Brooklyn, NY Hotels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbieme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does any one know of any good hotels in Brooklyn, NY. I have an interview in NY I am flying into New York through either La Guardia or JFK airport and need hotel accommodations in Brooklyn. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Proximity to subway is always good to have....I stayed at holiday inn express Brooklyn union st. Reasonable price, clean, fast internet.

Consider contacting the program coordinator wherever you are interviewing; he or she may have a recommendation or even know of somewhere that offers discounts or shuttle service to interviewees.

Proximity to subway is always good to have....I stayed at holiday inn express Brooklyn union st. Reasonable price, clean, fast internet.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check that one out. Most of the places I had seen were $170+ per night which is a bit pricey.

Consider contacting the program coordinator wherever you are interviewing; he or she may have a recommendation or even know of somewhere that offers discounts or shuttle service to interviewees.

I contacted them before posting this and they said that they didn't have a list, but it would have been good if they had some suggestions. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check that one out. Most of the places I had seen were $170+ per night which is a bit pricey.
$170 a night in NYC for something other than a single bed with a shared bathroom is actually a bargain. You may want to reconsider doing residency in NYC if this is news to you.

Reactions: 1 users
$170 a night in NYC for something other than a single bed with a shared bathroom is actually a bargain. You may want to reconsider doing residency in NYC if this is news to you.

170+ a night for a hotel that I will likely only get to stay in for 6-7hrs max is pricey especially when you factor in the other costs of travel. Maybe for a resident or for a physician it does not seem like that much but I am neither.
Plus when you're a resident you won't be staying in hotels and I doubt rent for an apartment would come out to 170 per night, so I don't think I will base my residency location choice on hotel prices in those respective cities/states. But thanks for your post.

Overreact much? The point that seems to have been missed is that new york is expensive. Period.

Hotels cost more.

Apartments cost more.

Food costs more.

If you're getting sticker shock over a $170 hotel bill, then yeah, NYC might not be the best place for you.

I am not sure what you mean by this. I think you took my post the wrong way. I was simply saying that for a medical student that is pricey. As a resident you have money coming in to pay for an apartment, food, transportation but for someone in the application process going on interviews in multiple cities and states with no income that is pricey. I am sorry if you don't feel the same way.

I think somehow my inquiry about some good hotel options somehow got derailed so I welcome any more suggestions on hotels if anyone is willing to offer any advice.

I am not sure what you mean by this. I think you took my post the wrong way. I was simply saying that for a medical student that is pricey. As a resident you have money coming in to pay for an apartment, food, transportation but for someone in the application process going on interviews in multiple cities and states with no income that is pricey. I am sorry if you don't feel the same way.

I think somehow my inquiry about some good hotel options somehow got derailed so I welcome any more suggestions on hotels if anyone is willing to offer any advice.
We are aware that that is expensive for a student. It's also a bargain. Just like a 1BR apartment in a neighborhood near your future NYC training site that feels safe enough to leave or return to at 4am for under $2500 a month will also be a bargain. Get used to it if you're planning to train in NYC.

That was my point.

170+ a night for a hotel that I will likely only get to stay in for 6-7hrs max is pricey especially when you factor in the other costs of travel. Maybe for a resident or for a physician it does not seem like that much but I am neither.
Plus when you're a resident you won't be staying in hotels and I doubt rent for an apartment would come out to 170 per night, so I don't think I will base my residency location choice on hotel prices in those respective cities/states. But thanks for your post.
gutonc's point is NYC is expensive…for new york (even if you are only going to spend a few hours in the room) 170 is actually a reasonable if not cheap hotel room….and the cost of the hotel room is reflexive of the expense of living in the city…50-60% of your residents' salary in places like NYC will go to living expenses…frankly as a med student you have access to more money than the average resident, i.e. you can take out loans, residents cannot…

there ARE rooms that you can rent by the hour in NYC, but wold not recommend them...

You can try airbnb.com and see if you can crash on somebody's couch for the night. There's also the name your own price feature on priceline.com.

You can try airbnb.com and see if you can crash on somebody's couch for the night. There's also the name your own price feature on priceline.com.

thanks hurryupnwait! I was looking at airbnb.com and there are some great deals there. I was also able to find some hotels under 120/night on priceline.com and booking.com for anyone else who may be interested in finding some deals in New York.
Thanks again