BU 2014? Housing? Neighborhoods?

Started by G00se
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

G00se

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey anybody else attending BU this summer? I don't know anything about Boston - advice on housing options? grad student friendly neighborhoods?
 
Hey, I'm currently a senior at BU, but going elsewhere for grad school. I do know a lot of grad students in the pt program and undergrads who live off campus- i would say a good majority of them live in Allston (just up the road from BU and very easily accessible by T or bus.) A lot of students also live in Brookline which includes some side streets off of Comm Ave (I don't know if you have visited, but Commonwealth Ave. is the street that BU is stretched out across).

Some people (very few) also move down town- but that can definitely get pretty pricey and its a much longer commute. I would definitely try craigslist if you don't have time to come up to visit and look for apartments- this is the time when graduating seniors and grad students tend to start looking to fill empty spots in their apartments. If you have any more questions let me know!
 
I lived in the Boston area for several years, working at MIT, and then Harvard. The area is so compact that you can easily live in Allston, Brighton, Boston proper, Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc.. With the T (subway) you're not going to have a long commute even if you live in Cambridge or Somerville. Somerville is going to be a cheaper option, although no place in the Boston area is truly inexpensive, unless you're used to NYC or San Francisco. I just prefer living in Somerville/Cambridge so if I end up going to school there that's probably where I would live.