buffalo & pain fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indytravl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any info about suny buffalo pm&r program? they got a new chairman (shanker nesathurai from boston).

hey, stinky tofu, you are in boston. have you heard anything about this person? he was interim chair at boston but left it to go to buffalo. that made me wonder a bit.

buffalo also has a pain fellowship. I'm interested in interventional pain management & wondered if anyone knows how this fellowship ranks & of other programs that take pmr applicants since most are anesthesia run.

last, where can I get info about how good a pain fellowship is or ranks compared to others.

many thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Well....I did interview at BU, but really wasn't impressed with the program at all. I don't think the other programs in Boston are worth going to. I really don't know Dr. Nesathurai, but hopefully his program at Buffalo will be better than the one at BU! I was offered an interview for the IM/PM&R program at Buffalo, but ultimately decided that I didn't want to do a combined program. Plus, it was a terrible winter that year in Buffalo. I don't think there really are any formal rankings with regards to Pain programs. Your best bet would be to talk to fellows and senior residents.

none of the other boston programs? not tufts? can you elaborate what about them made you think so?

what criterion to use to assess a program?

more about buffalo? I like the location of the (close to the border, lake, etc) but some things seem a bit odd....heard interview questions were "how would you respond if___?" not case scenarios, but about your personality/attitude.

& anything more about schwab in chicago? does "baby RIC" mean not mature & rounded or smaller version RIC with same good variety of pts & ed?

thanks

Well....I think my criteria for a good program might be different than yours. The departments at BU and Tufts were very small and the faculty and residents did not particularly impress me. I am also interested in doing Interventional Pain Management in the future and the opportunities just didn't seem to be available.

With regards to Schwab, I don't know much about that program other than what a RIC resident told me. From what I've heard, the program is pretty good, but in a bad location. The programs I'd shoot for in Boston and Chicago are Spaulding and RIC. You might want to also look at the reviews for different programs at Scutwork.