Brown Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on their program? I really liked it when I visited. The facilities were a bit old, but the computer system seemed up to date and I like the city of Providence. I looked it up on scutwork.com, but was only able to find interviewee's impressions. After reading what was written about Thomas Jefferson on scutwork.com, I bumped it way down on my ranking list, so it's pretty amazing how just reading stuff on the internet is going to have a pretty big impact on where I end up.

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked Brown and detailed my reasons why under the "interview impressions" thread. Almost all people I met on the interview trail liked the program as well.

Originally posted by exjersey
I really liked Brown and detailed my reasons why under the "interview impressions" thread. Almost all people I met on the interview trail liked the program as well.

Yeah, that's my impression too. I think that it's going to be really competetive to match into Brown this year because a lot of people seem to want to go there. Past years haven't seemed that competetive though, their house staff seem to all come from mid-tier med schools.

I liked Brown as well, everyone seemed very friendly there and the program directors all seemed very "hands-on".

It seemed to be less academic than some of the other places I have been. In saying that I wouldn't classify that as a bad thing, seems as though the clinical education is very diverse and broad.

I was a little concerned that a great deal of the residents stay there for fellowship (ie is there a tendency towards inbreeeding?) I think if you like the place where you are and you want to stay for 6-7 years thats not a problem. However if you want to relocate after three years it would be nice know that you have a springboard behind you to land elsewhere. Honestly I am not sure if this is even a problem, the reason I brought it up was that it seemed like an awful lot of the cards and gi (by most indications the two most competitive spots) stayed at Brown. Maybe a lot of them just wanted to stay? Saying that I just looked at my paperwork and someone is doing GI at TJ next year.

Also the schedule while on the surface appears nice, pretty much no overnight, but for all intensive purposes there are no golden weekends. Kind of nit picky and a quality of life issue but it would be nice to be able to go away for a weekend.

Be that as it may the concerns may be unfounded but I thought I would bring them to the table. There are a great many positives; great attendings, smart residents (ie. no gunners), great international program, Providence an up and coming city. I could see myself being quite happy there.