BRS anatomy series or High Yield ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lekky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello ppl,
i have heard that the high yied gross anat, neuroanat, and embryo series is better than the BRS one, but i just checked it in bookstore, and high yield books dont have any questions at the end of each chapter. I was wondering if anyone has compared both for content and what their thoughts are. thx.

Members don't see this ad.

The High Yield series are much better for board review as they are much shorter and only contain board pertinent material. Plus I liked that the HY book had a lot of pathology correlations. You will get plenty of practice anatomy quesions with Kaplan QBank.

BRS is almost like Clinical Anatomy textbook in that it is very complete and very thick. It's much too exhaustive for board review. There are very few pure anatomy questions on Step 1, and your time is better spent on other subjects. If you want a nice review book to aid you during your freshman year anatomy course, BRS is great. If you want a quick review of the pertinent topics in anatomy sufficient for boards, High Yield is your choice. I am not advising you to avoid studying for anatomy...you just don't have to know it as well as you knew it during freshman year!

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither, the books aren't clinical. You will be tested on anatomy the way you see it in the clinic (i.e. CT, CXR, AXR, etc.). These books don't cut it...trust me. Gun in another subject, know FA anatomy and review your cross sectional atlas.

I don't think much of HY gross anatomy but I think HY Neuroanatomy is a great book. Every question I had could be answered based on this book, and conversely, there were many questions I would have missed if I relied on FA alone.

the moore's clinical anatomy blue boxes are good for clinical anatomy..dono how effective they are for board prep...only an M1 here

I don't think much of HY gross anatomy but I think HY Neuroanatomy is a great book. Every question I had could be answered based on this book, and conversely, there were many questions I would have missed if I relied on FA alone.

Ditto, this book is clutch...It is still quite relevant for review during 3rd year. MRI's, CT's, etc. etc.

gosh I wished I followed this advice. While preparing, I felt for some reason I had to know all of Anatomy and Embryology, I wasted an inordinate amount of time reviewing this subject, and it was soooooooooooooo low yield, I mean even more low yield than others have mentioned here. The questions were so straight forward, that FA and kqbank questions would have been sufficient. However, if you have time or you are someone like me, that can't study from pieces of information ala FA, then HY Anatomy, HY ebryology and BRS neuroanatomy should be fine, I used all 3 and also a little of kaplan anatomy. GL