BU vs. Jefferson vs. Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tova

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can you help me make a decision between BU, Jeff, and Downstate, aside from $. How big is the difference in reputation between these schools? What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I would always consider money. A close friend of mine is at Jeff now and loves it. It's a great area, center city, best part of Philly. Jefferson, at least in the Philly area, is viewed very well. If money is not a factor, I'd choose Jeff. If it is, I'd go with your state school.

I would chose BU if I were you. I know it's pricey, but you'll be living in one of America's best cities, and they have loads of opportunities/resources at BU. I went to undergrad there, but got rejected from the med school. However, I got into downstate and Jeff...not sure if that says anything. Anyways, best of luck and let me know if you have any questions about Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the reps are close to equal. I liked Jeff's block curriculum where you take one course at a time. I would choose BU for the chance to live in Boston. I would choose Downstate to save myself $100,000.

:)

I would choose BU for it's location and clinical facilities.

Im in at Downstate and Jeff and am choosing Jeff without a second's thought. Its a really great place and in such an amazing part of Philly. As opposed to the part of Brooklyn Downstate is in...

Also, I just think its a better school for someone who is not a NY resident and wont benefit from Downstate's tuition.

I actually like East Flatbush. It is a mile from the million dollar homes in Heights, the charming Park Slope and two miles from Wall Street. Brooklyn isn't for the light of heart, or for the "tourist" medical student who can't handle the environment. But that being said it is a great place that is only going to get better in the next decade.

Do you think the reputation at these schools matter? For those of you who visited BU, did you find the students happy? When I went there twice, the students didn't seem so happy. They seem to feel they are in class too much. But I am confused as to where to go because everyone keeps saying BU has a better reputation. Re-Jefferson, if you look at the match lists, does Jeff really seem to be better than Downstate? I don't know. . .what do you think? Also, the patient population at Jeff and Downstate are very different. Do you think Jeff has better teaching but Downstate has more pathology? which one is better in the end? Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

BU has good and bad things about it. I have a couple of friends at BU and the chief complaint is the amount of class time, not to mention, cost of living in Boston is crazy if you can't afford it. I have lived in the Boston area for almost four years now. I do like it here. It's not NYC, but it's a great town, but to me, BU is a solid school with some faults like the amount of course time and the fact that many students in your class will have a jump start on you. They were in a masters program that permitted them to take some of their classes already, so they are taking less course work, but are still being graded against you. So, they have more time to study for fewer classes. That's not fair. BU is known for their clinical years, but they are strong in comparison to rural schools like Dartmouth. But in comparison to Jefferson and downstate, what's the diff? Jefferson is a place where you'll see plenty of stuff. Philly is a tough town. But Jefferson is in the best location in Philly.

I didn't apply to downstate, but I'm guessing that the tuition there is much less. Also, I have heard good things about their program. Of the three, I really like Jefferson. Good luck

I also think the reputation amongst the three is about the same. My father used to teach at Jeff and he says it's a very good program. It was one of the schools that I had strongly considered.

LP1CW said:
BU BU is a solid school with some faults like the amount of course time and the fact that many students in your class will have a jump start on you. They were in a masters program that permitted them to take some of their classes already, so they are taking less course work, but are still being graded against you. So, they have more time to study for fewer classes. That's not fair.

This is an acknowledged problem at BU. Because of this they have gone to strictly P/F grading for the first year. There is no honors/pass/fail it is just pass/fail.

I think there is really only one major concern here, where would you like to practice???? reputation wise i don't think there's any appreciable difference between the 3. all 3 probably have great clinical exposure. the only factor is if you see yourself in NY, then DS might give you a little boost w/ NY PD's. If you're into beantown, try BU, same for jeff.

Thanks guys. I'm wondering whether you think Jefferson has a better reputation than Downstate. Otherwise, maybe I should stay in NYC if I don't go to Boston. The other thing, though, is that Downstate has a grading system. What do you guys think of going to a school that has a grading system?

bump--what do you guys think of having a grading system?

Maybe you can check my posting about May15 since I also have a dilemma. Anyways... I had a horrible experience at Jeff and withdrew my app after the interview. That part of Philly is expensive!! The school really seemed like an Old BOys CLub . Jeff is not that good a school it just prides itself on the old tradition. But there are better schools with happier students and I bet BU is one of them. (Jeff made me pay 15.75 to park in their lot for my interview... everyother school waives parking fees for its visitors and they were arrogant and mean about it)

kyauna80 said:
Maybe you can check my posting about May15 since I also have a dilemma. Anyways... I had a horrible experience at Jeff and withdrew my app after the interview. That part of Philly is expensive!! The school really seemed like an Old BOys CLub . Jeff is not that good a school it just prides itself on the old tradition. But there are better schools with happier students and I bet BU is one of them. (Jeff made me pay 15.75 to park in their lot for my interview... everyother school waives parking fees for its visitors and they were arrogant and mean about it)

LOL, you gotta pay to park at BU.

kyauna80 said:

guess everyone has a different take on schools. I didn't feel like Jeff was an old boys club at all . . . doesn't make sense consider their dean of students is a woman (as well as the dean of admissions). I loved Jeff and will be starting there in the fall, but to each his own.

LP1CW said:
I also think the reputation amongst the three is about the same. My father used to teach at Jeff and he says it's a very good program. It was one of the schools that I had strongly considered.
agreed. i think the reputation among the three is almost negligible