Budget cuts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejendz24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading about the budget crisis facing the University of Illinois system recently (which included such delightful tidbits such as that UI higher education is currently owed over $400 million from the state...). This obviously directly impacts the types of improvements/hiring that can be done at UIC CoD, which I plan on attending. It possibly even jeopardizes its future, though with the school playing such a huge role in the healthcare of the state, I doubt it's at risk for closure.

Anyway, for the sake of conversation, any other schools that you know of, or are planning on attending, facing serious budget cuts? Any concerns over this?

Members don't see this ad.

SIU obviously is seeing the same thing...it's most likely the reason no one can get an answer on when the sim lab will be finished.

I was told at my UIC interview that they will most likely make up for lack of funding through tuition hikes (ironically this is also the last year of their "only raise tuition by 10% or less a year" thinking...look at the UIC strategic plan put in place in 2006...it says it's only good for 5 years).

Anyway, budget cuts are really not what those two dental schools need right now, especially with UIC trying to update its clinics. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If UIC tuition and total cost ends up being comparable to private schools they may really lose a lot of competitive applicants.

I agree. I believe applicants will flee the state if price is no longer an attractive point at UIC.

As far as tuition increases go, I don't necessarily think that they will increase by a large amount, simply because they already realize that they are one of the top 3 in tuition (behind UCLA and UCSF - a state also seeing HUGE budget problems). Being that the Army will be paying my tuition, this isn't abig concern for me, but what I am concerned about is losing faculty and having less space w/ more students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think most state funded schools are experiencing these budget short falls. however, i would think that these schools are still going to be cheaper than the private institutions. that being said, the quality of educaton might decrease. whats important to you, a cheaper price tag with inferior education or a steeper tuition with better education?

I plan on applying to UIC this June and I estimated the tuition (based on their website) to be about 200k for for years and I am an in state student!! :(

I forgot to ask, if tuition rises, will the government increase federal loan limits?

No, federal loan limits will not increase. They are set at 224K for stafford loans both subsidized and unsubsidized for those going into a health profession. Also, the new tuition and fees rates for 2010-2011 will be out for UIC sometime in March. With just a 10% hike it will def. be around 200K plus living expenses. We'll see if they stick to 10%. I certainly hope so otherwise we could be looking at 220K+.

This is why it ends up being comparable to some private schools (where you are guaranteed a great education as well as better facilities...for some at least). It's a very tough situation.

I posted this link before. Read it. UIC is well aware that their high tuition is a problem and that they sometimes can't compete with private and out of state schools. They were def. trying to keep tuition down. Unfortunately this was when Illinois wasn't in the 2nd worst budget crisis in the U.S.

Don't get me wrong on this. I am from the Chicago area and would love to be near home...but for the same $$ I technically could have much more available to myself at private schools (in terms of technology, etc.) However, UIC does some amazing research!!!

Does anyone know if they "lock in" tuition for the dental program for four years like they do for undergrad?

Attachments

• Dentistry Strategic Plan _Approved Faculty 062706_.pdf
    326.5 KB · Views: 79