This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morfeas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently passed the BSCE and studying for the NAVLE now. Here are a few things I did.
- I used zuku review
- Firstly watched the videos in HOW TO TAKE THE TEST. You have to be a good test taker and have a method that helps you go through the questions without wasting time.I believe the advice given on a couple of videos in Zuku is very helpful
- Went through the practice questions first.
- Watched all the video lectures and made my OWN NOTES from the lectures.
- As I was doing the practice questions I was reviewing my notes from the vídeos.
- I studied the Zuku review notes
- I strongly recommend "Duncan and Prasse´s Clinical Pathology" as a book to have by your side during your studying.(Many images and info seemed exactly as in BSCE)
- I recommend "Muir handbook of veterinary anesthesia"
- I recommend "Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary" (Especially for those that are not familiar with latin terminology)
- I recommend "Plumbs veterinary Drug Handbook"
- Initially, I started by opening Textbooks (like Ettinger) but after a week I abandoned this study method.
- I used a LOT the Merck Manual instead of textbooks. It is easy, exact and on my opinion, you need no more than that and the books I mentioned above.
- Used images, graphs and vídeos I found on line mainly for: Exognostic terminology (anatomical parts), Imagiology, Reproductive cycles, Surgical Instruments/Sutures
- Used notes from my university lectures
- I finished all the practice questions and the did all the questions divided by area in timed mode.
- Finally i did all the questions in timed test mode (shuffled) in blocks of 4 (240 qsts) without breaks.
- I reviewed all questions and notes at least twice.
- By the time I was tested my average score at timed shuffled mode was around 85-90%%
- I focused on the areas I was not scoring high
- I found that toxicology and pharmacology are the most difficult to get into
- I tried to adapt my body to a 4 hour test non stop. (hunger, thirst)
-DURING the TEST: 1) I read only the question first. (skip superfluous info and go to the last sentence where it asks exactly what he wants) 2) DONt look the answers, but think of the correct answer on your own first. 3) Look at the answer and click it right away if it is what you thought. 4) If you dont know eliminate by right clicking (it strikes out the option) the obvious wrong ones. 5) choose from the remaining the one that firstly seems correct. 6) DO NOT change your answers often.
- I studied 2 1/2 months daily between 3 and 12 hours per day.
- Always started a study session with questions. (or video lectures in the beginning)

Last tips:
-This is not a crazy test. It is very difficult though.
-I left the testing center with a sorrow filling that I have failed. Do NOT expect the same exact questions you found on Zuku. The subjects are there though. For example: Zuku gives you questions on cat behavior only : Go and study dog behavior too!
- Use critical thinking to eliminate wrong options
- Be prepared to encounter questions that you have no idea about
- Don t stop on one question a lot of time. Eliminate wrong options , choose the most probable and go on.
- Do NOT expect Cats and Dogs only. This is a test that spreads equally (at least it seemed to me) to all species.
- Know your MNEMONICS (for cranial nerves, hypersensitivities etc etc)

Study hard and don't give up. Luck is the least you need on your side.

Best success to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations . So when you exactly took the test(month), how long it took to get the results? How long ago you graduated from vet.school?

Congratulations . So when you exactly took the test(month), how long it took to get the results? How long ago you graduated from vet.school?
Thanks.
I took the test on december 15th and got my results on the 22nd.
I just got out of vet school.
I have already applied and got accepted for the NAVLE. (process depends on the state you want to work)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank for your answer, how the ECFVG contacted you to let you know that you passed? As well from which country you graduated?

Thank for your answer, how the ECFVG contacted you to let you know that you passed? As well from which country you graduated?
I graduated from Portugal and I received an email notification. On the same day my ECFVG page was updated with the relevant info.

You mentioned that you watched a video first ,you talking about the video how to prep. for the NAVLE ?
quote: - Firstly watched the videos in HOW TO TAKE THE TEST. You have to be a good test taker and have a method that helps you go through the questions without wasting time.I believe the advice given on a couple of videos in Zuku is very helpful

Thanks.
I took the test on december 15th and got my results on the 22nd.
I just got out of vet school.
I have already applied and got accepted for the NAVLE. (process depends on the state you want to work)
Congratulations on passing the BCSE! I read you are going to take the NAVLE next, does that mean you dont have to do the CPE part of the process?

Congratulations on passing the BCSE! I read you are going to take the NAVLE next, does that mean you dont have to do the CPE part of the process?
Thanks!
The ICVA requires only the BSCE (ECFVG step 3) in order to let you sit for the NAVLE. Also depends on the state from which you want to get your license from. But usually the passing score for BSCE is enough (for the NAVLE) . However, I will have to eventually take the CPE in order to get my license from NY. I could have chosen to go for the CPE first but since the NAVLE will prepare me theoretically, I thought to take it before the CPE. I followed the example of other people that did that and had success.

You mentioned that you watched a video first ,you talking about the video how to prep. for the NAVLE ?
quote: - Firstly watched the videos in HOW TO TAKE THE TEST. You have to be a good test taker and have a method that helps you go through the questions without wasting time.I believe the advice given on a couple of videos in Zuku is very helpful
Yes that is the video.
It applies very well for the BSCE too.

What are the books you used for bsce? Thank you! I’m planning to take the exam soon

Thanks!
The ICVA requires only the BSCE (ECFVG step 3) in order to let you sit for the NAVLE. Also depends on the state from which you want to get your license from. But usually the passing score for BSCE is enough (for the NAVLE) . However, I will have to eventually take the CPE in order to get my license from NY. I could have chosen to go for the CPE first but since the NAVLE will prepare me theoretically, I thought to take it before the CPE. I followed the example of other people that did that and had success.
Great advice, thank you. Very much appreciated.

What are the books you used for bsce? Thank you! I’m planning to take the exam soon
I used :
- Duncan and Prasses Clinical Pathology
- Merck on line veterinary manual connected directly from Zuku
- Plumbs Drug Handbook
- Muir s Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia
- Saunders Veterinary Dictionary (if you need helo in terminology)
- I used to study from "Ettinger 2017 edition". For some subjects, on my opinion is more useful to read a 3 page "complete story" about a disease than a few pinpointed general or specific ideas on it written on a table or one paragraph. It sticks with you better. However I don t suggest that you use always a big textbook for the BSCE. If you have substantial theoretical "holes" in a subject, then i recommend answering those through Ettinger than from any "Consult" book.
- Check all video lectures from Zuku.
- Check the Review notes from Zuku.
- Repeat, Repeat , Repeat the questions.

Good luck!

If you can share with us kindly what is the passing score for BCSE?Do they tell you your score after the exam ?

If you can share with us kindly what is the passing score for BCSE?Do they tell you your score after the exam ?
No, they do not tell you if you pass it.
I was studying for an objective of 75% of the questions.
On the site it says that if you dont pass they give information on the areas that you need to work on for the next time.

Congratulations!!!
I'm preparing for the test too, try really hard too finish all the text book that they recommended on the website and found out it is impossible lol. Your advise is a big help. Thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 users