BROWN MED SCHOOL c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golftrippy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The few and the proud of Brown Med '10. After getting in through standard admissions, I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna be at Brown. Feel free to post if you are sure you're going to Brown, hopefully going to Brown, or deciding whether to attend. Of course PLME's and any of the numerous admissions routes welcome.

Boldly Brown...

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know when revisits will be. U2 is coming to town in early April and I am hoping there won't be a conflict. Thanks

stratom said:
Anybody know when revisits will be. U2 is coming to town in early April and I am hoping there won't be a conflict. Thanks

I think its April 28th, so probably not a conflict.

Members don't see this ad :)
golftrippy said:
I think its April 28th, so probably not a conflict.

I'm going up to Brown this weekend with my folks, so I will come back and give an update. Want to check out the on-campus facilities and see more of Providence...and show my parents that its not scary.

golftrippy said:
I'm going up to Brown this weekend with my folks, so I will come back and give an update. Want to check out the on-campus facilities and see more of Providence...and show my parents that its not scary.

Did you arrange this visit through Brown, or are you visiting independently? I'd also like to take another look at Brown, but I won't be able to make it to the revisit day.

I'm curious to hear what your second impression is like, especially if you get to see the classroom/teaching facilities. Thanks for keeping us informed!

pdavis42 said:
Did you arrange this visit through Brown, or are you visiting independently? I'd also like to take another look at Brown, but I won't be able to make it to the revisit day.

I'm curious to hear what your second impression is like, especially if you get to see the classroom/teaching facilities. Thanks for keeping us informed!

I arranged this through Brown, I wanted my parents to meet my interviewer and let her sell them on the school because she's so great (Barbara Fuller--great lady). I also had a fin aid meeting with Linda Gillette, and then got a tour of the on-campus facilities from a first year student.

My second impressions were that I liked the place even more than the first time. The weather was a lot nicer, and Providence with the sun shining is a beautiful city. I really enjoyed seeing other parts of the city, like Federal Hill. Definately a great city. We also went over to Newport which is an amazing place as well. As far as the facilties are concerned, the new renovations to the first floor hallways and lobby make it one of the coolest buildings I've been in...there are all these light boxes with cool medical images, student images, research images that made me feel like I was in one of those cool kid science museams...very neat. On the first floor there is a nice student lounge with couches, and a student kitchen room with tables, fridge and microwave. Also the lecture hall on the 1st floor (named the purple palace) is very nice stadium seating lecture hall. The labs are in the basement with is definately a little crypt-like, but the labs themselves are actually nice. The anatomy lab is nice and four people to a cadaver is a definate plus. The histology/pathology lab is also nice because its got computers built into the lab and is very open.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

Thanks for the information -- it sounds great. I'll try to arrange my own visit.

Hello all,

this is definitely going to be one of the smallest thread seeing how small the class is at Brown Med and that so few are accepted via standard route.
I'm definitely considering Brown and will attend the second look program. I interviewed with Barbara Fuller too and she is great. Golftrippy, did you see the library? When I was there it seemed to me that all the buildings were scattered around campus, is that right? I can't wait to see the lecture hall and the labs, I wish they showed it the first time around.

doctoresse said:
Hello all,

this is definitely going to be one of the smallest thread seeing how small the class is at Brown Med and that so few are accepted via standard route.
I'm definitely considering Brown and will attend the second look program. I interviewed with Barbara Fuller too and she is great. Golftrippy, did you see the library? When I was there it seemed to me that all the buildings were scattered around campus, is that right? I can't wait to see the lecture hall and the labs, I wish they showed it the first time around.

Doctoresse,

So the "Sci-Li" is the very cool tower of a science library, I didn't go inside it though. The buildings are not scattered around campus actually...they are not on the main campus exactly (not on the main green and quads) but down the street. The Sci-Li, the bio-med building, and the life sciences building are all together.

golftrippy said:
Doctoresse,

So the "Sci-Li" is the very cool tower of a science library, I didn't go inside it though. The buildings are not scattered around campus actually...they are not on the main campus exactly (not on the main green and quads) but down the street. The Sci-Li, the bio-med building, and the life sciences building are all together.

PS. how bout the latest match list... :thumbup:

hey just wondering if any of you guys were going to second look

I am definitely going to the second look program. I need to spend a little more time there before I make my final decision. But I did love the school when I was visited. Anybody else going? I had a question about the curriculum, I know that it's mostly lectures, anybody remember if there is some PBL too?

doctoresse said:
I am definitely going to the second look program. I need to spend a little more time there before I make my final decision. But I did love the school when I was visited. Anybody else going? I had a question about the curriculum, I know that it's mostly lectures, anybody remember if there is some PBL too?

hey i'll be going to...they've been doing a lot of revamping of the curriculum. but it's basically split in half from what i gathered. it's pretty similar to the other schools i've looked at

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you guys from and would you be moving to Providence if going to Brown? I live in Boston and thinking of moving there, I'll have to take a look at apartments there.

doctoresse said:
Where are you guys from and would you be moving to Providence if going to Brown? I live in Boston and thinking of moving there, I'll have to take a look at apartments there.

Hey doctoresse, I'm from NC so I'll definately have to find a place to live

Hi all,

I have a good chance to go to Brown too. I was accepted back in Jan, and I go the finaid package already, i was matched with a good amount of Brown Scholarship that I only need to take out 25k loans per year - very attractive. (Everyone should be able to match the base amount)

I am at work and don't know if my boss will allow me to go to 2nd week look, hopefully I can go...anyone would like to comment the finaid situation?

Oh how's housing like? I may need to go down to Providence sometimes to check an apartment out or something?

oh, I love Brown! I acutally went back there for a 2nd visit during a school day and everyone I met likes the school a lot. The selectivity rank (according to latest US news) is very high for Brown! (We are like 14th...) so I had NO IDEA why I got in...(I interviewed with Dr. Weiss, I didn't think I really impressed him greatly...)

Terry

Hello Terry,

That's a pretty good scholarship you got there! That's great that you only have to take out 25K. Is the scholarship for 4 years? I'm still waiting to hear about my financial award, that will definitely help me decide between Brown and Tufts if I get such a nice scholarship... :) On the other hand, I loved Providence when I visited.

TIMTIM said:
Hi all,

I have a good chance to go to Brown too. I was accepted back in Jan, and I go the finaid package already, i was matched with a good amount of Brown Scholarship that I only need to take out 25k loans per year - very attractive. (Everyone should be able to match the base amount)

I am at work and don't know if my boss will allow me to go to 2nd week look, hopefully I can go...anyone would like to comment the finaid situation?

Oh how's housing like? I may need to go down to Providence sometimes to check an apartment out or something?

oh, I love Brown! I acutally went back there for a 2nd visit during a school day and everyone I met likes the school a lot. The selectivity rank (according to latest US news) is very high for Brown! (We are like 14th...) so I had NO IDEA why I got in...(I interviewed with Dr. Weiss, I didn't think I really impressed him greatly...)

Terry

yes....30k * 4 = 120k, deposit for my first house? =p

(total cost = tuition + room and board = 55k per year, base loan is 25k, then they can match you with scholarship and award etc...BrownMed finaid in a nutshell...)

hey guys,

current brown med student, will be helping w/ the second look day
happy to answer questions

best,
neel

hey guys,

i'll be going to second look but only on friday. i was wondering if any of you would be willing to get together and chat about possibly getting a place. get back to me thanks!

thatgirl 84 said:
hey guys,

i'll be going to second look but only on friday. i was wondering if any of you would be willing to get together and chat about possibly getting a place. get back to me thanks!

Check your pm box--and ignore the thursday part now. ;)

I am quite confused about where I can live too ... Neel, on campus/off campus, how people decide and what % of class chooses on campus, e.g.?

TIMTIM said:
I am quite confused about where I can live too ... Neel, on campus/off campus, how people decide and what % of class chooses on campus, e.g.?

very few live in housing that is technically "on campus" (like a dorm). i think there is only one in my class. most people live in off-campus brown owned or independent converted apartments, almost all of which are w/in 10 minutes (walking) of the med school
hope this helps :)

~n

Hey guys, I've decided to withdraw from Brown and go to UNC, its a tough choice but the right one for me. Good luck at Brown, its an awesome school.

I'll be heading to Brown this fall. Looks like this thread has died lately...anybody else still going? :)

Golftrippy: sorry to hear you won't be joining us. But good luck at UNC--not exactly a bad place to spend four years either.

Pemulis said:
I'll be heading to Brown this fall. Looks like this thread has died lately...anybody else still going? :)

i'm 99% sure I'm going. How big is the class coming in through standard admission? anyone know? I hope we're not alone. I'm from Cali. Any other west coasters coming?

DrMcMeanie said:
i'm 99% sure I'm going. How big is the class coming in through standard admission? anyone know? I hope we're not alone. I'm from Cali. Any other west coasters coming?

East coaster here. And I'm not actually through standard admission...I'm a post-bac admit. But culturally that's about the same, since I'm a slightly older student with no previous connections to Brown. I sort of had the feeling there would be about 25 or so students from standard admit, plus about 8-10 post-bacs. And I think the total class size was going to be 70-80. So something like 40% of the class would be non-PLME.

Good luck, and let me know what you end up deciding.

Pemulis said:
East coaster here. And I'm not actually through standard admission...I'm a post-bac admit. But culturally that's about the same, since I'm a slightly older student with no previous connections to Brown. I sort of had the feeling there would be about 25 or so students from standard admit, plus about 8-10 post-bacs. And I think the total class size was going to be 70-80. So something like 40% of the class would be non-PLME.

Good luck, and let me know what you end up deciding.

i've heard that the initial yield was over 50%, so hopefully there will be some attrition as other people get off waitlists--otherwise you guys will have a bigger than anticipated class :)

M. furfur said:
i've heard that the initial yield was over 50%, so hopefully there will be some attrition as other people get off waitlists--otherwise you guys will have a bigger than anticipated class :)

Do you think that means little to no waitlist movement this year?

Nobody has posted anything for a while....I am a PLME student at Brown and will be matriculating into Brown Med this fall. If you have any questions feel free to ask so we can get this thread running again!

WHERE DO I LIVE!?!?! HOW DO I LIVE!?!?!

Socially co-dependent West Coaster here, moving to Brown in August...totally lost...tell me anything. :D

DrMcMeanie said:
WHERE DO I LIVE!?!?! HOW DO I LIVE!?!?!

Socially co-dependent West Coaster here, moving to Brown in August...totally lost...tell me anything. :D

You should try to get housing close to the med school....Brown owns a number of off-campus residences that are relatively close to the med school. Also, The Office of Rental Properties has a list of apts/rooms for rent in the area. http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Rental_Properties/RP/index.php.. If you have any more questions let me know.

Last edited:
desi5286 said:
Just wondering how is the finanical aid from Brown? I know they say they avg students coming out with about 100k loans...but is this really true?

I got my financial aid package and 50% of it was scholarship, so according to this I should have about 100K in loans when I'm done. However I'll have to reapply every year and have no idea how different my package will be from the first year. But still that scholarship is very nice and definitely made my decision to go there very easy, it was one of the nicest financial aid packages I had.

This thread died lately, who is definitely going and where are you from? I'm from Boston, I've worked as a research associate for a drug discovery company and I'm really looking forward to going back to school. I still have to find a place down Providence but I have the whole summer off to do that. :)

desi5286 said:
Just wondering how is the finanical aid from Brown? I know they say they avg students coming out with about 100k loans...but is this really true?

I didn't qualify for any scholarships, in fact my need was -$$. So I got 40,000 in Federal sub and unsub loans. So when I'm finished I will have about $160,000 in loans which REALLY sucks...But hey...I'll live... :rolleyes: I think Doctoresse's package is similar to what most people's financial aid packages look like...

In response to Doctoresse suggestion - I'm a PLME at Brown...Just graduated this year and will be attending Brown Med in the fall....I'm originally from Long Island, NY.

doctoresse said:
I got my financial aid package and 50% of it was scholarship, so according to this I should have about 100K in loans when I'm done. However I'll have to reapply every year and have no idea how different my package will be from the first year. But still that scholarship is very nice and definitely made my decision to go there very easy, it was one of the nicest financial aid packages I had.

This thread died lately, who is definitely going and where are you from? I'm from Boston, I've worked as a research associate for a drug discovery company and I'm really looking forward to going back to school. I still have to find a place down Providence but I have the whole summer off to do that. :)

My scholarship covered 33%. Hopefully I get more later? I'm out of state (California) and the scholarship actually made it cheaper (though not by much) to go to Brown than to a UC.

So I'm definitely going. No idea how i'm gonna be able to haul all my crap over there. Looking forward to it all, shivering already at the thought of having to walk half a mile to class in the snow. is anyone planning on biking? in the winter? >.<

DrMcMeanie said:
My scholarship covered 33%. Hopefully I get more later? I'm out of state (California) and the scholarship actually made it cheaper (though not by much) to go to Brown than to a UC.

So I'm definitely going. No idea how i'm gonna be able to haul all my crap over there. Looking forward to it all, shivering already at the thought of having to walk half a mile to class in the snow. is anyone planning on biking? in the winter? >.<

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the snow either, and I've lived in Boston for a while now. Still can't get myself to like it and definitely wouldn't bike in it. We get so much snow sometimes that it makes it impossible to bike, I leave that to the brave and the courageous. :D

Last edited:
DrMcMeanie said:

hey i'm from l.a., but went to school in new york; standard admission too...see you in a few weeks!

do we all not have brown e-mail accounts yet? or did i miss something?

DrMcMeanie said:
do we all not have brown e-mail accounts yet? or did i miss something?

I just received the "welcome all letter" with all the information for the matriculation program. Looks interesting ...and intensive for people like me who did nothing the whole summer :p
What is everybody doing this summer before med school? I stopped working at the end of June to enjoy my summer and it's been great so far, I went looking at houses in Providence today and got all psyched about moving and starting school.

Hi all,

I have had my heart set on Brown for a while, but I still only have a spot on their waitlist. I was just wondering whether any of you accepted outright or accepted from the waitlist are planning to withdraw any time soon because of recent acceptances from other schools. Also, if there are any current Brown med students out there, have you heard anything about whether there will be any more waitlist movement this summer? Remaining hopeful...

Hello guys,

Does anybody know where I can find a detailed schedule for the first semester starting this august? There is one for the second semester online but not the first. Also did you all get the equipment from the recommended sheet they sent us or do you know of other (maybe cheaper) sellers?

thanks!

doctoresse said:
Hello guys,

Does anybody know where I can find a detailed schedule for the first semester starting this august? There is one for the second semester online but not the first. Also did you all get the equipment from the recommended sheet they sent us or do you know of other (maybe cheaper) sellers?

thanks!

I don't know if you were looking at this schedule - http://bms.brown.edu/academics/year1-2semester-sched.pdf but thats the schedule for last year. They haven't posted this years yet. The only thing they have updated for 2006-2007 is this - http://bms.brown.edu/academics/year1.html.

As far as the equipment my friends and I looked at like every website online and they cheapest prices we found were what MK Associates gave us. You can probably find a cheaper stethoscope online (most of us got the Littman Cardio 3) but the diagnostic kit is definitely cheaper with MK Associates. The blood pressure cuff is about the same price everywhere and Palm.com is offering some good deals on their website right now.

mohova2g said:
I don't know if you were looking at this schedule - http://bms.brown.edu/academics/year1-2semester-sched.pdf but thats the schedule for last year. They haven't posted this years yet. The only thing they have updated for 2006-2007 is this - http://bms.brown.edu/academics/year1.html.

As far as the equipment my friends and I looked at like every website online and they cheapest prices we found were what MK Associates gave us. You can probably find a cheaper stethoscope online (most of us got the Littman Cardio 3) but the diagnostic kit is definitely cheaper with MK Associates. The blood pressure cuff is about the same price everywhere and Palm.com is offering some good deals on their website right now.
Thank you very much for the useful info and links!