BU and Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladoo007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received interview invitations from both of these schools but recently got my first acceptance (Pittsburgh) and so now am trying to decide if I should still go to these interviews or withdraw... what do you think? Is there anything particularly alluring about BU and/or Tufts that Pittsburgh doesn't offer? Do either of these schools offer any merit scholarships?

I know the one advantage that both of these schools may have over Pittsburgh is location (Boston seems like it would be more fun than Pittsburgh) but other than that I loved U Pitt when I visited it so I was leaning more on the withdraw side... just wanted others' opinions though before going through with it!

Members don't see this ad.

just interviewed @ BU. the school's actual facilities seem like nothing special but the city of boston (minus the cold weather) is especially appealing. lots of college students and young professionals. if you're into big city life and young people, seems like a fantastic place to earn your MD.

if you can afford the ticket and you have the time, you should check out the schools for yourself. you might find something about the schools you really like.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can afford the ticket and you have the time, you should check out the schools for yourself. you might find something about the schools you really like.

I'll agree, you do not know until you go.

I would go to check out Boston, but like others have said, if you can afford to.

I just went to visit Tufts - there's nothing extra spectacular about the school that would compel me to go...they did just get a 15 million dollar donation though so the med school facilities are going to be revamped. BUT...I really loved Boston as a city when I went to check it out. It is a great place to be studying medicine as well, there are tons of great hospitals to be rotating through. There's not one BIG hospital (I guess MGH sort of...) so you get to rotate through a lot of different hospitals if you wanted to, which I believe is beneficial because you get to see a lot of different styles of medicine. The city itself is great for students, and good for lots of non-medicine related activities. That for me is a big factor cos I wouldn't want my life to just revolve around the school...it'd be great to be able to go out and check out museums and symphonies, etc - and not just hit up the local bars when I get some free time. Travel was also a big issue for me...I don't know about you guys, but I'm from the West coast, so it's a big bonus that I can get to Boston via many major airlines, and non-stop flights as well. That and there's easy public transportation to and from the airport (and around the city...eliminating the need for a car).

That being said, I loved UPMC when I visited...I think it's a great school. But I would definitely pick Boston over Pittsburgh location-wise.

correct me if i'm wrong, isn't UPitt in um, . . . . Pittsburgh??

If you have the money then go, otherwise UPitt is a far superior school according to med school friends. I heard the relationship between faculty and students and among students is not great at Tufts. Boston is a cooler city than Pittsburgh, however.

If you have the money then go, otherwise UPitt is a far superior school according to med school friends. I heard the relationship between faculty and students and among students is not great at Tufts. Boston is a cooler city than Pittsburgh, however.

I honestly think that you're confusing Tufts with BU. I'm at Tufts med now and the faculty here has been incredibly supportive-- I became sick during my first year and needed to take a leave of absence; the faculty was unbelievably caring and understanding regarding my situation. The professors both during the pre-clinical and clinical years tend to be very concerned about the student's education, and more than once have gone out of their way to make sure that I have been learning even more than I should have for a first year. Overall, Tufts has been a really great experience.

Whether or not the OP is goes to her Boston interviews really depends on money issues. First of all, what does the financial aid look like at Pittsburgh? Is the package any good? Because chances are at Tufts and BU, you're not going to get too much financial aid. Also, is location a big factor for you? If you think that you'll be happy at Pittsburgh and don't think you're going to be saying, "damn, I wish I had gone to my Boston interviews last year" during your first year, then by all means, save your money for med school.