Brown or Jefferson??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brucecat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on strengths/weaknesses of these schools??

Members don't see this ad.

brucecat said:

Go to Brown, it opens more door to you. RI is also an urban setting and good place to live.

Has Brown started sending out acceptances? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
supersnuffles said:

I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone know?

brucecat said:

You're obviously an Eagles fan...I think that settles it :D

No acceptances yet from Brown...but soon. They are going to be a little stingy at first, but folks will start hearing in the not so distant future.

And by the way, I would go to Brown if accepted in a heart beat. You have all the luxuries of being in a big city without actually being in that big of a city. And Brown is about to pour a whole lot of money into the medical school.

Don't know much about Jefferson. But I can give you my two cents on Brown.

I actually thought at first that Brown was kind of overrated. I thought it carried some respect with prospective students just because of its IVY name. But after doing some searches on Brown during this application cycle, I saw that they have amazing matchlists that can equal top 20 med schools easily. So indeed its reputation is not a fluff. :)

I would go with Brown.

brown is indeed underrated. look at their matchlist...wow

scootad. said:
brown is indeed underrated. look at their matchlist...wow

I completely agree. Their match list is amazing! :D And I love Providence!

jeff w/o doubt
great city - best in america
great clinics
great opportunities
providence is whack
brown hospital sucks
e-a-g-l-e-s
cheesteaks

FYI, If you want to do Ophthalmology Brown's program is one of the worst in the country and is on probation, Jefferson's is one of the best in the world.

Wondering if any Brown 3rd/4th years could speak to the degree or lack there of, of malignant personalities at any of the following hospitals:

--Memorial Hosp of RI
--Miriam Hosp
--Rhode Island Hosp
--VA Medical Ctr
--Women & Infants Hosp of RI

What's the teaching environment like? I may be transferring in.

PBMax, you're a 4th year aren't you? What's been your experience?

ack, i, on the other hand, cannot wait to get out of providence. sucky weather - it's icky and grey 3/4ths of the year. when it snows, it sometimes rains at the same time, resulting in icy, wet, slushy conditions. wind chill. brr. nuff said. hehe, then again, i'm from singapore, so if you're a new englander, ignore my complaints.

i also would like to live in a bigger city than providence - there isn't much to do here on weekends. we have just one mall downtown and you need a car to go grocery shopping and to get to cheaper shopping malls at Seekonk. and i have to say, i don't want to spend another 2 years in the Biomed Center, a sad, grey concrete block of a building where all my bio classes (and where all of the basic science classes for med school are) were. on the bright side, second year med students get free pizza lunches once a week! =)

there are some nice things to providence, i guess. *grudgingly admits* there're all kinds of food to get if you know where to go. japanese, chinese, french, italian etc. federal hill, our little italy, has great italian restaurants at decent prices and a fabulous dessert shop called Pastiche. there're plenty of bars and clubs, if that's your scene. and i suppose, we're an hour from boston and 4 from NYC, if you feel the need for something bigger occasionally. there's also Newport and Cape Cod during the summer months.

and oh, i suppose the match list is good...;) i just don't want to live here anymore! arrrgh! houston's lookin' gooood, baby. :) yeaaah sunshine and humidity.. just like home. ahh.

I'll speak to the lack of malignant personalities at Brown.

Memorial Hospital is one of the community hospitals at Brown - absolutely one of the best hospitals for medical students. The attendings and residents there are great teachers and the staff is extremely pleasant. The same goes for the Miriam Hospital - it is reknown for its ID and cardiology but the teaching and personalities there are wonderful.

Rhode Island Hospital is the major teaching hospital at Brown. It has the busiest ER in New England and has really become an academic epicenter. The surgeons are surgeons but everyone else is super - the medicine residency is super laid back but very good in teaching. And the diversity of patients seen is extremely good.

Woman and Infants has the seventh busiest L&D floor in the U.S. It has a very good residency program. Some medical students have a good experience there, some do not. I think the folks at W&I have become very aware of making sure med students are treated fairly and thus a strong emphasis has been placed on this in the last year or so. Personally, I had a very good experience here.

Hope this helps...in short, I would do Brown Medical School all over again...it has been that good. And our match list rocks!

pbmax said:
I'll speak to the lack of malignant personalities at Brown.

Memorial Hospital is one of the community hospitals at Brown - absolutely one of the best hospitals for medical students. The attendings and residents there are great teachers and the staff is extremely pleasant. The same goes for the Miriam Hospital - it is reknown for its ID and cardiology but the teaching and personalities there are wonderful.

Rhode Island Hospital is the major teaching hospital at Brown. It has the busiest ER in New England and has really become an academic epicenter. The surgeons are surgeons but everyone else is super - the medicine residency is super laid back but very good in teaching. And the diversity of patients seen is extremely good.

Woman and Infants has the seventh busiest L&D floor in the U.S. It has a very good residency program. Some medical students have a good experience there, some do not. I think the folks at W&I have become very aware of making sure med students are treated fairly and thus a strong emphasis has been placed on this in the last year or so. Personally, I had a very good experience here.

Hope this helps...in short, I would do Brown Medical School all over again...it has been that good. And our match list rocks!

Well, that's good news....I sort of expected that was the way it was. It is good to know what one would be getting into....thanks. :)

supersnuffles said:

i just got one!!! i'm very excited! i interviewed in early january and just heard via email....

good luck everyone! :luck:

monstermatch said:
FYI, If you want to do Ophthalmology Brown's program is one of the worst in the country and is on probation, Jefferson's is one of the best in the world.

Where do u get info on things like this? and does being on probation necessarily mean it's a bad program?

umm...yeah, is this even a question? go to brown man.

turkeymou said:
i just got one!!! i'm very excited! i interviewed in early january and just heard via email....

good luck everyone! :luck:

Awesome! Congratulations! :D :clap:

I had no idea that they send acceptances via e-mail. I interviewed in January also! :luck: :luck:

Do you think you'll go to Brown? Are you a Standard MD applicant?

Ambs said:
Awesome! Congratulations! :D :clap:

I had no idea that they send acceptances via e-mail. I interviewed in January also! :luck: :luck:

Do you think you'll go to Brown? Are you a Standard MD applicant?

Thanks! I'm really happy too. I really like Brown and it is my first medical school acceptance so it's even more exciting. I can't believe that I'm finally going to be a doctor!!

Not sure where I will go yet but I really liked Brown's hospitals, amazingly good matchlist, program flexibility, commitment to community service and location.

The email said that my official notification is coming via snail mail; the email was them being nice and letting me know as soon as possible about their decision. So I think they officially accept via snail mail and not sure if email is standard also....

But I am a standard MD applicant.

Lots of luck to you!!!!! :thumbup: :luck: