UF vs CSU vs Cornell vs Ohio vs Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dancingdolphins

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so lucky to have options---but am OOS everywhere. I know cost is of utmost importance which leaves WSU and UF. I think the location and dated facilities at WSU would really impact my quality of life, but then I've also never lived somewhere like Florida before. Cornell would be great but expensive, and CSU has always been my dream but OOS tuition is extremely high but I'd qualify for food stamps there. There's a lot to think about! Any advice is welcome 🙂
 
Hey current first year here at WSU and would be more than welcome to answer any questions/concerns you might have! Imo go wherever is most affordable especially in light of new BBB loan limits/rules. Pullman, WA for me definitely was a change of pace and scenery for sure coming from opposite coast, ease of access to mass transit, etc. It has it's own beauty of course...sunsets are gorgeous and you can see lot of stars on any given night (heck some people even saw the Northern Lights this past fall) but I can only really afford to go home to see family/friends 2x year which is really hard. I try to remind myself that it is only for 4 years and that savings will translate into more financial freedom following graduation. Every school has its pros/cons but will say here at WSU faculty/staff really care about your well-being and want to see you succeed. Congrats on your multiple offers and wishing all the best to you as you go to make decision! 🙂
 
I wouldn't stress too much about "dated facilities" unless you've seen/heard many current students complaining about it. WSU produces the same level of competent doctors, even if the equipment is a bit older than that of some other schools. And their facilities certainly aren't dated enough that it won't be a similar experience to what you'll be practicing with.

I do think location is something you should consider (as long as cost is comparable between WSU and UF, like you said). Washington and Florida have very different climates. If you know you won't like one of them and you think you might like the other, even if you haven't lived there, you should probably go with the one you think you'll like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi current Cornell student here. While cost is definitely important to consider, do not discount scholarships! Cornell gives out a ton of scholarships that will reduce the overall cost of tuition and has a ton of financial resources to help!
 
I agree with everyone here who has mentioned cost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both WSU and Ohio State allow you to become an in-state resident after your first year which will dramatically decrease tuition. Because of that alone, those two would be at the top of my list. I would not choose to attend CSU or Cornell at this point in time especially with the BBB and potential of having to take out private loans. If you are concerned about facilities, I do know Ohio State has a beautiful hospital and academic building.
(FWIW, I attend a school which has been repeatedly criticized online for having dated facilities, and I do not feel that this will have any impact on me being a good veterinarian. I personally don't think facilities are enough of a deciding factor to turn down the possibility of IS tuition).
 
I agree with everyone here who has mentioned cost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both WSU and Ohio State allow you to become an in-state resident after your first year which will dramatically decrease tuition. Because of that alone, those two would be at the top of my list. I would not choose to attend CSU or Cornell at this point in time especially with the BBB and potential of having to take out private loans. If you are concerned about facilities, I do know Ohio State has a beautiful hospital and academic building.
Ohio automatically switches you to IS tuition after year 1 (no requirement to prove residency in any way) and is pretty good about giving scholarships BUT first year OOS is insanely expensive (like $80k). this was balanced out for me by the lower cost in the next years, but with the BBB now restricting you to $50k/year (iirc), i imagine it will be challenging to fund first year even though the overall cost isn’t that unreasonable.
 
Can confirm WSU offers in-state tuition after your first year. It is pretty easy to qualify...need to be domiciled for 12 months with updated WA driver's license and registration and you are allowed sojourns home on breaks etc. You just have to submit an application after your first year with required documents. There is a scholarship application they offer annually including for incoming first years. I'm unsure how rates (best to contact financial aid) are changing but OOS rates for VM1 also tend to be very high and loan situation of course now complicates that. As far as facilities go, WSU is an older school but haven't found infrastructure to be an issue as a first year (if anything the bigger issue has been our class size...we are largest they have ever had so fitting us into lecture halls has been bit difficult). In fact, our clinical simulation lab was recently updated in the last year or two...it's open to all students with peer instructors and we get principles of surgery course as early as first semester (i.e., learn how to scrub in, suture patterns, etc.) which is not the case at every university. VTH is pretty accommodating too with opportunity to shadow across most if not all departments and paid time-slip positions for some. We have wildlife rehabilitation center, variety of clubs/outreach activities, etc. Just my two cents but I do feel lot of vet school is what you make out of it at the end of the day...at the same time, don't feel the need to have to do what everyone else is doing either (fomo and imposter syndrome are real but your mental health and wellbeing also are just as real 🙂

Feel free to dm me if you have any questions! Best of luck on your decision and again congrats! 🙂