Program-Specific Info / Q's BU VS Tuft OTD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123456OT

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been accepted to the OTD programs at both Boston University (BU) and Tufts.

I was wondering if anyone (current students or otherwise) could offer any opinions/advice on how to choose which program to attend? Cost would be about the same for both regarding scholarships, etc. A few points I have noticed already from some discussions:

For BU: lack in facilities, curriculum without specific courses related to age/conditions, etc--do students feel prepared when becoming a clinician, and less cohesive & cooperative cohort? Any thoughts or corrections on these?

For Tufts: Outside of the city, less collaboration amongst other health professionals, FW I is less in-person (less direct exposure to various settings), summers are in person (less flexibility for part-time work, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I have been accepted to the OTD programs at both Boston University (BU) and Tufts.

I was wondering if anyone (current students or otherwise) could offer any opinions/advice on how to choose which program to attend? Cost would be about the same for both regarding scholarships, etc. A few points I have noticed already from some discussions:

For BU: lack in facilities, curriculum without specific courses related to age/conditions, etc--do students feel prepared when becoming a clinician, and less cohesive & cooperative cohort? Any thoughts or corrections on these?

For Tufts: Outside of the city, less collaboration amongst other health professionals, FW I is less in-person (less direct exposure to various settings), summers are in person (less flexibility for part-time work, etc).

Congrats on your acceptances! I just saw this post - I’ve submitted my deposit to BU and I know the Tufts deposit deadline recently passed, which one did you end up deciding on?

I got accepted to both as well. I ended up putting a deposit down on BU and let Tufts go. We had a BU accepted students day and I didn't get those vibes from the BU students at all. They say they prepare students to be general practitioners, so everything in the curriculum is designed to apply to all aspects of life stages and of individuals. There aren't specific courses with age/conditions because they focus on a flowing life course perspective and not specific blocked ages and ranges. They do seem to prepare you to be a strong researcher, but no students felt like they were at a disadvantage going into hands-on work besides the pandemic limiting in-person contact and therefore some of the hands-on learning that would typically be a part of the curriculum. There also doesn't seem to be any sort of competitiveness at all - everyone is united and working towards the same goals together. My philosophy is that there has to be some reason it's ranked #1 in the nation for OT programs, so there's no way they truly lack the facilities and preparation necessary to become excelling OTs.

I also want to know where you picked! I have deposits down at BU and Jeff (I had to decide by November and couldn't lose the seat) so I'm still deciding but it's definitely tough.