BU MAMS vs Rutgers MBS vs Drexel MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futdoc23

Reaction score
Hi. I was accepted into Boston University MAMs and Rutgers Newark MBS and I would appreciate peoples' opinion on which they would choose. I have listed out some of the pros and cons of selecting one over the other.

BU MAMS is one of the oldest and most established special master programs. Performing well here would look better to other med schools than performing well at Rutgers. There website reports that 85% of students who average a 3.6 GPA matriculate into a medical school. Some of the cons in selecting BU is that they do not offer a guaranteed interview like Rutgers does and I also keep hearing that the course work is especially challenging.

Rutgers guarantees an interview to students who score a 3.6 GPA and a MCAT score of at least 127 on each section, which is still a pretty high score and not one that I can guarantee I can get. The class size is smaller than BU(70-80 students at Rutgers vs 170 students at BU). Some of the cons in selecting this problem would be that it does not have the reputation that BU does and so other schools will not view success here in the same way that they will success at BU. I am not sure how the difficulty of this program would compare to BU MAMS.

Which would you chose?

* Edit :I want to add that was just recently accepted into Drexel's MBS program as well so I am now considering this program as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are you instate for NJ? I am at Rutgers rn finishing up senior year and can tell you, I’ve heard very mixed reviews about the Newark program. Most people either really love it or really hate it. I’ve met with Dr. Blackwell (RU Newark MBS director) on several occasions though and she is an absolute pleasure; seriously, the only reason I’m still considering it is bc of her as a person.

Feel free to PM and I can send you screenshots from when I talked to my friend who graduated from the MBS program :)

I would seriously consider applying to other SMPs— the school name is worthless if it does not help you achieve your goals, and there are rumors on SDN about BU auto-rejecting even their own SMP students who had

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey, congrats to you soon-to-be graduate! I would love some information about this program. I aspire to find a program that can be comprehensive and challenge me to show ability to take med schools curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you instate for NJ? I am at Rutgers rn finishing up senior year and can tell you, I’ve heard very mixed reviews about the Newark program. Most people either really love it or really hate it. I’ve met with Dr. Blackwell (RU Newark MBS director) on several occasions though and she is an absolute pleasure; seriously, the only reason I’m still considering it is bc of her as a person.

Feel free to PM and I can send you screenshots from when I talked to my friend who graduated from the MBS program :)

I would seriously consider applying to other SMPs— the school name is worthless if it does not help you achieve your goals, and there are rumors on SDN about BU auto-rejecting even their own SMP students who had

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello, Can you give us some more info on teh pros/cons of both programs? Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely suggest BU MAMS out of all the programs. If you have any questions, lmk :)

Reactions: 1 user