BSN to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So has anywhere hear actually gone straight from a BSN to MD/DO without taking a few years off for work in between? And if so, how did the ad coms seem to react to your undergrad degree? Give you alot of flack for already being in a healthcare field and applying? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

I did it. So i don't think its an issue. I only worked as a nurse before starting med.school. It won't be an issue so long as you fulfill the pre-med. requirements.

HEY WSU, can you give me your email address? PMED to me or email me at [email protected] Also, did yo go MD or DO?

Eduardo

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering np and md. I want to have time for a family. I am familiar with nursing since my mom is an rn. my question is for those nurses who are going to pursue md/do and not np. what were your reasons? is it because in medicine there are more complex cases and more autonomy (not a dependent role like np). how much do np make in calif? thanks!

I keep hearing "time for a family" as reason to pursue one profession over another. Do you mean start a family while in school? B/c if you mean after school it doesn't matter what your degree is. The only thing that matters is how much you want to work. I know a FP (MD) who has 4 kids. He has been out of school 6 years and works 4 days per week 9-5. He uses a call service PA's and NP's for night and weekend calls. On the other side; I know a NP who works about 70 hours per week and complains that he always has to take call for the MD he works with. It's not the degree but the capacity in which you choose to work in.