Brown PLME vs BU SMED

Randompremed123450

Reaction score
Hello everyone! High school senior here. I'm incredibly lucky to say that I got into my top two choices for college- Brown PLME and BU SMED. Both are BS/MD programs that give me a guaranteed spot at their med school. I just wanted to hear your input on which would be a better option. The price will be similar for both.

Brown
Pros
-no (or very lenient from my understanding) GPA requirement

-no MCAT

-open curriculum

-easier to pursue different academic areas

-easier study abroad

-ivy league

- larger program (I would want to spend the next 8yrs with a bigger group of people)

-more diversity within program

Cons
-location (providence is good but compared to Boston)

-med school ranking (not as high as BUSM but not by much so I'm not sure if this should be a make or break)

-some people said I won't be as prepared for med school because the academic requirements are so relaxed but I'm not too convinced by this argument

BU SMED
Pros
- higher med school ranking

-Boston- medical mecca, great internship/ research opportunities outside of school too

-7 years, will be done a year early (BU SMED does 3 yrs of undergrad-I don't mind 8 years tho)

Cons
- 3.2 GPA & MCAT 80% percentile requirement- I heard nobody gets kicked out but harder than PLME
- Have to spend summer after sophomore year taking a summer class instead of internship opportunities
- smaller program and less flexibility with classes- my freshman year I would take 2 classes that are composed almost entirely of other SMED. I'm worried I'm going to get tired of being with the same people 24/7
- undergrad prestige (BU is a great school, just compared to Brown)
-harder study abroad- it's definitely possible but lots of variables up in the air for me to fit it in during my 3 yrs of undergrad
- i won't have a senior year of college (not that big of a deal)

Thank you! Any advice is welcome:)

Members don't see this ad.

Brown hands down. Med schools are basically equal, you’ll probably have a much more intellectually fulfilling undergrad experience at Brown vs. BU.

Reactions: 4 users