brs, netters,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ally1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!!

hi what is brs?

is netters atlas of anatomy the same as the netters text ple talk about?

and is rohen just an atlas.

thanks guys, hope you enjoy anatomy, please advise if you think anything else is helpful and where to find the LATEST editions of these books!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ally1 said:
Hello all!!!

hi what is brs?

is netters atlas of anatomy the same as the netters text ple talk about?

and is rohen just an atlas.

thanks guys, hope you enjoy anatomy, please advise if you think anything else is helpful and where to find the LATEST editions of these books!!!

BRS stands for Board Review Series. BRS review books exist for pretty much every subject out there (i.e. BRS anatomy, BRS physiology, BRS biochemistry, etc). It's basically a review book for a particular subject, which has all the high yield information in a condensed format; it is by no means a complete textbook.

I'm not sure what Netter's text is. I believe most people buy Netter's atlas of anatomy (nearly essential for doing well in anatomy). Rohan's is an atlas, like Netter's. However, Rohan's uses actual pictures of cadavers, as opposed to Netter's drawings.

I felt that Netter's was helpful for looking at the material for the first time, and then Rohan's was nice for studying for the lab practicals. But just my opinion.

I agree with nasdr about the atlases and the usefulness of the BRS books. About the Netter text, I think you mean Netter's Clinical Anatomy. Here, we got some very extensive class notes but for a textbook, the recommended one was the "little" Moore book. I'd probably get the Netter atlas and/or Rohen but then wait until you have a syllabus or book list in hand before you order anything else. The best prices are probably at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Good luck with anatomy and most importantly, have fun with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
BRS has been my clinical pseudo-Bible for medical school! I truly has been one of the best books that I've purchased, especially for Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry (during MS I), and Pathology (MS II).

I defini9tely suggest that you purchase a copy of the BRS for Gross Anatomy. It gives you all of the important facts that you will need (unlike Keith Moore, which, although is very detailed, is overwhelmingly long...but this is just my opinion) in an easy-to-understand fashion. Frank Netter's Atlas is also wonderful because the pictures are very, very detailed, and they will definitely help you get a clear, visual image of what might be stated in BRS, Moore, or any other Gross Anatomy text that you might read.

Moore's clinically oriented anatomy is really, really good for head and neck - our anatomy prof swears by it.

So see if your library has a copy, at least for that unit.

my school listed that the required text for anatomy is gray's anatomy for students, along with an atlas. i haven't read on here anyone's recommendation of gray. it seems like everyone either recommends costanzo, guyton hall, or moore. im wondering is anatomy textbook really necessary or would BRS be sufficient enough? I'm planning to buy netter's and rohen's atlases too.

waterlily said:
im wondering is anatomy textbook really necessary or would BRS be sufficient enough? I'm planning to buy netter's and rohen's atlases too.

I found that the BRS Gross Anatomy book coupled with my class notes and an atlas were all I really needed for our anatomy course. Even the BRS book can be overkill in certain areas, as I found it quite a bit more detailed than the review books I utilized in other classes.

The only other material I would suggest is reviewing the "blue clinical boxes" that are found in the big Moore's Clinical Anatomy textbook, but I would certainly not waste the money on the book just for those--I would just use the library's copy.

As far as the atlas goes, Netter's is pretty much universally considered the "must-have" (although to be fair, some people like Gray's) and I found Rohen's to be moderately useful for the lab practicals, although I think you can skip it if you can stomach a good deal of time in the gross lab. Personally I wanted to stay out of the lab as much as possible, so it was a good fit for me.