Brown or New York?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfpropsychguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys about Brown. I've noticed that most people believe that the New York programs are the best as far as training goes. Is Brown, even though not in NY, considered to be a top program.

Obviously Brown is an Ivy league school but does that mean that the psychiatry program is Ivy as well.

I spoke to one of my attendings at "One of those top NY programs", dont want to mention the name, he told me that Brown is not that great and I shouldnt bother applying there. When I told him that I have an interview there he told me to save my money I would waste traveling.

I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has interviewed there or if you are actually a resident there, even better!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys about Brown. I've noticed that most people believe that the New York programs are the best as far as training goes. Is Brown, even though not in NY, considered to be a top program.

Obviously Brown is an Ivy league school but does that mean that the psychiatry program is Ivy as well.

I spoke to one of my attendings at "One of those top NY programs", dont want to mention the name, he told me that Brown is not that great and I shouldnt bother applying there. When I told him that I have an interview there he told me to save my money I would waste traveling.

I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has interviewed there or if you are actually a resident there, even better!!

I have no connection to NYC, Brown, or any program east of the Alleghenies.
Nor have I any firm opinions about the quality of any of those programs. (Except of course, Mass Gen, which as we all know, is number one in everything--they're like the New England Patriots of medicine!) :D

I am responding merely to warn you all that there is a substantial amount of "negative recruiting" that can happen on the interview trail. As in any field, there are people who believe that kicking dust on somebody else's program makes their own program seem brighter in comparison--when really it just obscures everyone's vision and makes your eyes bleed.

There is adequate, even phenomenal, clinical education and research occuring across all major time zones of this land of ours. When someone tells you that a program is a waste of your time, either smile and nod politely, or if you feel up to it, challenge such statements with a request for specifics. Then go to your interviews and make up your own mind!

I have no connection to NYC, Brown, or any program east of the Alleghenies.
Nor have I any firm opinions about the quality of any of those programs. (Except of course, Mass Gen, which as we all know, is number one in everything--they're like the New England Patriots of medicine!) :D

I am responding merely to warn you all that there is a substantial amount of "negative recruiting" that can happen on the interview trail. As in any field, there are people who believe that kicking dust on somebody else's program makes their own program seem brighter in comparison--when really it just obscures everyone's vision and makes your eyes bleed.

There is adequate, even phenomenal, clinical education and research occuring across all major time zones of this land of ours. When someone tells you that a program is a waste of your time, either smile and nod politely, or if you feel up to it, challenge such statements with a request for specifics. Then go to your interviews and make up your own mind!

Great advice! Thanks for the quick reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like with SUNY, I wasn't able to interview at Brown. However, my med school has sent a few into their psych program over the last couple years and I can tell you that they have been very happy with the program. In general, the program is very highly regarded and everyone I've ever talked to about it has only said good things. IMHO, you should hands down go on this interview.

I'd really hate to think that one of your attendings is using false negative recruiting. I don't know. I don't know & can't judge Brown's reputation. However I know it can happen, especially if a program wants you. They might try to downplay some of the other programs.

I'd suggest you talk to residents in the programs and get their take on it.

Since you appear to be shooting for the upper tier programs (congratulations on that), they tend to be geared towards giving you oppurtunities in academia & research. Do you want to go that route?

According to Freida, Brown's program is community-based, which seems to be geared less toward academics.

I am a PGY-2 resident at Brown, and am very happy with my training! The program is geared towards academics. Golfpropsychguy: Please feel free to send me a private message, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I interviewed at many of the top NYC programs (and did electives at 2 of them), so I can give you my thoughts on comparing these programs with Brown. I hope you will interview with us!

I am a PGY-2 resident at Brown, and am very happy with my training! The program is geared towards academics. Golfpropsychguy: Please feel free to send me a private message, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I interviewed at many of the top NYC programs (and did electives at 2 of them), so I can give you my thoughts on comparing these programs with Brown. I hope you will interview with us!

Yankeepsych, how is the psychotherapy training at Brown? Are there moonlighting opportunities? Do most graduates stay in the RI area, do fellowships, or take academic positions?

I'm at one of those NY programs, but I have friends at Brown, and it's got plenty of excellent trainees and faculty members. If you like it (and want a somewhat smaller place) no reason not to go...

I'm at one of those NY programs, but I have friends at Brown, and it's got plenty of excellent trainees and faculty members. If you like it (and want a somewhat smaller place) no reason not to go...

Which one?

As for its reputation in academics, Brown currently has over $50 million in externally sponsored research protocols. The reason this doesn't appear on many lists is because the money gets doled out amongst the affiliated hospitals, and only a small percentage goes to the university itself. But no matter how you slice it, all of that money goes to the Department of Psychiatry.

I can't speak to the type of psychotherapy training that residents get, but I can say that there are many world-class psychotherapy treatment-outcome researchers on faculty (both psychiatrists and psychologists).