BS or BA to get into a PsyD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych0Student

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people! I just joined this network while trying to find answers online about my undergrad degree. I have about 2 years complete of my undergraduate degree in psychology. However, I have not decided whether I should shoot for the BS or BA. I really want to get into a PsyD doctorate program after graduating UT (U of Texas at Austin) but do not know if my chances will be higher if i graduate with the BS versus the BA in psych. I want to become licensed to do mental health evaluations. Please let me know what you think! Thanks <3

Members don't see this ad.

A BA vs BS will be inconsequential. As long as you graduate with the necessary coursework, have relevant experience, the minimum GPA for applicants to programs, and get good enough GRE scores you should be set up well to get interviews.

A BA vs BS will be inconsequential. As long as you graduate with the necessary coursework, have relevant experience, the minimum GPA for applicants to programs, and get good enough GRE scores you should be set up well to get interviews.

Are you saying it doesn't matter whether i get my undergrad psychology degree with a BA or BS to get into the PsyD program straight from undergrad as long as I have a good GPA and experience? Because I want to get into a PsyD program after finishing my undergrad degree instead of getting a masters first then applying for a PsyD program...thanks for the help, I am not currently enrolled at UT (I took time off), so right now I can't talk to an academic counselor at the school.

Correct, it doesn't matter whether it is BA or BS. But if you have the option of taking an extra stats class that might be personally helpful in grad school. Focus on getting some research experience if you can. Also don't plan to apply to only one doctoral program- I'll plant that seed now. Good grad programs in psych are waaaaay more competitive than undergrad.