jazzmin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
Status
i'm trying to figure out my ranking of schools, but i'm stuck here. can you guys please help me? thanks for any advice or personal experiences you can offer.

here are my thoughts:

brown:
1. good curriculum and clinical opportunities
2. great matchlist
3. (-) approx. 10K more per year...ouch!

ucla/drew:
1. it's cheaper! CA resident so in-state tuition
2. closer to my family & friends
3. extensive clinical exposure to the underserved
4. ucla has a great curriculum
5. (-) accreditation issues with the King hospital...not sure if this will effect residency matching?

*the ucla/drew admissions staff said that if clinical rotations aren’t adequate through the king hospital, they’ll send us to ucla affiliated hospitals. it was great to hear that ucla will do whatever it takes to support this program, but at the same time, these accreditation issues are concerning.

*b/c of the accreditation issues at king, i think it'd be better to go with brown, but it's also more $$$ and further from family & friends. :confused:

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
jazzmin said:
i'm trying to figure out my ranking of schools, but i'm stuck here. can you guys please help me? thanks for any advice or personal experiences you can offer.

here are my thoughts:

brown:
1. good curriculum and clinical opportunities
2. great matchlist
3. (-) approx. 10K more per year...ouch!

ucla/drew:
1. it's cheaper! CA resident so in-state tuition
2. closer to my family & friends
3. extensive clinical exposure to the underserved
4. ucla has a great curriculum
5. (-) accreditation issues with the King hospital...not sure if this will effect residency matching?

*the ucla/drew admissions staff said that if clinical rotations aren’t adequate through the king hospital, they’ll send us to ucla affiliated hospitals. it was great to hear that ucla will do whatever it takes to support this program, but at the same time, these accreditation issues are concerning.

*b/c of the accreditation issues at king, i think it'd be better to go with brown, but it's also more $$$ and further from family & friends. :confused:
I agree with your sentiment about Drew, I would just stay away from questionable schools right now. Are you in line at anymore UC's?

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i'd go to brown also - it's a great medical school, and you don't have to deal with questionable medical training (like Drew)

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
go to brown.
i picked case western over drew/ucla for those hospital reasons

macaddict78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Status
I agree with you to some extent Pico61. I am from Los Angeles also and I am highly concerned with the accredition issues and closure of ED's and other departments that are in everso critical in areas like South Central and East LA. However, my concern would be the quality of services provided. If the quality of services is sliding (which it is at King) then I would also be worried about the quality of education that I am recieving while I am doing my rotations during my 3rd or 4th yr. I have much respect for the history of Drew and the reasons for its inception after the Watts riots, since I think social instability and health of the population has a strong association. But for the reasons above, Drew did not even make my list of medical schools in which I applied. My hope is not to just to bring access to medical care to underserved areas, but to bring quality access in medical care services to Los Angeles when I return from medical school. I would pick Brown over Drew/UCLA if I had the choice.

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pico61 said:
ucla/drew is all ucla anyway....it is strange how cowardly premeds talk about how they want to help underserved, and when the sheat hits the fan they want to run from problems...To see you question your commitment and run to brown makes me wonder how the hell you got into ucla/drew in the first place.....it is so sad...

u should be brave and go to drew/ucla and fight to get the accreditation back.. stay in california and fight the republicans, fkn bastards, they are eliminating all programs to help the underserved, trying to discredit all underserved programs like the ucla/drew, everything that happens at drew happens everywhere, harvard, hopkins, usc, ucla, it just happens that when blacks and latinos are power they become an easy target...and since drew does not have money it becomes an even easier target......

if you run to brown, then you should question your ideals at this point....

i am from the heart of an underserved community in la and to hear you say this "b/c of the accreditation issues at king, i think it'd be better to go with brown" is disgrace to others that really want to help...at this point i could only imagine that you lied your way into drew...damm cowards....sorry but i do not have sympathy for people that front like they are trying to become physicians that help underserved (neglected-is more approriate) communities and then say the sheat your saying.........

fake
most people who want to work with the underserved want to learn as much about institutional delivery of care as they do from actually gaining clinical experience from the underserved. i question how much you can learn about serving the underserved at King/Drew considering its recent history of incompetent staff, poor management, and inefficiency in operations (which is the real reason it lost its accreditation). To support King/Drew as it is would be to say that it is okay to give the poor lower quality medical services - and that i absolutely do not agree with.

people who say that king/drew was closed because it was where "blacks and latinos had power" are seriously misinformed. first off, there is no latino leadership at the hosptial. secondly, while the history of the hospital is amazing, the fact is the institution has not remained so. is its current state of health care delivery is pathetic.

i am from los angeles, spent 3 years working directly with low-income folks who did not had no access to health care, and know that king/drew is not a place poor people go to feeling confident they will receive the best care.

so please don't lay judgement on people or circumstances you have no real familiarity with. :thumbdown: if you want to effectively learn how to serve the poor, you have to learn from institutions that are currently serving them in the best way. king/drew is NOT it.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
pico61 said:
ucla/drew is all ucla anyway....it is strange how cowardly premeds talk about how they want to help underserved, and when the sheat hits the fan they want to run from problems...To see you question your commitment and run to brown makes me wonder how the hell you got into ucla/drew in the first place.....it is so sad...

u should be brave and go to drew/ucla and fight to get the accreditation back.. stay in california and fight the republicans, fkn bastards, they are eliminating all programs to help the underserved, trying to discredit all underserved programs like the ucla/drew, everything that happens at drew happens everywhere, harvard, hopkins, usc, ucla, it just happens that when blacks and latinos are power they become an easy target...and since drew does not have money it becomes an even easier target......

i am from the heart of an underserved community in la and to hear you say this "b/c of the accreditation issues at king, i think it'd be better to go with brown" is disgrace to others that really want to help...at this point i could only imagine that you lied your way into drew...damm cowards....sorry but i do not have sympathy for people that front like they are trying to become physicians that help underserved (neglected-is more approriate) communities and then say the sheat your saying.........

fake

i find your post quite offensive. You don't need to go to Drew to learn to work with the underserved. Many med schools are in areas equally indigent compared to willowbrook and you can get the same experience there. Whats the point of serving the underserved if the quality of care you provide is subpar? Please dont judge people on why they chose not to go to Drew because of your shortsighted idea of care for the poor.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student

derf

Ohio Land
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
I can see your dilemma. Location was everything for me and although I'd seriously consider the choices, I'd probably end up at Drew in a similar situation. Anyway, good luck on your decision.

OP
J

jazzmin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
Status
pico61 said:

fake
there’s so many things to factor in when choosing a school. it’s great if a student wants to help the underserved and that matches drew’s mission, but there’s also other goals that are equally important- such as wanting to gain exposure to a wide range of clinical problems, providing quality care, learning about how a hospital runs effectively- and i’m not sure if drew can fulfill these other goals if king is losing accreditations and shutting down departments. there’s so much to learn and it would be a disservice to yourself and your patients if you aren’t satisfied with your education.

don’t make assumptions about me because i’m concerned about king’s accreditation issues. although king’s problems may not deter you at all from attending drew/ucla, it may play a larger role in other people’s decisions. everyone has different educational objectives, which translates to some schools being a better fit than others- so don’t judge people by which school they choose.

bugger

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
sf
Visit site
Status
jazzmin said:
there’s so many things to factor in when choosing a school. it’s great if a student wants to help the underserved and that matches drew’s mission, but there’s also other goals that are equally important- such as wanting to gain exposure to a wide range of clinical problems, providing quality care, learning about how a hospital runs effectively- and i’m not sure if drew can fulfill these other goals if king is losing accreditations and shutting down departments. there’s so much to learn and it would be a disservice to yourself and your patients if you aren’t satisfied with your education.

don’t make assumptions about me because i’m concerned about king’s accreditation issues. although king’s problems may not deter you at all from attending drew/ucla, it may play a larger role in other people’s decisions. everyone has different educational objectives, which translates to some schools being a better fit than others- so don’t judge people by which school they choose.

When were you notified of your acceptance to Drew??