UMass v Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

silversonder

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I am so conflicted. I would really appreciate some advice on deciding between these two schools and understanding what factors to take into consideration.

I don't have the financial information from either school yet and I think I'll hold my final decision until I get that. I am interested in OB/Gyn or Family Med and I am hoping to eventually stay/match in the Northeast (hopefully in Boston). I am on one waitlist at Brown but I have no idea if/how that will factor into my decision.

UMass

Pros:
- In-state tuition
- Lower COL
- PURCH program (I'm really interested in pop health plus I've heard good things about Baystate as a teaching hospital and I'd do all my core clerkships there)
- Community feel (houses, etc) and students seem genuinely really happy
- P/F, lectures not mandatory
- WIN weeks!!

Cons
- Worcester (not really vibing with the city/not a lot to do)
- Will have to move to Springfield during M2 (more remote/even less of a city feel) - because of PURCH
- Need to get a car in MS1 and drive to Springfield weekly (1 hour drive) - because of PURCH

Tufts

Pros
- Boston (medical/healthcare hub in terms of opportunities)
- Closer to family and friends - I went to undergrad in Boston so I know the area and really like it
- P/F, lectures no mandatory
- High clinical reputation according to the students/faculty
- Programs of interest (Health Justice Scholars, Global Health Programs)
- Layman's prestige?? Not sure that this is really something to consider but idk

Cons
- High tuition (at second look the students said that they plan to use the PSLF to pay off their loans and not be too concerned about tuition but I don't know too much about that)
- High COL
- Will have to travel around for clinical rotations/get a car at that point

Overall, I think I am conflicted because both schools seem like a great fit for me and I want to make the right choice. I have my hangups about the location of UMass but I don't know how much of a factor that should be in my decision especially because I think the PURCH program is a great opportunity.
 
Not understanding the recent dislike towards UMass on these forums but I have never been to Worcester so can't say anything about that lol.

UMass is higher ranked, not just in research but also primary care so for OB-GYN and Family Med, this would be a perfect combination. In terms of medical prestige (and maybe even layman), it beats out Tufts and is cheaper in your case. Take the lower COL and enjoy a slow life with weekend trips to Boston 🙂)