BU vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oeluy2004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like there’s a post comparing these schools every year, but all of them seem pretty outdated. A lot of people telling me that tufts is better seems to reasoning off somewhat outdated info too.
My main reason for preferring tufts might be the better facility and the fact that BU will be under heavy renovations for the next two years. I’ve also heard Tufts has better clinical and BU has shortages but that seems to be the past.
BU on the other hand seems to be pretty impressive with their digital dentistry and some of their profs and especially their admissions team seem to really care about the students. My dentist mentor keeps recommending tufts though, but I think that’s because he graduated a few years ago.
Does anyone have first hand experience with either school and can you share what you think it’s biggest strength is comparatively?

Members don't see this ad.

I preferred the stronger clinical focus at Tufts compared to the technological focus of BU. I also don’t want to go to school in construction.

Members don't see this ad :)
*Bumping this thread*

Now that BU’s new facilities are set to open next year, would someone still pick Tufts over BU?
When I interviewed at Tufts, students seemed competitive in such a large class size and the D3 who gave us a tour kept complaining about her classmates. So while the general advice is that clinical content is better at Tufts, is it really worth being in a class of 200+ students who don’t actually click well?
I wasn’t too impressed with BU’s facilities or location, but the atmosphere seemed more community oriented and conducive to a successful education. Has this been anyone else’s experience, or am I completely wrong?

Reactions: 1 user
*Bumping this thread*

Now that BU’s new facilities are set to open next year, would someone still pick Tufts over BU?
When I interviewed at Tufts, students seemed competitive in such a large class size and the D3 who gave us a tour kept complaining about her classmates. So while the general advice is that clinical content is better at Tufts, is it really worth being in a class of 200+ students who don’t actually click well?
I wasn’t too impressed with BU’s facilities or location, but the atmosphere seemed more community oriented and conducive to a successful education. Has this been anyone else’s experience, or am I completely wrong?
Bumping again.
Anyone? I have to make a decision in a few days and I would please love some help. Thanks!

20k a year is HUGE. Take that and run with BU.

1st Year Example:
Tufts No Scholarship: 118000*(1+.07*4)= $151,000
Boston W/ Scholarship 100000*(1+.07*4)= $128,000

That's a lot of money and a big difference and your future graduated self will be thanking your pre-dental self. Both of these schools are ultra expensive, I hope you have a solid financial plan to pay back these loans post graduation, relocate as far away from urban areas as soon as you can.

Clinical education is whatever, you get what you put in at dental school is what all dentists say. From the sound of it, Tufts doesn't sound like a fun environment to be a student in

What have you heard?
Oh nothing at all, I didn’t interview at Tufts so I have nothing to back that up. That was strictly aimed at the comment from OPs post above that said that it’s ultra competitive and the student tour guide was complaining about his/her class. Could have just been the tour guide