B's and Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nintendraw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that the personal statement can be used to explain not-so-stellar (numerical) aspects of your application. My transcript for the first two years was generally B's in sciences and A's in non-sciences (e.g. writing/literature-based), but my third year transcript was straight sciences and almost all A's (upward trend). Is the string of B sciences worth explaining in the personal statement; and if so, does anyone happen to have tips/examples on how to do so without sounding terrible?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally the advice is to explain "red flags" like failed classes or semesters with a GPA in the 2.x range. B's in BCPM prereqs is quite normal

Reactions: 1 users
Generally the advice is to explain "red flags" like failed classes or semesters with a GPA in the 2.x range. B's in BCPM prereqs is quite normal
That's heartening, but... B's in almost all the BCPM prereqs (I assume this means lower-div physics/etc), spreading to some of the major-related classes? And I suppose "GPA in the 2.x range" doesn't mean one 2.x GPA class. (I suspect my GPA is barely competitive for MD, and yes, I'll apply for DO too.)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's heartening, but... B's in almost all the BCPM prereqs (I assume this means lower-div physics/etc), spreading to some of the major-related classes? And I suppose "GPA in the 2.x range" doesn't mean one 2.x GPA class. (I suspect my GPA is barely competitive for MD, and yes, I'll apply for DO too.)
At most schools the intro level BCPM classes are curved to a B or lower, so a bunch of Bs only means you were generally average in the sciences at the start of college. Not a big red flag in need of explaining. And yes I mean semester(s) with 2.x GPA not a single B- class!

You'll need an MCAT score to really assess your competitiveness at all

You should use the personal statement to explain why you want to pursue a career in medicine. No one is going to look down on you for getting Bs as long as your overall GPA is acceptable. It's not something worth calling attention to - doing so would look neurotic and likely not be well received.

Posting your actual stats would help generate more helpful answers though, if you're willing to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
efle: Thanks! I'm waiting on my MCAT score at the moment, though TPR (+ a few AMCAS) practice tests suggest I'll be around 510.

WedgeDawg: Heh, you and this old thread here are agreed that I'm a neurotic premed for wanting to explain such a thing. XDD

As of the end of junior year, my total and BCPM GPA's are around 3.5 and 3.3; and as I only have 1 major-required class after this quarter, much of senior year is devoted to GPA recovery.

3.5/3.3 are on the lower end for MD schools, but with GPA repair to a 3.6/3.4 as well as a strong MCAT, you could still very well get an MD acceptance. You're great for DO. It's not important enough to include in your personal statement.

WedgeDawg: Thanks! One final question: Do you happen to know what "strong" means? I somehow doubt it's above 50th or even 70th percentile (though for all I know, that's borderline "neuroticism").

It's going to depend on your whole application. The median MCAT for people who get into medical school is around a 510 or 511. The median MCAT for top school is a 518-520.

It would also be helpful to know your state of residency! A 3.5/510 in California vs Arkansas mean very different things

Personal statements discuss why you want to be a doctor.

You should not be discussing Cs, Ds, or Fs on these, much less freakin Bs!

Reactions: 2 users
@ChrisMack390 you can talk about bad grades

From AMCAS:

Some questions you may want to consider while writing this essay are:

· Why have you selected the field of medicine?
· What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
· What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn't been disclosed in other sections of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include information such as:

· Unique hardships, challenges, or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.
· Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are prioritizing mentioning Bs in your personal statement - your precious limited space to talk about why medicine - then I question whether you have more important aspects to yourself other than simply grades.

do you really think adcoms want to read about why you got B's in pre-reqs? LOL

@ChrisMack390 you can talk about bad grades

From AMCAS:

Some questions you may want to consider while writing this essay are:

· Why have you selected the field of medicine?
· What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
· What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn't been disclosed in other sections of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include information such as:

· Unique hardships, challenges, or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.
· Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

What you can do and what you should do are rarely synonymous.

Unless there is an incredible reason someone got bad grades, like trying to go to school while battling cancer or something, I really think this is best left for the secondaries.

I have terrible freshman and sophomore year grades - multiple Cs in biology courses, 3.0 overall GPA, etc. I left that out of my statement and addressed in every secondary that I could. N = 1 of course, but I am doing very well this cycle so far :)

Odd logic, you can't know if you'd have done the same or better with it in your PS, and so can't comment at all about where is best to mention it. You can only say keeping it to secondaries doesn't sink you.

When AMCAS suggests it and admissions peeps on these boards frequently talk about seeing it I'll have to remain a skeptic about it being something you can but shouldn't address in your PS...

Odd logic, you can't know if you'd have done the same or better with it in your PS, and so can't comment at all about where is best to mention it. You can only say keeping it to secondaries doesn't sink you.

When AMCAS suggests it and admissions peeps on these boards frequently talk about seeing it I'll have to remain a skeptic about it being something you can but shouldn't address in your PS...

I wouldn't say that AMCAS "suggests" doing that. They pose 3 questions you should answer, then say "in addition, you may want to..."

I just don't really see the benefit of highlighting negatives in your PS.

Reactions: 1 user
I just don't really see the benefit of highlighting negatives in your PS.
Totally agree, hence all the threads with people asking how to spin it well, being advised to emphasize how they improved themselves and solved their problem!

I'd say steer clear of talking about bad grades unless it's in the light of "I then realized I wanted to be a physician, so got my grades up". Most schools will give you secondary space to explain low grades if they care. There's also usually an "additional information box" on most secondaries where you could explain this if your really want.

As a nice compliment to your PS, you should put your As as your greatest achievement in secondaries

No.

Explanations in PS' always read like excuses.

You're quite the hyperacheiver if you feel that you have to explain anything less than an A grade. So chill out.

I remember reading that the personal statement can be used to explain not-so-stellar (numerical) aspects of your application. My transcript for the first two years was generally B's in sciences and A's in non-sciences (e.g. writing/literature-based), but my third year transcript was straight sciences and almost all A's (upward trend). Is the string of B sciences worth explaining in the personal statement; and if so, does anyone happen to have tips/examples on how to do so without sounding terrible?

No.

Explanations in PS' always read like excuses.

You're quite the hyperacheiver if you feel that you have to explain anything less than an A grade. So chill out.

...and they don't read like excuses in the "anything else" box in secondaries?

TBH I intentionally applied to schools that specifically ask about "academic inconsistencies" or "grades below B" on their secondaries. I figure they must be the most interested in hearing the answer. At other schools I put my same little blurb in the "anything else you want us to know" space.

OP, maybe you should note that no school ever asks anyone to explain a B.

TBH I intentionally applied to schools that specifically ask about "academic inconsistencies" or "grades below B" on their secondaries. I figure they must be the most interested in hearing the answer. At other schools I put my same little blurb in the "anything else you want us to know" space.

OP, maybe you should note that no school ever asks anyone to explain a B.

What did you say in your secondaries? I am curious at what gpa an explanation is warranted. I also don't want to seem like I am making excuses.

QUOTEE="lexswift, post: 18154471, member: 782233"]What did you say in your secondaries? I am curious at what gpa an explanation is warranted. I also don't want to seem like I am making excuses.[/QUOTE]

Mine is 3.4c/3.2s but with straight As senior year and all As and A-s throughout grad school.

I heavily stressed the steps I took to improve my grades and why I think I will continue to perform at a high academic level. No excuses.

I have B-'s in 4 BMCP courses. I will not and didn't explain any of them even when the secondary asked me to. I don't think that those are bad grades tbh but in 3 of the 4 i DEF could have done better. This is something I'll mention in an interview if they ask. Why expose your weakness? You might have the best reason for the "bad" grade but it's all just excuses at the end of the day. I prescribe you marinol.

Yeah, I got the message to not explain B's after the first four posts past mine. I ended up running out of room without it anyways. And I'm in California--which I think decreases the competitiveness of 510/3.5 cum. @piii, is your second post sarcastic?

[The "anything else" section of secondaries is] a more appropriate spot. Even better are the prompts that specifically ask about poor academics.
I suppose it's a minority of schools that have a "poor academics" secondary prompt? "Anything else" is vague enough for most/all secondaries to have it, I think.

I finished my first draft earlier in the afternoon. Probably going to put it aside for a day before coming back to it to see if I addressed @efle/AMCAS's questions as thoroughly as I could. Besides science, this draft (tries to) emphasizes my love of language and teaching as related to medicine (there are some spare characters I intend to devote to my experiences from a teaching class this quarter--I'm applying this summer). Do I need to make a new thread if I want feedback on it from here, or would asking now and renaming the subject suffice?

Last edited: