Buffalo Vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjkv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions, facts, rankings, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

nymc is ranked a little higher than buffalo on the us news this year, and both are a little lower than usual. if you are in state, the tuition and cost of living diffence will make buffalo a lot less expensive. i did four years in upstate new york. it's real cold, and real snowy, and real dark.

mjc48 said:
nymc is ranked a little higher than buffalo on the us news this year, and both are a little lower than usual. if you are in state, the tuition and cost of living diffence will make buffalo a lot less expensive. i did four years in upstate new york. it's real cold, and real snowy, and real dark.

Sounds real depressing.

I interviewed at Buffalo...I felt "subdued" by the gray sky the entire time there. NYMC vs. X has been done many times. Do a quick search and you will find all of its good/bad highlighted. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:
[/B]

Sounds real depressing.

I interviewed at Buffalo...I felt "subdued" by the gray sky the entire time there. NYMC vs. X has been done many times. Do a quick search and you will find all of its good/bad highlighted. Good luck.

yeah, it was pretty bad...didn't mean to make it sound that bad though. it's definetly not for everyone, but if you like what you see in buffalo, i wouldn't let the weather stop you from going. buy a warm jacket, a bills jersey and a flask. you'll need all of them by the second week in september

mjc48 said:
nymc is ranked a little higher than buffalo on the us news this year, and both are a little lower than usual.

I thought both schools were unranked according to US News? Is there somewhere where I can find information on this? Or can you clarify by having a higher ranking?

well, if you're a ny state resident, buffalo would be a ton cheaper. i think i read somewhere that buffalo has one of the lowest student debt averages among all medical schools in the US.

other than that, i really don't know anything else about the school. the only comparison i can really make is between the two locations. considering that, i think i'd much rather live in westchester than in buffalo.

as for nymc, from what i've gathered:
strengths:
- thorough board prep/good scores
- very respectable match list
- very nice facilities
- fairly close to manhattan
weaknesses:
- competitive atmosphere
- exhaustive exam schedule (mostly for first year)
- sometimes thought of as the red-headed stepchild of the nyc-area schools (hey, it's a tough playing field out there!)
- a lot of people seem to think the administration can do a lot better to help students

anyway, that's my take on nymc. it's where i may very likely be going (well, as of now, it's where i'm definitely going). best of luck with your decision.

medstylee said:
well, if you're a ny state resident, buffalo would be a ton cheaper. i think i read somewhere that buffalo has one of the lowest student debt averages among all medical schools in the US.

other than that, i really don't know anything else about the school. the only comparison i can really make is between the two locations. considering that, i think i'd much rather live in westchester than in buffalo.

as for nymc, from what i've gathered:
strengths:
- thorough board prep/good scores
- very respectable match list
- very nice facilities
- fairly close to manhattan
weaknesses:
- competitive atmosphere
- exhaustive exam schedule (mostly for first year)
- sometimes thought of as the red-headed stepchild of the nyc-area schools (hey, it's a tough playing field out there!)
- a lot of people seem to think the administration can do a lot better to help students

anyway, that's my take on nymc. it's where i may very likely be going (well, as of now, it's where i'm definitely going). best of luck with your decision.

I agree with what MEdstylee just told you. The high board scores come at the cost of a rigorous, almost ridiculous exam schedule especially first yr. Grades are H,HP,P,F I believe.

X5Boi said:
I thought both schools were unranked according to US News? Is there somewhere where I can find information on this? Or can you clarify by having a higher ranking?

sorry, i should have clarified. they are both unranked. i've gotten too used to using the ease of acceptance rankings. you're right.

vjkv said:
Any opinions, facts, rankings, suggestions?

funny! I have the same delimma...have you picked which school yet?

nyb34 said:
funny! I have the same delimma...have you picked which school yet?

Not yet.

I'm actually waitlisted at NYMC and accepted at Buffalo.

I would definately go with NYMC. Family...

As far as rankings and such, I think you should get just a good an education at either school and have just as many opportunities post-graduation coming from either one.

My belief is that unless it's a top, top, top school that opens doors that maybe wouldn't be opened from other schools (and that you need those doors to be open), other factors become more important. The city the school is in is important - I know a couple people in my class and in the second year class that just aren't really Buffalo (as in the city) people. And the atmosphere of the school is important too - find out how competitive the environment is and also whether the administration has a super conservative or super liberal bent, because an extreme in either way can make things hard on you if you aren't oriented in that direction. Figure out what you're really interested in, and find out if each school has what you're interested in.

That was all nonspecific advice. As far as Buffalo, I've really enjoyed my first year here (other than some bumps along the way that I'm sure everyone experiences at any school). It's a good environment for me, it's mostly pretty laid-back and cooperative but of course there are some competitive people. But since the environment is laid-back, the comptetitive people mostly keep their competitiveness to themselves.

So I like it here, and most of the people here from NYC have adjusted to living in Buffalo. But like I said you're right - if you have family in the area of NYMC I'd definitely recommend sticking around there. Family is an important support when you're going through medical school.