, but it sounds interesting, and I couldn't find any new studies showing these great results he/she speaks about. I could be looking in the wrong place perhaps.

if you're looking at alternative acne therapies I hear a lot of people have had lots of luck with spironolactone.

I'm not sure if the dosing for acne would cause man boobs.

Sorry for taking long to reply, the articles have not all said that it has been used specifically to treat acne. However they are about treating the over production of sebum. Reducing sebum would reduce acne just like accutane. without the side effects like ,thin hair/hairloss, sunburn-sensitive skin,dry or fragile skin, dry or cracked lips,delay in wound healing. Not to mention the initial breakout that can be worse then your current problem.

here are some of the articles:http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:IHRrZEblte0J:www.soci.org/SCI/general/2007/html/ge633.jsp+summit+nigel+blackburn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:IHRrZEblte0J:www.soci.org/SCI/general/2007/html/ge633.jsp+summit+nigel+blackburn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2764750&dopt=AbstractPlus

So my question is can something happen if you take it other than the side effects already mentioned? If it is also used to treat low sperm count/infertility, cocaine addiction, parkinson's, diabetes and obesity can using it strictly for the effect of low sebum production be dangerous? what can happen? an excess production of sperm? j/k..or maybe not

Sorry for taking long to reply, the articles have not all said that it has been used specifically to treat acne. However they are about treating the over production of sebum. Reducing sebum would reduce acne just like accutane. without the side effects like ,thin hair/hairloss, sunburn-sensitive skin,dry or fragile skin, dry or cracked lips,delay in wound healing. Not to mention the initial breakout that can be worse then your current problem.

here are some of the articles:http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...mmit+nigel+blackburn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...mmit+nigel+blackburn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2764750&dopt=AbstractPlus

So my question is can something happen if you take it other than the side effects already mentioned? If it is also used to treat low sperm count/infertility, cocaine addiction, parkinson's, diabetes and obesity can using it strictly for the effect of low sebum production be dangerous? what can happen? an excess production of sperm? j/k..or maybe not

I think I understand the question, but once again, nothing you linked has to do with a "new study showing great results." In fact, the only thing you referenced that even looked like an actual clinical study was from 1989, how could you start this thread saying you have read several new studies (and once again, this was data from a journal not even published in the English language)? My guess is if this practice didn't catch on 18 years ago when this was apparently looked at, it's not going to become a therapeutic option anytime soon. You guys should work on your literature evaluation techniques, my goodness. Also, this study was done in patients who were 50+ years old, and wouldn't even come close to being applicable to a younger person who had acne. Perhaps someone can offer an answer to your question, but I think the basis for asking it in the first place is flimsy at best...

yeah, have to say, as a discerning 24-year-old woman I'd give you a pretty suspicious look if I found that in your medicine cabinet. I'm pretty sure none of the indications would be good for your dating life.

I see it used a lot by people on psych meds to alleviate some of their side effects.

ummmmm, ok, who cares? Is anyone going to present any data that pertains to the genesis of this thread? And not chemistry websites or studies from three decades ago; I don't think people throwing around random opinions will make any difference here.

Nope, just a random thought that the ethanol made me post.

I see it used a lot by people on psych meds to alleviate some of their side effects.

ummmmm, ok, who cares? Is anyone going to present any data that pertains to the genesis of this thread? And not chemistry websites or studies from three decades ago; I don't think people throwing around random opinions will make any difference here.