Bruton's question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a question today regarding Bruton's agammaglobulinemia that went along the lines of, "which maternal immunoglobulin plays a major role in protecting the child from infections during the first six months of life?"

I chose IgA since maternal IgG has half life of about 3 weeks, but IgA will be around as long as the kid is breastfeeding. However, the explanation told me:

IgG played a key role in protecting the child from infections until the age of 6 months. Remember, IgG is the only antibody that can cross the placenta. Newborns with Bruton agammaglobulinemia are born with normal levels of IgG due to passive transplacental acquistion of IgG. Recurrent bacterial infections can occur after 6 months of age, which coincides with decreased levels of maternal IgG antibody.

I couldn't find anything online to specifically address this question. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not totally sure, but I think breastmilk IgA only protects the gut from infection. Additionally, I've seen the protective effect of maternal IgG to be in the months, not weeks. Wikipedia says this passive immunity can hinder an infant's full response to a vaccine for up to a year.

Here's a source talking about an IgG half life of ~80 days, with a protective effect of 6-7 months.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0008088

So is it that maternal IgG has a longer half life than 3 weeks in babies?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a question today regarding Bruton's agammaglobulinemia that went along the lines of, "which maternal immunoglobulin plays a major role in protecting the child from infections during the first six months of life?"

I chose IgA since maternal IgG has half life of about 3 weeks, but IgA will be around as long as the kid is breastfeeding. However, the explanation told me:

IgG played a key role in protecting the child from infections until the age of 6 months. Remember, IgG is the only antibody that can cross the placenta. Newborns with Bruton agammaglobulinemia are born with normal levels of IgG due to passive transplacental acquistion of IgG. Recurrent bacterial infections can occur after 6 months of age, which coincides with decreased levels of maternal IgG antibody.

I couldn't find anything online to specifically address this question. What do you guys think?

IgG as far as I'm aware.