Brown ScM (Master of Science in Medical Sciences) Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I couldn't find a thread about this program from Brown and was wondering what the program was like/outcomes for alumni/and if anyone has heard anything regarding interviews or decisions yet.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is helpful, I just applied to this program as well and received an interview on Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are very into public health initiatives and serving the underserved. If you have those experiences, play them up. Also, they told me they liked that I was introspective and reflective in my personal statement. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
They are very into public health initiatives and serving the underserved. If you have those experiences, play them up. Also, they told me they liked that I was introspective and reflective in my personal statement. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that info! Did you hear back from your interview? Also, when were you complete and when did you receive the interview invite?

Thanks for that info! Did you hear back from your interview? Also, when were you complete and when did you receive the interview invite?
I interviewed there a few weeks ago. After speaking with the faculty, I was convinced this is more of a revenue generator for Brown than a serious recruitment tool for their med school. One professor that interviewed me basically said I was overqualified and she was surprised I wasn't in an MD or PhD program already. All in all this program costs 100K without a guarantee of medical school. In fact Brown reserves half the spots in their med school for their freshman undergrads under a special program. All I was told is I would get a letter of rec through this Masters but that just doesn't justify the 100K investment for me. Best of luck to everyone in their decision making.

I interviewed there a few weeks ago. After speaking with the faculty, I was convinced this is more of a revenue generator for Brown than a serious recruitment tool for their med school. One professor that interviewed me basically said I was overqualified and she was surprised I wasn't in an MD or PhD program already. All in all this program costs 100K without a guarantee of medical school. In fact Brown reserves half the spots in their med school for their freshman undergrads under a special program. All I was told is I would get a letter of rec through this Masters but that just doesn't justify the 100K investment for me. Best of luck to everyone in their decision making.

I actually ended up making this same conclusion and going with a different school. I think that you made the right choice

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm a current student in the Brown Gateways program and this hasn't been my experience at all. I've absolutely loved my year here so far, and believe it was the right program fit for me. If anybody has any questions about the program or application process, feel free to message me!

I'm a current student in the Brown Gateways program and this hasn't been my experience at all. I've absolutely loved my year here so far, and believe it was the right program fit for me. If anybody has any questions about the program or application process, feel free to message me!
I just applied and I am very nervous about getting in....

I just applied and I am very nervous about getting in....
Good luck! I'm happy to talk to you more about the interview and the program if you are interested.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current student here. Brown doesn't reserve half the spots for their undergrads. There is no linkage program currently. However a majority of students who applied got interviews, which at Warren Alpert is very significant. We are waiting to hear from them. This program is about 70 grand. Far from 100 grand. It's a small class with a lot of support and a fantastic staff. I highly recommend

Last edited:
Brown vs Tulane
I am curious if you feel this program at Brown is helpful to get into medical school?
Tulane 's has a 90% acceptance rate, what is Brown's?

Brown vs Tulane
I am curious if you feel this program at Brown is helpful to get into medical school?

Brown vs Tulane

As a student who graduated in the inaugural class of the program last year, I definitely believe it has helped me and many of my classmates find success in getting into medical school. However, there haven't been any official stats published because the program is just about to graduate its second class this coming May. Many students are also on different timelines for what cycle they are planning on applying. Happy to talk more about my experience if you have more questions.

As a student who graduated in the inaugural class of the program last year, I definitely believe it has helped me and many of my classmates find success in getting into medical school. However, there haven't been any official stats published because the program is just about to graduate its second class this coming May. Many students are also on different timelines for what cycle they are planning on applying. Happy to talk more about my experience if you have more questions.

I just came across this program. Where you at least able to interview at the medical school after the master program? From what I read there is no "linkage" into their medical school.

I just came across this program. Where you at least able to interview at the medical school after the master program? From what I read there is no "linkage" into their medical school.

Yes, students from this program have interviewed at the med school and some have also been accepted! Like you mentioned though, there is no official linkage.

I completed my application January 2nd, when should I hear back?

I was wondering if the majority of the class apply to medical school the summer right before the program starts or if they wait to graduate from the program then apply (in other words, taking another gap year)?

I was wondering if the majority of the class apply to medical school the summer right before the program starts or if they wait to graduate from the program then apply (in other words, taking another gap year)?
When I interviewed, they were all studying for their DATs/MCATs. I believe most would take "another gap year".