bs vs ba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstar71115

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just visited my bio advisor in order to declare my major and I need to decide between a bachelor of science or a bachelor of arts, both in biology. The only difference between them is that I have to take analytical chem and calc 2 in order to get the bs. My advisor said that she doesn't think it would be a big deal because it's literally only two extra classes (three if you include the lab for chem). However, I'm not the biggest fan of calc or chem and would rather it not bring down my gpa. I was just wondering if anyone thinks that it would matter to vet schools if I have a bs or a ba?? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It didn't matter in my case (though it'd be hard for anyone to say whether or not it really matters since there are tons of variables between each candidate). It kinda peeves me when I think about the fact that I have a BA in a science, though. Especially since I ended up going back and taking those classes (2 sems of physics) after college anyway, as they were pre-reqs. :rolleyes:

I think the funniest part was when, after I'd finished physics, about 1.5 years after finishing undergrad, my brother asked me, "So when does your BA become a BS." :p It was kind of cute/funny.

Anyway, right, probably won't matter too much.

I don't think it really matters that much anyways, unless you want it. I kind of wish I could have gotten a BS, but my college doesn't even offer that for Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, BS was the way to go, because a BS in biology included a minor in Chemistry and basically covered all the prereqs. So, I didn't have to take a minor in something unrelated :) In your case, don't sweat it.

It really doesn't matter. In fact, it may work to your advantage and free you up to take some good pre-vet classes in animal science that you may not have time for otherwise. I have an MA (Masters of Arts) and I occasionally asked stuff like "Oh, did you go on and get a masters in religious studies?" as my second BA was in that. Nope. Biology. And research thesis driven at that. There wasn't an MS in biology. *shrug*

I agree with Electrophile--there is more to college than taking as many science/pre-req courses as possible--a BA (at most schools) gives you a chance to take classes outside your major and to explore different areas and ultimately become a more well-rounded person.

Even from a completely gung-ho veterinary style, they can help--a double major (which is easier to do with a BA) in a second, liberal arts major probably makes your application stand out, improves your verbal GRE scores, and your writing skills.

Figure out which schools you are applying to. Some require two semesters of Calculus, so you might have to take that second calc class anyway :D