newpodgrad
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That's why a solo doc/small group should join an independent physician association whenever possible.however, I fear that insurance contracts will continue to become less and less friendly for solo/small group practices under this trend
Have you done this?That's why a solo doc/small group should join an independent physician association whenever possible.
Yes. Recently joined the IPA at my hospital msg group. Getting reimbursed the same as the hospital employed physicians and the amount is more than doubled for some insurance. An example, Aetna with my IPA reimburses Matrixectomy 11750 at $432. 99204 pays $291. I don't know about y'all but for a new patient ingrown nail procedure, I bill 99204 + 11750. Means I get paid over $700 for that visit that takes me about 15 mins.Have you done this?
Yep, PHOs and IPAs and such are generally well worth it for the assist getting onto and staying on payers, better reimburse, etc. It is smart to inquire at every local hospital (sometimes worth getting on staff just for that PHO membership). I have found that the rural hospitals have the best ones, but they are all well worth the price of admission.... I don't know about y'all but for a new patient ingrown nail procedure, I bill 99204 + 11750. Means I get paid over $700 for that visit that takes me about 15 mins...
I don't know about y'all but for a new patient ingrown nail procedure, I bill 99204 + 11750.
Through the area hospitals (90+ percent of them).How does one join the IPA?
Even better, especially on a Friday.... When I looked up IPA and my town the first thing I saw was local breweries...
What are the approximate costs of joining an IPA?
I have typically seen $250-1000 range to enroll (one time, then they renew free or very low cost since the up-front sign-ups are the main work for them). There are some PHOs and IPAs that are higher or lower in cost. They all do basically the same things.What are the approximate costs of joining an IPA?
This was very similar to my reimbursement with Aetna before I joined the IPA. I must say that Aetna is an outlier though with my IPA. However overall reimbursement is greatly improved joining an IPA.Aetna pays me like pitifully - like $147 for a 11750 and $88 for a 99203.
Haha... I would just keep calling and try to sign up whenever - even if they can only add a couple payers you don't have now or better rates on even one or two. Most are worthwhile as an adjunct to even your own good credentialing and CAQH work.My IPA journey continues. I called the ACO I'm in. They don't do any negotiation for non-employees. I then called the in town IPA from the 1980's. No answer. I decided - screw it. I drove to their office. I arrived at a building just off the free-way. It was one of those small buildings where you can rent cheap office space down hallways. Quite the labyrinth. The IPA appears to have a small office. One window. The lights were off and no one answered when I knocked. I can't help but wonder if an organization like this must be some sort of small branch for a larger organization. Perhaps there's some regional small timer who does the credentialing but they reach elsewhere for things that require negotiating.
It was slightly cleaner than the above but I did keep looking over my shoulder. Perfect world the locals would get back to me because otherwise I'm going to have to try groups in cities hours away. I looked at the websites for 2 large IPA that both contained large numbers of podiatrists. Both were trivially affordable though I'd pay thousands for a 20% increase. One of them I read all their application paperwork and saw nothing that would make me lose hope. Interestingly, one of them had a password protected section of their website literally entitled "fee schedules". Like you said though - pretty certain I'd accept someone else's schedule without looking because there's no world where MDs are accepting what I'm currently getting. I was pleased to see essentially every plan but 1 that I accept on their list. This is an interesting process.Haha... I would just keep calling and try to sign up whenever - even if they can only add a couple payers you don't have now or better rates on even one or two. Most are worthwhile as an adjunct to even your own good credentialing and CAQH work.
Like I said, most of the PHOs and IPAs don't really do much besides some credentialing of new docs they add (hence why they cost to join yet are usually free or much cheaper to renew). They get the group rates on codes almost automatically since they save the payers time; they don't really have to do much on that end. One decent credentialer with a bit of internal or external help can take care of signing up payer/hospital apps for dozens of docs in a MSG or large group, so it is probably just what you said if it's a smaller IPA (one person with mostly remote work and outside help). Even most pretty big IPAs just have a couple staff and a couple docs listed for their guidance and contacts. Your description makes it sound pretty ominous and boiler roomy, though... you'd expect Vin Diesel (or even Neo) to jump out of the dark concrete corners.
![]()
Your description makes it sound pretty ominous and boiler roomy, though... you'd expect Vin Diesel (or even Neo) to jump out of the dark concrete corners.
There were some very sketchy looking cosmetology offices in this building so if the above had walked out I wouldn't have been surprised. Also, I have never seen The Mighty Boosh. Should I have?
They don't contract with Humana either but I don't care
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.