brs path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
how helpful do you all think brs pathology is for second year? and what is the best strategy for using it? during year 1, i used brs phys only usually the weekend before an exam to review. however, many people make it seem that brs path is essential for year 2, and i really dont get how to use this during a unit instead of towards an exam. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I never really used it during the school year, there just wasn't enough time. To me re-reading the notes was more high yield. However, I did read the book cover to cover when studying for boards and found it to be an excellent review of Path and very readable.

I know most people advocate using review books during your courses, but don't feel obligated, just go with what works for you. I personally never looked at the review books until board time and did very well in both my classes and Step I.

ddmo said:
I never really used it during the school year, there just wasn't enough time. To me re-reading the notes was more high yield. However, I did read the book cover to cover when studying for boards and found it to be an excellent review of Path and very readable.

I know most people advocate using review books during your courses, but don't feel obligated, just go with what works for you. I personally never looked at the review books until board time and did very well in both my classes and Step I.

Agreed. BRS path is a good review book. I used it for Step 1 and read it along with the class. I just found the corresponding chapter with what we did in class and read it after the lecture. It's up to you how you want to use it and how it works best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use RR Path instead.

medicinehopeful said:
hey all,
how helpful do you all think brs pathology is for second year? and what is the best strategy for using it? during year 1, i used brs phys only usually the weekend before an exam to review. however, many people make it seem that brs path is essential for year 2, and i really dont get how to use this during a unit instead of towards an exam. thanks

Hi there,
BRS pathology is a review book and therefore is most useful after you have taking your Pathology course. It is relatively useless to try to do regular course study from a review book as you cannot REVIEW what you have not learned in the first place.

The things that are essential for second year should be outlined in your course syllabi, course lecture materials and course assignments. After you are done with your coursework and within the context of reviewing for boards, utilize any review books that you feel are helpful.

A very common mistake among medical students is feeling that they need to have a ton of review books while going through classes or attempting to do board study during regular class study periods. Both of these practices take away from your primary learning time and are generally counterproductive to optimizing your class performance.

njbmd :)