**BU c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joz

Superfan
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few attendance threads started within the past few days and I thought it would be cool to get one going just for BU's class of 2010. It was my first choice and I'm really looking forward to starting this summer. So who's with me? Get at me terriers. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Joz said:
I've seen a few attendance threads started within the past few days and I thought it would be cool to get one going just for BU's class of 2010. It was my first choice and I'm really looking forward to starting this summer. So who's with me? Get at me terriers. :thumbup:
My first choice also!!! I'll be there for Class of 2010....anyone else? :)

Do you guys know how many acceptences BU has give out so far? My interview is this friday so I just wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be.
monstermouth said:
My first choice also!!! I'll be there for Class of 2010....anyone else? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
can you guys tell me why BU is your number 1 choice? i'm trying to decide whether to attend or not right now...need some input. thanks a lot.

kshah13 said:
Do you guys know how many acceptences BU has give out so far? My interview is this friday so I just wanted to get an idea of what my chances would be.

I'm not really sure on that one. You could try calling up and asking how many seats have been filled, but I'd just relax and prepare for the interview. I'd say you still have a good chance at this point. Good luck.

DUBS said:
can you guys tell me why BU is your number 1 choice? i'm trying to decide whether to attend or not right now...need some input. thanks a lot.

I really liked BU when I visited for my interview. The students that I spoke with seemed to be enjoying their time there and had positive things to say about the faculty and curriculum. I thought the place just had a good vibe. I'm also from the area, so geographically, it's not that big of a transition, which is pretty important to me.

Congrats you guys!

You guys are making a really good choice..I'm so glad I decided to come here.
In the end, I feel all the dental schools end up being the same since u all get a DMD or a DDS. Its all about how much effort you put into it. The cost is definitely a lot but you just have to deal with it, unless you have another choice.
But i'm definitely glad i'm here and look fwd to seeing y'all next year! First year is kicking my butt but I guess thats what I'm here for!
Let me know if you have q's.
GOOD LUCK!

Ind201 said:
Congrats you guys!

You guys are making a really good choice..I'm so glad I decided to come here.
In the end, I feel all the dental schools end up being the same since u all get a DMD or a DDS. Its all about how much effort you put into it. The cost is definitely a lot but you just have to deal with it, unless you have another choice.
But i'm definitely glad i'm here and look fwd to seeing y'all next year! First year is kicking my butt but I guess thats what I'm here for!
Let me know if you have q's.
GOOD LUCK!

thanks for the positive feedback. i actually wanted to know something...i'm trying to make a decision between tufts and bu and i just wanted your input in the matter. the thing is, i was impressed by both schools (i.e. the facilities, faculty, student body, and location) but i don't think a couple hours of touring each school made a significant impact on my decision for either school. can you please tell me the best thing you like about BU and the worst? any other suggestions would really be appreciated...thanks a lot.

Ind201 said:
First year is kicking my butt but I guess thats what I'm here for!

I will be bending over tomorrow and Friday...physio and dental anatomy are about to take me down.

DUBS, so far, I have yet to come across something that I dislike about the school. The stuff I dont like has nothing to do with BU. For instance, the workload is a lot...that goes for all schools. The weather is cold. I dont like cold weather. Those are my 2 gripes. Other than that, everything is smooth. If you are ever in the area, contact me or another BU student, drop by the school, sit in on some classes, etc... That may help you get a better feel for the school. If you arent in the area, then hopefully more people will give you some feedback to allow you to come to a conclusion.

I must've been in Italy when this thread came up. What's up fellow terriers? Anyone have any idea of where you want to live?

I'll be at BU too! Does anyone have any clue what the match results / board scores were this past round?

I just had my interview and i really like BU too. If i get in the only thing that would keep me from going there is the cost. The sheet they gave me said 300000. Thats so much debt i cant even comprehend it. That with a couple hundred thousand for buying/starting a practice, I dont know if id ever get out of debt.

Well you have to understand that on that sheet they give you, they include over 21 grand on health insurance, room/board, personal expenses, and transportation. All of these things are up to you to control in a way, but the school itself will cost you around 55k a year. I mean you're definitely going to have spend on all that stuff but if you are smart about it you could probably save in that area and probably come out around 280 g's in debt. I wouldn't worry too much about paying that off. Then again, it depends on your situation, if you are going to be in your 30's with kids by the time you graduate you might not want to take on that debt. However, if you are in your early/mid 20's it shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU is an awesome school, they accepted me on the 26th via AADSAS and now I'm just waiting for that package from them (I live in Canada). So once I get that and iron out the details, I'm pretty sure I will be joining you guys at BU for fall 2006. Can't wait!

i'm really happy that i got accepted to BU because it is my first choice.
Is anyone thinking about the excel program? Is housing a problem? because it is for me...
Looking forward to meet all of you in Aug. :)

I'm looking into doing the excel program. As for my living situation, I still really have no clue about what I want to do yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
beredsox2 said:
I'm looking into doing the excel program. As for my living situation, I still really have no clue about what I want to do yet. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to live in the dorms during excel, then search for a place while you are in the dorms.

Living in the dorm is awesome because you become tight with about 25 kids that are living there with you. Some of my best friends at school here are the ones that lived with me in the dorm.

Also, if you are looking for a roommate, the excel program is good because you can easily hook up with one of your classmates. Many of the kids in that program ended up living with each other.

Hi, I will be attending BU this fall! I'm from Florida. I'm looking forward to meeting my future classmates :)

Congrats sweettooth. Get ready for some snow....my friends back home got buried yesterday. Are you thinking about doing excel?

smilez said:
I'll be there in the fall too!! Has anyone started the housing search? And, I'm from Florida, anyone else from Fl joining me?
I'll see everyone in August :)

Hi, what part of FL are you from?

beredsox2 said:
Congrats sweettooth. Get ready for some snow....my friends back home got buried yesterday. Are you thinking about doing excel?

Thanks, congrats to you too! Yea I heard about the blizzard, it's crazy.. and I've never lived in snow so that should be interesting. I'm probably not going to do excel b/c I'm going to be attending my cousin's wedding.. what about you?

I think Im going to be at BU this fall...Has anyone thought about housing options?

Anyone going to BU from Southern California?

Just wanted to pass along some info that I heard.

The average DAT for accepted students thus far is around a 21. Of course, many of the kids with 23+ will not be coming here, but pretty high average, nonetheless.

Rezdawg said:
Just wanted to pass along some info that I heard.

The average DAT for accepted students thus far is around a 21. Of course, many of the kids with 23+ will not be coming here, but pretty high average, nonetheless.

are you freakin kidding me!

I would like to know when the excel program begins? Anyone from NYC? ;)

mid9blu said:
I would like to know when the excel program begins? Anyone from NYC? ;)

I think it starts in early July. We'll find out when they send us all the info in May. As of right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.

beredsox2 said:
I think it starts in early July. We'll find out when they send us all the info in May. As of right now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.

EXCEL starts in early July, for me it started the day after Independence Day, and im sure they will do the same this year. I suggest taking part in EXCEL it is a great opportunity to get to meet future classmates, and spend time in the city. They plan a few events during EXCEL for the class as a whole to go out and do some things in the city (for example: see a musical, dinner, duck tours, scavenger hunt, etc). My roomate (whom I live with now), I met the first day of EXCEL. It's worked out great! It's a great opportunity. I'll be around this summer, I'm doing my APEX here in Boston, so if you have any questions or need any help, let me know.

Guys,

I just came back from my regional interview for BU (in Toronto). I just get an excellent vibe from the program. I love the idea of APEX and how I could spend two 12 week terms in my hometown of Toronto. That really really appeals to me. BU seems pretty good clinically and they got excellent reviews when they went up for accredidation again. I really think that I'd be happier at BU than at Penn. I didn't like Philly at all but I fell in love with Boston.

Dr. Stout told me that BU has a massive Sim lab. Are these sim units at the same level of sophistication of the Sim units at Penn that they speak so highly of? Another questions, does BU offer any scholarships? I doubt they do.. :(

Dr. Stout was a really really nice guy. I sat down and he told me that in 4 years of being involved in interviewing and admissions, my essay was the best he's ever read. That's really an honor. He also said that they'd love to have me. He knew that I had a deposit at Penn.

The thing is, I think Penn has a really good program but I actually think BUs program is more my style. It seems more laid back, friendly, high tech, and I'm really impressed by APEX. I also love Boston. I think that I could really excel at BU which would still give me a chance to specialize.

The reasons I would, at this point pick Penn, I think would be wrong. I'd pick it because it has a better reputation, better specialization rate, I already have a deposit down, etc. I know Penn is a good school but I dunno, something about BUs program just speaks to me.

Every single time in my academic career, I've chosen the more "prestigious" road. I picked my undergrad because it was the best, I chose my original major because it was highly competitive and one of the elite programs, etc . I then decided that I picked the major for the wrong reasons and I wasn't all that interested in molecular genetics and all that lab work.

So what should I do? Go down the same path..pick the more prestigious school so i can say I went to an Ivy or do I do what I feel in my heart?

Penn might have a better overall program than BU...it probably provides a lot of great opportunities and opens a lot of doors. But I just feel like I'd be happier in Boston and at BU.

Mind you, I actually haven't seen BU. I'm basing this on what I've seen online, what student have said, and how their program is structured. Maybe I should visit Boston again.

Finally, in all reality, I won't be going to an American school. I'll probably end up at a Canadian one, although Canadian admissions is highly competitive and nothing at all is a sure bet. Should I just stop wasting money (i.e. losing Penn's deposit and putting down 2 grand on BU) and just keep my spot at Penn in my back pocket and focus on Canadian admissions? This is what I think the smart move would be. It's just so hard not to get excited when you hear about all these schools and their programs. After going to BUs interview and learning more about the school, I honestly don't think there are any bad dental schools. You just need to find the school that's good for you. Honestly, I think everyone should forget what other people say and just go where they think will fit them best. So I guess maybe I answered my own question :D

Audio said:
Guys,

I just came back from my regional interview for BU (in Toronto). I just get an excellent vibe from the program. I love the idea of APEX and how I could spend two 12 week terms in my hometown of Toronto. That really really appeals to me. BU seems pretty good clinically and they got excellent reviews when they went up for accredidation again. I really think that I'd be happier at BU than at Penn. I didn't like Philly at all but I fell in love with Boston.

Dr. Stout told me that BU has a massive Sim lab. Are these sim units at the same level of sophistication of the Sim units at Penn that they speak so highly of? Another questions, does BU offer any scholarships? I doubt they do.. :(

Dr. Stout was a really really nice guy. I sat down and he told me that in 4 years of being involved in interviewing and admissions, my essay was the best he's ever read. That's really an honor. He also said that they'd love to have me. He knew that I had a deposit at Penn.

The thing is, I think Penn has a really good program but I actually think BUs program is more my style. It seems more laid back, friendly, high tech, and I'm really impressed by APEX. I also love Boston. I think that I could really excel at BU which would still give me a chance to specialize.

The reasons I would, at this point pick Penn, I think would be wrong. I'd pick it because it has a better reputation, better specialization rate, I already have a deposit down, etc. I know Penn is a good school but I dunno, something about BUs program just speaks to me.

Every single time in my academic career, I've chosen the more "prestigious" road. I picked my undergrad because it was the best, I chose my original major because it was highly competitive and one of the elite programs, etc . I then decided that I picked the major for the wrong reasons and I wasn't all that interested in molecular genetics and all that lab work.

So what should I do? Go down the same path..pick the more prestigious school so i can say I went to an Ivy or do I do what I feel in my heart?

Penn might have a better overall program than BU...it probably provides a lot of great opportunities and opens a lot of doors. But I just feel like I'd be happier in Boston and at BU.

Mind you, I actually haven't seen BU. I'm basing this on what I've seen online, what student have said, and how their program is structured. Maybe I should visit Boston again.

Finally, in all reality, I won't be going to an American school. I'll probably end up at a Canadian one, although Canadian admissions is highly competitive and nothing at all is a sure bet. Should I just stop wasting money (i.e. losing Penn's deposit and putting down 2 grand on BU) and just keep my spot at Penn in my back pocket and focus on Canadian admissions? This is what I think the smart move would be. It's just so hard not to get excited when you hear about all these schools and their programs. After going to BUs interview and learning more about the school, I honestly don't think there are any bad dental schools. You just need to find the school that's good for you. Honestly, I think everyone should forget what other people say and just go where they think will fit them best. So I guess maybe I answered my own question :D

Deep thinking going on here! Wait till you get the acceptance, then ask Mr. owl "how many licks does it take to get to the center of totsi pop.

Audio said:
After going to BUs interview and learning more about the school, I honestly don't think there are any bad dental schools. You just need to find the school that's good for you. Honestly, I think everyone should forget what other people say and just go where they think will fit them best. So I guess maybe I answered my own question :D

Audio, I couldn't have said it any better myself. Unless you get into Harvard or a very cheap public school, you are best off at a place where you can have a great 4 years rather than be miserable somewhere just for its name. The only name that matters is your own.

I think you'll be happy with either school. Both schools are great. I look foward to attending BU. While, Penn seemed like a great school I wasent impressed with their classrooms. Good Luck~!