Pain + SNF/SAR/IPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDoc2025

Resident Physician [PM&R]
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any pain docs here do a weekend or something each month doing SNF/SAR/IPR work and rounding? What does it typically pay? Is it worth it? How do you go about doing it? My spouse is a hospitalist (7 on 7 off) and I was hoping to do SNF/SAR/IPR work the weekends she's on to make some extra money.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Difficult to just do SNF/SAR work only on the weekends. You will miss the therapists, DOR, and others you need to rub elbows with to maintain/cultivate relationships so that your presence is appreciated. If your presence is not appreciated, you will be replaced by another competitor physiatrist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I’m not sure how you’d do SNF once a month on the weekend. What would even be the point for the facility to arrange such an agreement? Would you be taking calls all month on the patients you saw?

Weekend IPR depends a lot on your location and how you’re set up. If you’re 1099, you have malpractice insurance and should be able to cover anywhere looking for coverage. You can just send your resume to the facility program director and tell them what you are looking for. The trick is finding someplace that needs call coverage and without vacation coverage. Might take some time to find, but not impossible. Or you may have to commute to find.

If you’re employed, you’ll have to figure out your malpractice and if it would really be worth it or not with such low coverage.

I agree with Steve above, probably just easier and more financial sound to be busier with pain. Call pay can vary quite a bit based on location and what you are doing. If you are just on call for admissions there might not be much to do or you could be quite busy. If you’re seeing everyone on the unit then could be very busy. Also depends if you are planning to directly bill and collect or just take a stipend. For average stipend I would expect to be offered between $1000-2500 for a first gig (but again depends on a lot of variables).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would love to have some backup weekend coverage at our inpatient unit. Do a handful of admissions, 10-20 f/u. Probably get done in 4-5hrs per day. Make $2000+. Yeah malpractice is probably the biggest barrier, also need to be credentialed with insurers. Not complicated but takes some time to get setup.

Would love to have some backup weekend coverage at our inpatient unit. Do a handful of admissions, 10-20 f/u. Probably get done in 4-5hrs per day. Make $2000+. Yeah malpractice is probably the biggest barrier, also need to be credentialed with insurers. Not complicated but takes some time to get setup.
Where are you located? And what's the best way to reach out for these types of open spots? Just reach out to the Medical Director of the unit?

Where are you located? And what's the best way to reach out for these types of open spots? Just reach out to the Medical Director of the unit?
Yeah you can reach out to the medical director or CEO. The CEO is the one who usually recruits physicians.