Costs and figures... startup Solo podiatry office

Started by Feli
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Feli

Übermensch
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$ Expense

5,111 Malpractice
6,270 Licensing and Board Exams
436 Travel
10 Parking
790 Education, Training, CME
2,185 Fuel (doc miles)
_14, 802 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
35 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
12,532 Rent
2,393 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
2,264 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
8,203 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
68 Mail (shipping, stamps)
8,466 Office Supplies
38,292 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies, incl fully stocked cabinets and closet of DME, OTC, etc not yet used)
2,616 Medications (inject, crms, etc)
_77,127 expenses related to office ongoing

410 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc... not sure how this was so low... prob put much in Office Supplies cat)
2,265 Tools (instruments, etc)
6,958 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs)
_9,633 expenses related to office startup

1,592 Website + FB
7,707 Marketing
_9,299 expenses related to marketing

834 Uniforms
403 Insurance Work Comp
78,661 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc)
63,268 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
15,733 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
6,166 Meals (50% deduct)
1,415 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
803 Charity
25,600 Taxes
_192,883 expenses related to employees

___303,744 TOTAL


Avg = 161/visit
(this incl post op globals $0, many $0 visits early on from not being on all plans yet... plus many visits for last year are paid in this calendar year by payers and pt pays - yet no income from year before last come in last year, as it's a startup)

...This was not a full year above... it was roughly 9.5mo. It was a cold startup with nothing but walls and floors (no buildout, though). I did have some rep and name recognition in the city/area. I left a large group after they'd cut my pay and were pressing me for certain internal refers and services I wasn't a fan of. I resigned on a Friday and opened on a Monday; however, I'd had at least a month of dead utilities + rent prior to that when arranging the office solo on my evenings/weekends off. It was a hectic couple of months of logistics before launching, but it worked well.

I did many free visits early after going solo (was not on certain plans, was not on MCA, just saw the pts from any and all payers to keep goodwill... "we accept all area plans," took walk-ins, etc). We'd tried to have a first week to set up, but patients showed up from day 1. The first month or two was seldom full days... usually 5-10pts. The office I resigned at fought back hard and generally did not tell patients I was still nearby, but many new pts and prior ones found my solo anyways. I did one employee to start but had to add another within a month due to demand; mine are full time salaried at around 20% over area average pay for their job type. Now, I have a totally full schedule booked a month or two out for some non-acute stuff... we now can only take same-day for pretty serious stuff or if we have a cancel spot arise (which is the norm for any decent doc in the area, with exception of other podiatry offices... taking same/next day, of course).

We will obviously maintain connections and our rep/refers but largely let off on marketing going forward as we've hit all marks that we'd tried for. Expenses for this new year now in progress - the first full calendar year for the office - will be roughly $400k+ gross, roughly $200k to doc (salary + distributions), closer to $200/visit... and those are low estimates. I can post actuals around this tax time next year.

Take home points:
  • It can be done. PP is very viable for podiatry. It does not take a ton of patients to be profitable. I also noticed my collections were significantly higher per pt than prior owner said they were (tells you all you need to know right there). You can take no salary the first year if you're unsure that you will be profitable, but it's wise to add a doc salary once it's clear you're profitable. You can always take more ER and inpt work if you need to in the early going (I don't refuse it... but I definitely try to take less and less, just have them f/u outpt).
  • There are plenty of DPMs who do this. I know many personally. I am nobody special. All who I know doing solo PP do fair to very well, and for various reasoning (see trifecta ideas below). The only way to f*** it up is basically to defeat yourself with fraud services (audit and kicked off payers) or maybe super fancy office and buildout and grand equipment leases where your overhead sinks you before you can fill the appointment book.
  • Startup office is not as expensive as one thinks (I used maybe $50k of my own money to buy supplies and pay staff and pay for credentialing and attorney work... was profitable within 3 months, paid myself back gradual, then still had end-of-year distributions above). You can stock minimal DME and supplies in the early going, and I did... now, I buy as many CAM boots and arch supports and Coban and ankle braces and whatever as I can fit in the office (inflation will only increase their cost if you wait).
  • Staff and EMR and malpractice (and XR if you finance it) are the main monthly big hitters to your budget, as seen above. Exam chairs and autoclave and ultrasound are not cheap, but they're basically one-time. You can obviously go as basic or fancy as you choose. I used no financing at all (savings and cashed out IHS job 401k), but that's just personal choice not to take on any debt, use biz debit card and not credit.
  • This office is done without scammy grafts, other nonsense which insurances are now clawing back on. It is also without Xray revenue (I lease in a hospital, Rx XR to them). This is just income from basic visits, injections, basic office procedures, surgery, basic DME, OTC, rare anymore to do ER or inpt consulting. There is potential for much more (DM shoes, more OTC, various in-office cash svcs, etc), but I'm just fine without it.
  • It is very easy to make much more by more pt volume also... this is rougly 4.5 days/wk, 15-18pt/day, banker hours. Staff are well paid, same ones since startup. We all enjoy the flow, get our lunches, feel steady but not overworked if we have an add-on or two. We are nearly always caught up and in a good mood, run on time, patients are happy, PCPs are happy, and we are perpetually on a waitlist due to our good rep and results in the area - despite other nearby pod offices taking same day and walk-ins.
  • Second, third, etc years will obviously make much more than the first year. The office schedule will be full consistently, office will be on all payers, kinks in system will be worked out, will not have the one-time expenses of chairs and autoclave and computers and furniture and etc that we had starting out. However, malpractice and staff wages and EMR cost and tax bracket other things will always go up (inflation, more income, etc etc).

Biggest points to remember for docs considering PP of any kind (startup, buy in, buy out):
  • You will be able to work roughly half as much (patients/day), you will be able to make twice as much (% kept vs associate work with owner minimizing your collections and taking from you), or you can choose a combo of both of those. I obviously choose about two-thirds patient load to take in roughly one-and-one-third income level of most podiatry associates.
  • Much more than money, you gain the ability to control who you work with, what refers you try to gain (or refuse), choice of supplies, etc. There is no more bargaining or appealing to bosses to get those things done. There is no more asking for days off or haggling about the call schedule or any such inefficient nonsense. You obviously gain ultimate job security if you do any decent job at it. Once the solo office system is in place, you basically just need to attract and retain good people to run it along with you.
  • Remember the magic trifecta of PP podiatry : good payers area, likable doc (and staff), little nearby DPM competition. Those are the main keys to success.

Again, like GreenGreen thread on buying out a retire pod doc, this is not bragging... just food for thought. Hope it helps. I can reply to questions or PM as able. 👍
 
Last edited:
$ Expense

5,111 Malpractice
6,270 Licensing and Board Exams
436 Travel
10 Parking
790 Education, Training, CME
2,185 Fuel (doc miles)
_14, 802 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
35 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
12,532 Rent
2,393 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
2,264 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
8,203 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
68 Mail (shipping, stamps)
8,466 Office Supplies
38,292 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
2,616 Medications (inject, crms, etc)
_77,127 expenses related to office ongoing

410 Office Décor
2,265 Tools (instruments, etc)
6,958 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs)
_9,633 expenses related to office startup

1,592 Website + FB
7,707 Marketing
_9,299 expenses related to marketing

834 Uniforms
403 Insurance Work Comp
78,661 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc)
63,268 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
15,733 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
6,166 Meals (50% deduct)
1,415 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
803 Charity
25,600 Taxes
_192,883 expenses related to employees

___303,744 TOTAL


...This was not a full year above... it was roughly 9.5mo. It was a cold startup with some rep and name recognition in the city/area. I left a large group after they'd cut my pay and were pressing me for certain internal refers and services I wasn't a fan of. I resigned on a Friday and opened on a Monday; however, I'd had at least a month of dead utilities + rent prior to that when arranging the office solo on my evenings/weekends off. It was a hectic couple of months of logistics before launching, but it worked well.

I did many free visits early after going solo (was not on certain plans, was not on MCA, just saw the pts from any and all payers to keep goodwill... "we accept all area plans," took walk-ins, etc). The office I resigned at fought back hard and generally did not tell patients I was still nearby, but many new pts and prior ones found my solo anyways. I did one employee to start but had to add another within a month due to demand; mine are full time salaried at around 20% over area average pay for their job type. Now, I have a totally full schedule booked a month or two out for some non-acute stuff... we now can only take same-day for pretty serious stuff or if we have a cancel spot arise.

We will obviously maintain connections and our rep/refers but largely let off on marketing going forward as we've hit all marks that we'd tried for. Expenses for this new year now in progress - the first full calendar year for the office - will be roughly $400k+ gross, roughly $200k to doc (salary + distributions)... and those are low estimates. I can post actuals around this tax time next year.

Take home points:
  • It can be done. PP is very viable for podiatry. It does not take a ton of patients to be profitable. I also noticed my collections were significantly higher per pt than prior owner said they were (tells you all you need to know right there). You can take no salary the first year if you're unsure that you will be profitable, but it's wise to add a doc salary once it's clear you're profitable. You can always take more ER and inpt work if you need to in the early going (I don't refuse it... but I definitely try to take less and less, just have them f/u outpt).
  • There are plenty of DPMs who do this. I know many personally. I am nobody special. All who I know doing solo PP do fair to very well, and for various reasoning (see trifecta ideas below). The only way to f*** it up is basically to defeat yourself with fraud services (audit and kicked off payers) or maybe super fancy office and grand equipment leases where your overhead sinks you before you can fill the appointment book.
  • Startup office is not as expensive as one thinks (I used maybe $50k of my own money to buy supplies and pay staff and pay for credentialing and attorney work... was profitable within 3 months, paid myself back gradual, then still had end-of-year distributions above). You can stock minimal DME and supplies in the early going, and I did... now, I buy as many CAM boots and arch supports and Coban and ankle braces and whatever as I can fit in the office (inflation will only increase their cost if you wait).
  • Staff and EMR and malpractice (and XR if you finance it) are the main monthly big hitters to your budget, as seen above. Exam chairs and autoclave and ultrasound are not cheap, but they're basically one-time. You can obviously go as basic or fancy as you choose. I used no financing at all (savings and cashed out IHS job 401k), but that's just personal choice not to take on any debt, use biz debit card and not credit.
  • This office is done without scammy grafts, other nonsense which insurances are now clawing back on. It is also without Xray revenue (I lease in a hospital, Rx XR to them). This is just income from basic visits, injections, basic office procedures, surgery, basic DME, OTC, rare anymore to do ER or inpt consulting. There is potential for much more (DM shoes, more OTC, various in-office cash svcs, etc), but I'm just fine without it.
  • It is very easy to make much more by more pt volume also... this is rougly 4.5 days/wk, 15-18pt/day, banker hours. Staff are well paid, same ones since startup. We all enjoy the flow, get our lunches, feel steady but not overworked if we have an add-on or two. We are nearly always caught up, patients are happy, PCPs are happy, and we are perpetually on a waitlist due to our good rep and results in the area.
  • Second, third, etc years will obviously make much more than the first year. The office will be full consistently, office will be on all payers, kinks in system will be worked out, not have the one-time expenses of chairs and autoclave and computers and furniture and etc from starting out. However, malpractice and staff wages and EMR cost and other things will always go up (inflation, etc etc).

Biggest points to remember for docs considering PP of any kind (startup, buy in, buy out):
  • You will be able to work roughly half as much (patients/day), you will be able to make twice as much (% kept vs associate work with owner minimizing your collections and taking from you), or you can choose a combo of both of those. I obviously choose about two-thirds patient load to take in roughly one-and-one-third income level of most podiatry associates.
  • Much more than money, you gain the ability to control who you work with, what refers you try to gain (or refuse), choice of supplies, etc. There is no more bargaining or appealing to bosses to get those things done. There is no more asking for days off or haggling about the call schedule or any such inefficient nonsense. You obviously gain ultimate job security if you do any decent job at it. Once the solo office system is in place, you basically just need to attract and retain good people to run it along with you.
  • Remember the magic trifecta of PP podiatry : good payers area, likable doc (and staff), little nearby DPM competition. Those are the main keys to success.

Again, like GreenGreen thread on buying out a retire pod doc, this is not bragging... just food for thought. Hope it helps. I can reply to questions or PM as able. 👍
Nothing like the fresh smell of freedom after being beat down by a mustache pod or a clipboard nurse.

Great work!

I'll challenge the trifecta of PP podiatry. DPM competition should not in of itself be a reason to scare someone away from PP. If you can keep your overhead down and you are likable, people will seek you out. My strongest referral base are my customers. This mantra holds true in any industry. Take care of people as if they are family and they will send you everyone they know.

PS. if you arent violating your lease, buy a stinking x-ray machine. It pays back quick and prints money within the first year. It also adds the wow factor of being a one stop shop if you can do it. I get calls asking if I have one on site and it brings in those "emergency" stubbed my toe visits right away.
 
Nothing like the fresh smell of freedom after being beat down by a mustache pod or a clipboard nurse.

Great work!

I'll challenge the trifecta of PP podiatry. DPM competition should not in of itself be a reason to scare someone away from PP. If you can keep your overhead down and you are likable, people will seek you out. My strongest referral base are my customers. This mantra holds true in any industry. Take care of people as if they are family and they will send you everyone they know.

PS. if you arent violating your lease, buy a stinking x-ray machine. It pays back quick and prints money within the first year. It also adds the wow factor of being a one stop shop if you can do it. I get calls asking if I have one on site and it brings in those "emergency" stubbed my toe visits right away.
I agree.

Competition is always tough. Plenty of mediocre DPMs have done well and retired pretty young+rich being the rare/only show in town, and plenty of good ones have struggled in saturated places. Podiatry is saturated almost everywhere, but some spots are still much worse than others. Even though we can beat them with better care and results, it takes a lot of time and resources for some localities. It just makes the cost of new pt acquisition (through PCPs or through marketing to public or whatever) a lot higher. PCPs, Urgent Cares, etc just don't even really want to talk to a new doc - much less change refer patterns - if they already have entrenched refers for podiatry. It can always be done, but it's an uphill battle that'll take generally take significantly more time and more energy and more money to break into the areas with well-established DPMs nearby. There is no right or wrong, but I think some areas are absolutely easier to break into faster and with less expense... others are high degree of difficulty.

XR is due to my hospital suite lease, yes... I will have one if I do a second off-site location.
Overall, it is better for visibility and convenience for me to be in the hospital suite... loses XR revenue, but easier marketing and much more natural marketing. They do basically rule out all competing services for hospital renter clinics:
"PROHIBITED USES
1. any form of testing for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes;
2. provision or operation of a laboratory (including, without limitation, a pathology laboratory or a clinical laboratory);
3. any form of diagnostic imaging services (which include, without limitation, the following testing facilities: fluoroscopy, x-ray, plain film radiography, computerized tomography (CT), ultrasound, mammography and breast diagnostics, nuclear medicine testing and magnetic resonance imaging); ..."
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$ Expense

5,111 Malpractice
6,270 Licensing and Board Exams
436 Travel
10 Parking
790 Education, Training, CME
2,185 Fuel (doc miles)
_14, 802 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
35 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
12,532 Rent
2,393 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
2,264 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
8,203 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
68 Mail (shipping, stamps)
8,466 Office Supplies
38,292 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies, incl fully stocked cabinets and closet of DME, OTC, etc not yet used)
2,616 Medications (inject, crms, etc)
_77,127 expenses related to office ongoing

410 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc... not sure how this was so low... prob put much in Office Supplies cat)
2,265 Tools (instruments, etc)
6,958 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs)
_9,633 expenses related to office startup

1,592 Website + FB
7,707 Marketing
_9,299 expenses related to marketing

834 Uniforms
403 Insurance Work Comp
78,661 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc)
63,268 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
15,733 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
6,166 Meals (50% deduct)
1,415 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
803 Charity
25,600 Taxes
_192,883 expenses related to employees

___303,744 TOTAL


...This was not a full year above... it was roughly 9.5mo. It was a cold startup with nothing but walls and floors (no buildout, though). I did have some rep and name recognition in the city/area. I left a large group after they'd cut my pay and were pressing me for certain internal refers and services I wasn't a fan of. I resigned on a Friday and opened on a Monday; however, I'd had at least a month of dead utilities + rent prior to that when arranging the office solo on my evenings/weekends off. It was a hectic couple of months of logistics before launching, but it worked well.

I did many free visits early after going solo (was not on certain plans, was not on MCA, just saw the pts from any and all payers to keep goodwill... "we accept all area plans," took walk-ins, etc). We'd tried to have a first week to set up, but patients showed up from day 1. The first month or two was seldom full days... usually 5-10pts. The office I resigned at fought back hard and generally did not tell patients I was still nearby, but many new pts and prior ones found my solo anyways. I did one employee to start but had to add another within a month due to demand; mine are full time salaried at around 20% over area average pay for their job type. Now, I have a totally full schedule booked a month or two out for some non-acute stuff... we now can only take same-day for pretty serious stuff or if we have a cancel spot arise (which is the norm for any decent doc in the area, with exception of other podiatry offices... taking same/next day, of course).

We will obviously maintain connections and our rep/refers but largely let off on marketing going forward as we've hit all marks that we'd tried for. Expenses for this new year now in progress - the first full calendar year for the office - will be roughly $400k+ gross, roughly $200k to doc (salary + distributions)... and those are low estimates. I can post actuals around this tax time next year.

Take home points:
  • It can be done. PP is very viable for podiatry. It does not take a ton of patients to be profitable. I also noticed my collections were significantly higher per pt than prior owner said they were (tells you all you need to know right there). You can take no salary the first year if you're unsure that you will be profitable, but it's wise to add a doc salary once it's clear you're profitable. You can always take more ER and inpt work if you need to in the early going (I don't refuse it... but I definitely try to take less and less, just have them f/u outpt).
  • There are plenty of DPMs who do this. I know many personally. I am nobody special. All who I know doing solo PP do fair to very well, and for various reasoning (see trifecta ideas below). The only way to f*** it up is basically to defeat yourself with fraud services (audit and kicked off payers) or maybe super fancy office and buildout and grand equipment leases where your overhead sinks you before you can fill the appointment book.
  • Startup office is not as expensive as one thinks (I used maybe $50k of my own money to buy supplies and pay staff and pay for credentialing and attorney work... was profitable within 3 months, paid myself back gradual, then still had end-of-year distributions above). You can stock minimal DME and supplies in the early going, and I did... now, I buy as many CAM boots and arch supports and Coban and ankle braces and whatever as I can fit in the office (inflation will only increase their cost if you wait).
  • Staff and EMR and malpractice (and XR if you finance it) are the main monthly big hitters to your budget, as seen above. Exam chairs and autoclave and ultrasound are not cheap, but they're basically one-time. You can obviously go as basic or fancy as you choose. I used no financing at all (savings and cashed out IHS job 401k), but that's just personal choice not to take on any debt, use biz debit card and not credit.
  • This office is done without scammy grafts, other nonsense which insurances are now clawing back on. It is also without Xray revenue (I lease in a hospital, Rx XR to them). This is just income from basic visits, injections, basic office procedures, surgery, basic DME, OTC, rare anymore to do ER or inpt consulting. There is potential for much more (DM shoes, more OTC, various in-office cash svcs, etc), but I'm just fine without it.
  • It is very easy to make much more by more pt volume also... this is rougly 4.5 days/wk, 15-18pt/day, banker hours. Staff are well paid, same ones since startup. We all enjoy the flow, get our lunches, feel steady but not overworked if we have an add-on or two. We are nearly always caught up and in a good mood, run on time, patients are happy, PCPs are happy, and we are perpetually on a waitlist due to our good rep and results in the area - despite other nearby pod offices taking same day and walk-ins.
  • Second, third, etc years will obviously make much more than the first year. The office schedule will be full consistently, office will be on all payers, kinks in system will be worked out, will not have the one-time expenses of chairs and autoclave and computers and furniture and etc that we had starting out. However, malpractice and staff wages and EMR cost and tax bracket other things will always go up (inflation, more income, etc etc).

Biggest points to remember for docs considering PP of any kind (startup, buy in, buy out):
  • You will be able to work roughly half as much (patients/day), you will be able to make twice as much (% kept vs associate work with owner minimizing your collections and taking from you), or you can choose a combo of both of those. I obviously choose about two-thirds patient load to take in roughly one-and-one-third income level of most podiatry associates.
  • Much more than money, you gain the ability to control who you work with, what refers you try to gain (or refuse), choice of supplies, etc. There is no more bargaining or appealing to bosses to get those things done. There is no more asking for days off or haggling about the call schedule or any such inefficient nonsense. You obviously gain ultimate job security if you do any decent job at it. Once the solo office system is in place, you basically just need to attract and retain good people to run it along with you.
  • Remember the magic trifecta of PP podiatry : good payers area, likable doc (and staff), little nearby DPM competition. Those are the main keys to success.

Again, like GreenGreen thread on buying out a retire pod doc, this is not bragging... just food for thought. Hope it helps. I can reply to questions or PM as able. 👍

Thank you so much for this Feli [emoji120] It gives me confidence to do it myself. Getting ABFAS in the fall the planning to open up the next summer. May I DM you if I have other questions?
 
$ Expense

5,111 Malpractice
6,270 Licensing and Board Exams
436 Travel
10 Parking
790 Education, Training, CME
2,185 Fuel (doc miles)
_14, 802 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
35 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
12,532 Rent
2,393 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
2,264 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
8,203 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
68 Mail (shipping, stamps)
8,466 Office Supplies
38,292 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies, incl fully stocked cabinets and closet of DME, OTC, etc not yet used)
2,616 Medications (inject, crms, etc)
_77,127 expenses related to office ongoing

410 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc... not sure how this was so low... prob put much in Office Supplies cat)
2,265 Tools (instruments, etc)
6,958 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs)
_9,633 expenses related to office startup

1,592 Website + FB
7,707 Marketing
_9,299 expenses related to marketing

834 Uniforms
403 Insurance Work Comp
78,661 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc)
63,268 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
15,733 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
6,166 Meals (50% deduct)
1,415 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
803 Charity
25,600 Taxes
_192,883 expenses related to employees

___303,744 TOTAL


...This was not a full year above... it was roughly 9.5mo. It was a cold startup with nothing but walls and floors (no buildout, though). I did have some rep and name recognition in the city/area. I left a large group after they'd cut my pay and were pressing me for certain internal refers and services I wasn't a fan of. I resigned on a Friday and opened on a Monday; however, I'd had at least a month of dead utilities + rent prior to that when arranging the office solo on my evenings/weekends off. It was a hectic couple of months of logistics before launching, but it worked well.

I did many free visits early after going solo (was not on certain plans, was not on MCA, just saw the pts from any and all payers to keep goodwill... "we accept all area plans," took walk-ins, etc). We'd tried to have a first week to set up, but patients showed up from day 1. The first month or two was seldom full days... usually 5-10pts. The office I resigned at fought back hard and generally did not tell patients I was still nearby, but many new pts and prior ones found my solo anyways. I did one employee to start but had to add another within a month due to demand; mine are full time salaried at around 20% over area average pay for their job type. Now, I have a totally full schedule booked a month or two out for some non-acute stuff... we now can only take same-day for pretty serious stuff or if we have a cancel spot arise (which is the norm for any decent doc in the area, with exception of other podiatry offices... taking same/next day, of course).

We will obviously maintain connections and our rep/refers but largely let off on marketing going forward as we've hit all marks that we'd tried for. Expenses for this new year now in progress - the first full calendar year for the office - will be roughly $400k+ gross, roughly $200k to doc (salary + distributions)... and those are low estimates. I can post actuals around this tax time next year.

Take home points:
  • It can be done. PP is very viable for podiatry. It does not take a ton of patients to be profitable. I also noticed my collections were significantly higher per pt than prior owner said they were (tells you all you need to know right there). You can take no salary the first year if you're unsure that you will be profitable, but it's wise to add a doc salary once it's clear you're profitable. You can always take more ER and inpt work if you need to in the early going (I don't refuse it... but I definitely try to take less and less, just have them f/u outpt).
  • There are plenty of DPMs who do this. I know many personally. I am nobody special. All who I know doing solo PP do fair to very well, and for various reasoning (see trifecta ideas below). The only way to f*** it up is basically to defeat yourself with fraud services (audit and kicked off payers) or maybe super fancy office and buildout and grand equipment leases where your overhead sinks you before you can fill the appointment book.
  • Startup office is not as expensive as one thinks (I used maybe $50k of my own money to buy supplies and pay staff and pay for credentialing and attorney work... was profitable within 3 months, paid myself back gradual, then still had end-of-year distributions above). You can stock minimal DME and supplies in the early going, and I did... now, I buy as many CAM boots and arch supports and Coban and ankle braces and whatever as I can fit in the office (inflation will only increase their cost if you wait).
  • Staff and EMR and malpractice (and XR if you finance it) are the main monthly big hitters to your budget, as seen above. Exam chairs and autoclave and ultrasound are not cheap, but they're basically one-time. You can obviously go as basic or fancy as you choose. I used no financing at all (savings and cashed out IHS job 401k), but that's just personal choice not to take on any debt, use biz debit card and not credit.
  • This office is done without scammy grafts, other nonsense which insurances are now clawing back on. It is also without Xray revenue (I lease in a hospital, Rx XR to them). This is just income from basic visits, injections, basic office procedures, surgery, basic DME, OTC, rare anymore to do ER or inpt consulting. There is potential for much more (DM shoes, more OTC, various in-office cash svcs, etc), but I'm just fine without it.
  • It is very easy to make much more by more pt volume also... this is rougly 4.5 days/wk, 15-18pt/day, banker hours. Staff are well paid, same ones since startup. We all enjoy the flow, get our lunches, feel steady but not overworked if we have an add-on or two. We are nearly always caught up and in a good mood, run on time, patients are happy, PCPs are happy, and we are perpetually on a waitlist due to our good rep and results in the area - despite other nearby pod offices taking same day and walk-ins.
  • Second, third, etc years will obviously make much more than the first year. The office schedule will be full consistently, office will be on all payers, kinks in system will be worked out, will not have the one-time expenses of chairs and autoclave and computers and furniture and etc that we had starting out. However, malpractice and staff wages and EMR cost and tax bracket other things will always go up (inflation, more income, etc etc).

Biggest points to remember for docs considering PP of any kind (startup, buy in, buy out):
  • You will be able to work roughly half as much (patients/day), you will be able to make twice as much (% kept vs associate work with owner minimizing your collections and taking from you), or you can choose a combo of both of those. I obviously choose about two-thirds patient load to take in roughly one-and-one-third income level of most podiatry associates.
  • Much more than money, you gain the ability to control who you work with, what refers you try to gain (or refuse), choice of supplies, etc. There is no more bargaining or appealing to bosses to get those things done. There is no more asking for days off or haggling about the call schedule or any such inefficient nonsense. You obviously gain ultimate job security if you do any decent job at it. Once the solo office system is in place, you basically just need to attract and retain good people to run it along with you.
  • Remember the magic trifecta of PP podiatry : good payers area, likable doc (and staff), little nearby DPM competition. Those are the main keys to success.

Again, like GreenGreen thread on buying out a retire pod doc, this is not bragging... just food for thought. Hope it helps. I can reply to questions or PM as able. 👍
First of all, thanks for doing this, this is a truly invaluable resource to anyone looking to take the plunge. A couple of questions/observations, in no particular order.

1) According to my digital XR internal record-keeping, I personally took about 1700 projections last year. Assuming they're all 73630s (they're not) and assuming I got paid about $30 per series (yes this is accurate), that translates to about $16k collections. Which is what we paid for the upgrade from a CR system to a DR system, and the times savings alone was worth it. Of course I XR lots of stuff that my partners won't bother with, they each only did about 500 projections.

2) $6270 is a ton of money for board exams. I would ask why it cost so much, but the SDN real ones all know where $4k of it went :/

3) Kudos to you keeping overhead down. Your rent seems really cheap for a hospital building. Ditto with utilities. I know in my area legal/accounting fees would cost much more than $1500

4) marketing expenses are steep but understandable if there's lots of competition in your area, especially starting out

5) Is 78K salaries for a total of 2 employees? How did you spend $800 on uniforms? Lots of turnover and lots of new scrubs? How did you spend $6k on meals? Again, it's wonderful that you open your books to us, and I'm not suggesting you did anything wrong. I'm legitimately curious.
 
Sure np, answers bolded
First of all, thanks for doing this, this is a truly invaluable resource to anyone looking to take the plunge. A couple of questions/observations, in no particular order.

1) According to my digital XR internal record-keeping, I personally took about 1700 projections last year. Assuming they're all 73630s (they're not) and assuming I got paid about $30 per series (yes this is accurate), that translates to about $16k collections. Which is what we paid for the upgrade from a CR system to a DR system, and the times savings alone was worth it. Of course I XR lots of stuff that my partners won't bother with, they each only did about 500 projections. ...can't have XR, not allowed in lease. I agree it pays for itself fast and is a no-brainer for any full-time pod office if allowed.


2) $6270 is a ton of money for board exams. I would ask why it cost so much, but the SDN real ones all know where $4k of it went :/ ...yes yes, rdrr. Board exams cost for me will be lower in years ahead, except in poss RRA cert year. However that amount $6.3k also includes state lic, pharma lic, DEA lic, hospital dues, etc etc. CME costs will obviously be up and down YoY.

3) Kudos to you keeping overhead down. Your rent seems really cheap for a hospital building. Ditto with utilities. I know in my area legal/accounting fees would cost much more than $1500 ...office is only 650sq ft with basic utilities incl (heat, elec, etc)... again, a tradeoff for no XR allowed. Paid no (biz) tax prep in startup year. The legal and accounting fees startup year were just attorney consults (verify my old contract was over, verify no non-compete in NM, prep for dealing with any violations/accusations nonsense by old office), HR consult (company policy, hiring/benefits), and accountant consult (corp setup, tax planning)

4) marketing expenses are steep but understandable if there's lots of competition in your area, especially starting out ...I probably overshot on marketing, but it worked very well (wait list within a few months of opening). My old office was working against me, and I needed to promote awareness to PCPs and community that I was still in the area. I did signs, newspaper ads, local movie theatre previews spot, diner menu board ad spot, professional website, token gifts for PCPs, etc. Marketing might be half in years ahead (signs last)... but we have plans for photo shoot, ongoing website updates, continue token gifts, etc. Podiatry is saturated and getting moreso every year, so if you're not growing, you're shrinking. 🙂

5) Is 78K salaries for a total of 2 employees? How did you spend $800 on uniforms? Lots of turnover and lots of new scrubs? How did you spend $6k on meals? Again, it's wonderful that you open your books to us, and I'm not suggesting you did anything wrong. I'm legitimately curious. ...$78.7k is two employees partial year, one for 9.5mo and one for 8.5mo of last year, yes (salary + bonuses, benefits, my payroll taxes, etc). Same two employees since startup. They have received raises since then... it will be over $100k for the two of them for this year in a full 12 month year (biggest chunk of my overhead - and most important part, bar none). For meals, we do weekly team lunches, office snacks and drinks, office quarterly outings (show, concert, dinner, etc), many meals of my own and me+ gf when moving in and setting up office, etc etc... all work-related and deductible (meals at 50%, entertainment not deductible). Uniforms is mostly whatever I wear (dry cleaning white coats adds up fast, scrubs, undershirts etc, sneakers, dress clothes for meetings or marketing, whatever), and I get each staff a pair of running shoes per year... Altra or Brooks or Asics of their choosing (that was nearly half of uni cost right there).
 
Last edited:
First of all, thanks for doing this, this is a truly invaluable resource to anyone looking to take the plunge. A couple of questions/observations, in no particular order.

1) According to my digital XR internal record-keeping, I personally took about 1700 projections last year. Assuming they're all 73630s (they're not) and assuming I got paid about $30 per series (yes this is accurate), that translates to about $16k collections. Which is what we paid for the upgrade from a CR system to a DR system, and the times savings alone was worth it. Of course I XR lots of stuff that my partners won't bother with, they each only did about 500 projections.

2) $6270 is a ton of money for board exams. I would ask why it cost so much, but the SDN real ones all know where $4k of it went :/

3) Kudos to you keeping overhead down. Your rent seems really cheap for a hospital building. Ditto with utilities. I know in my area legal/accounting fees would cost much more than $1500

4) marketing expenses are steep but understandable if there's lots of competition in your area, especially starting out

5) Is 78K salaries for a total of 2 employees? How did you spend $800 on uniforms? Lots of turnover and lots of new scrubs? How did you spend $6k on meals? Again, it's wonderful that you open your books to us, and I'm not suggesting you did anything wrong. I'm legitimately curious.
I thought you get the 4K back if you win your challenge.

Everybody here x-rays way too much.
 
Great post! I am surprised that you had enough volume to justify 78K in staff compensation.

Do you think that you could have survived with one employee (assuming that's the compensation for 2), took on additional responsibility (sterilizing, cleaning, rooming patients, etc) and increased your own compensation?
 
Great post! I am surprised that you had enough volume to justify 78K in staff compensation.

Do you think that you could have survived with one employee (assuming that's the compensation for 2), took on additional responsibility (sterilizing, cleaning, rooming patients, etc) and increased your own compensation?
Definitely possible to just have a front/scheduler and do it that way... at least to a certain volume.

I know a lot of DPMs who do the "back" (rooming, HPI, cleaning, instruments, restock, autoclave) all by themselves. Many of them are even quite a few years into solo PP and just continue to do it that method for whatever reason (preference, not enough pts to justify assist, etc). The DPM who was in my current space decades did a front desk and did the back-of-the-house on his own sometimes, but he typically had both front + assistant during most days and most timespans he ran the office.

Personally, I like having an assist in the rooms and can see more pts that way. Yes, we had the volume pretty fast to the point where we were missing phone calls and walk-ins and stuff when my one employee was helping me in a room or on a break. I also find most employees have a strong leaning (and competency) to either front/reception or assistant/medical side; very few are interested or proficient in both. Unless they stay a long while, it's hard to have them well-trained and plenty of reps on both jobs.

Most of all, I prefer to mainly just do the doc stuff (dx, plan, key pt edu, procedures, admin stuff in solo) and have the MA do the rooming, cleaning, restocking, various assist, disp DME or OTC, etc stuff. I think that doc is worth up to $200/hr or even more in podiatry PP, so basically anything that can be hired out for less probably should be (same reasoning I'd never do my own billing, accounting, deep cleaning, IT beyond basic stuff, repairs beyond basics, etc etc). The fitting of DME or removing bandages or cleaning instruments or helping elderly pts with shoes/socks/chair is actually pretty time consuming if you have appointment demand you could be seeing instead. If the MA costs $200/day, you really only need to see one or two more pts per day to make it profitable to have them (my $161/visit above is very low due to startup speed bumps and will increase). It also just seems more professional to me to not have the doc rooming pts, cleaning, answering phone, etc too much themselves. I'm not above doc doing that stuff themself, it's understandable real early on, and I still do all of those things occasionally. However, to have doc do it routinely once the schedule is fuller just screams "struggling doctor" to me, or it makes it look like the office isn't very busy or in demand. If the doc is less accessible and available, pts tend to respect that, and it cuts down on time wastes (this goes for phone needs also). It is also a bit gross to be reaching into drawers or cabinets and just plain tough to handle tape or band aids once you have gloves on... 100x smoother to have MA with supplies + instruments ready and one step ahead of you.

On days my MA (or front) is off on vaca and I have just one employee, then I do the back stuff 90% myself (I have the employee who is there still room pts and clean as able), but the phones/front is their main work on days with just me plus one. Im amazed how my efficiency suffers when i don't have MA help, esp for procedures and wound care. I usually only schedule about half to 2/3 the normal pt volume on those days, and we largely avoid too many wound or procedure or immediate pre/post op or new pts on those days which are heavy on supplies or cleanup. So, I think the increased productivity from a trained MA easily pays for itself. Your base expenses like rent, EMR, malprac and other insurances, utilities, etc etc are the same if you see 10pts or 25pts and whether you work 4hr in a day or 8hr or 10hr or 0hrs. I will absolutely get a second MA if I move to a bigger space or add a second location (my current location just has two exam rooms and physical space for 2 employees max).

...Overall, I'm well aware my office has a decent amount of inefficiencies. I could have less staff or pay less or not get them lunches or work longer hours. I mainly just try to make it a place that I, and my staff, like to work... and pts get what they need. There are waaay too many medical offices that the employees (docs included) don't like going to each day, that feel understaffed, or where the staff are constantly looking for new job or more pay. The people working alongside or the doc who that job seeker supports likely have noooo idea they're on the verge of losing their scheduler or assist or manager or whatever. There was one pitiful story on WCI about a cardio doc (longtime hospital employ) considering asking the forum about giving his med assist $10k/yr or something to not go to a different job and just stay there until he retired in a few years. It was pathetic. I hear hospital employee docs complain they're understaffed often, and I hear PP employee docs complain the good assistants leave or they can't remove bad ones. As owner, you can dictate those outcomes to a much greater extent.

So sure, I could pay my staff less, see more pts/day, etc. I might consider those things if I didn't have savings going into solo, if my partner didn't have good income, or if we had kids or serious debt or etc. I just like working with happy ppl and with generally happy pts. The turnover also costs more than most offices realize... in money, but also time, happiness, stress, team chemistry. Jmo and rationale. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Despite his one sided relationship with ABFAS I would say Feli gives the best and most balanced takes here. It’s a hair short of AI to be honest. The essays may they be adderall or caffeine influenced are one of the only things that keep our podiatry takes as a whole somewhat legitimate and not meme territory here on SDN.

I can read basically any post of his and be like “yeah, that’s true. I don’t disagree with that and it was said in a good manner”.

Also to be completely honest posting in an open forum on your own in a profession that consists of insecure wannabe orthos who have been throwing up a facade since entering podiatry school deserves respect.
 
Last edited:
$ Expenses 2024 (first full calendar year)

8,814 Malpractice
1,215 Licensing and Board Exams
1,007 Travel
100 Parking
1,910 Education, Training, CME
958 Fuel (doc miles)
_14,004 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
2 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
13,858 Rent
2,979 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
3,699 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
9,065 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
273 Mail (shipping, stamps)
3,318 Office Supplies
31,662 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
0 Medications (inject, crms, etc... prob just had this in COGS above?)
_67,114 expenses related to office ongoing

556 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc)
3,318 Tools (instruments, etc)
0 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs... no new depreciable stuff)
_7,507 expenses related to office startup

2,388 Website + FB
5,119 Marketing
_7,507 expenses related to marketing

2,336 Uniforms
661 Insurance Work Comp
152,636 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc... added $41k doc w2 in 2nd yr, in 1st year doc got distrib only, doc will be $96k salary future yrs)
152,957 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
26,022 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
15,461 Meals (some 50%, some 100% deduct)
992 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
747 Charity
46,480 Taxes
_398,292 expenses related to employees

___490,791 TOTAL

...avg = 176/visit (this incl post op globals $0, no pay visits, a few orthotic pickups and professional courtesy visits I usually don't charge for, etc)

Basically, cost of goods goes way down after first year (keep in mind first year at top post was 9.5mo but had to stock all supplies),
little cost for office furniture and decor and computer hardware or etc after initial year...
marketing goes down a bit (I suppose this varies on how first year goes?)... attorney down but accountant up a bit.
Rent and utilities and EMR go up a bit with inflation.
Bigtime increases in labor (keep good employees), answer service (more calls/msgs), billing as it's % based (but less cred fees)... basically all else goes up.

My hours are definitely easier now. I barely ever work weekends anymore unless it's to do a bit of shopping for the biz or maybe to clean up EMR stuff (could do at home but typically like to be in office for quiet/library effect). I worked most weekends in the startup year (every single one first few months, most weekends in 2nd half of startup year) doing stocking, ordering, setting up, doing forms, etc.

I have the same 2 employees I started with early 2023... overpaid for area (raises to ~112k/yr last year for the two as above when you count their salaries + various bonuses). They're even higher for 2025 and forward, but they're happy and highly productive and reliable (which makes my life easy). I could make a lot more for myself if I were paying them $18/hr with no bonuses or whatever the minimum for the area MA and med reception is... but having to train a new MA every 6 months or so is just not my style. :shrug: Luckily, my team is small and I can overpay them and expect awesome work.
 
Last edited:
$ Expenses 2024 (first full calendar year)

8,814 Malpractice
1,215 Licensing and Board Exams
1,007 Travel
100 Parking
1,910 Education, Training, CME
958 Fuel (doc miles)
_14,004 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
2 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
13,858 Rent
2,979 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
3,699 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
9,065 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
273 Mail (shipping, stamps)
3,318 Office Supplies
31,662 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
0 Medications (inject, crms, etc... prob just had this in COGS above?)
_67,114 expenses related to office ongoing

556 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc)
3,318 Tools (instruments, etc)
0 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs... no new depreciable stuff)
_7,507 expenses related to office startup

2,388 Website + FB
5,119 Marketing
_7,507 expenses related to marketing

2,336 Uniforms
661 Insurance Work Comp
152,636 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc... added $41k doc w2 in 2nd yr, in 1st year doc got distrib only, doc will be $96k salary future yrs)
152,957 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
26,022 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
15,461 Meals (some 50%, some 100% deduct)
992 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
747 Charity
46,480 Taxes
_398,292 expenses related to employees

___490,791 TOTAL

...avg = 176/visit (this incl post op globals $0, no pay visits, a few orthotic pickups and professional courtesy visits I usually don't charge for, etc)

Basically, cost of goods goes way down after first year (keep in mind first year at top post was 9.5mo but had to stock all supplies),
little cost for office furniture and decor and computer hardware or etc after initial year...
marketing goes down a bit (I suppose this varies on how first year goes?)... attorney down but accountant up a bit.
Rent and utilities and EMR go up a bit with inflation.
Bigtime increases in labor (keep good employees), answer service (more calls/msgs), billing as it's % based (but less cred fees)... basically all else goes up.

My hours are definitely easier now. I barely ever work weekends anymore unless it's to do a bit of shopping for the biz or maybe to clean up EMR stuff (could do at home but typically like to be in office for quiet/library effect). I worked most weekends in the startup year (every single one first few months, most weekends in 2nd half of startup year) doing stocking, ordering, setting up, doing forms, etc.

I have the same 2 employees I started with early 2023... overpaid for area (raises to ~112k/yr last year for the two as above when you count their salaries + various bonuses). They're even higher for 2025 and forward, but they're happy and highly productive and reliable (which makes my life easy). I could make a lot more for myself if I were paying them $18/hr with no bonuses or whatever the minimum for the area MA and med reception is... but having to train a new MA every 6 months or so is just not my style. :shrug: Luckily, my team is small and I can overpay them and expect awesome work.
How am I collecting 45$ for nails lol.... I need to move south. What is your office diversity? Plantar fasciitis/msk etc, ingrowns, wounds etc. My 99213 for my local BCBS is $81.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$ Expenses 2024 (first full calendar year)

8,814 Malpractice
1,215 Licensing and Board Exams
1,007 Travel
100 Parking
1,910 Education, Training, CME
958 Fuel (doc miles)
_14,004 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
2 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
13,858 Rent
2,979 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
3,699 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
9,065 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
273 Mail (shipping, stamps)
3,318 Office Supplies
31,662 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
0 Medications (inject, crms, etc... prob just had this in COGS above?)
_67,114 expenses related to office ongoing

556 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc)
3,318 Tools (instruments, etc)
0 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs... no new depreciable stuff)
_7,507 expenses related to office startup

2,388 Website + FB
5,119 Marketing
_7,507 expenses related to marketing

2,336 Uniforms
661 Insurance Work Comp
152,636 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc... added $41k doc w2 in 2nd yr, in 1st year doc got distrib only, doc will be $96k salary future yrs)
152,957 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
26,022 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
15,461 Meals (some 50%, some 100% deduct)
992 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
747 Charity
46,480 Taxes
_398,292 expenses related to employees

___490,791 TOTAL

...avg = 176/visit (this incl post op globals $0, no pay visits, a few orthotic pickups and professional courtesy visits I usually don't charge for, etc)

Basically, cost of goods goes way down after first year (keep in mind first year at top post was 9.5mo but had to stock all supplies),
little cost for office furniture and decor and computer hardware or etc after initial year...
marketing goes down a bit (I suppose this varies on how first year goes?)... attorney down but accountant up a bit.
Rent and utilities and EMR go up a bit with inflation.
Bigtime increases in labor (keep good employees), answer service (more calls/msgs), billing as it's % based (but less cred fees)... basically all else goes up.

My hours are definitely easier now. I barely ever work weekends anymore unless it's to do a bit of shopping for the biz or maybe to clean up EMR stuff (could do at home but typically like to be in office for quiet/library effect). I worked most weekends in the startup year (every single one first few months, most weekends in 2nd half of startup year) doing stocking, ordering, setting up, doing forms, etc.

I have the same 2 employees I started with early 2023... overpaid for area (raises to ~112k/yr last year for the two as above when you count their salaries + various bonuses). They're even higher for 2025 and forward, but they're happy and highly productive and reliable (which makes my life easy). I could make a lot more for myself if I were paying them $18/hr with no bonuses or whatever the minimum for the area MA and med reception is... but having to train a new MA every 6 months or so is just not my style. :shrug: Luckily, my team is small and I can overpay them and expect awesome work.
Hellyeah. I'm glad it's working for you and I like what you do for your employees
 
$ Expenses 2024 (first full calendar year)

8,814 Malpractice
1,215 Licensing and Board Exams
1,007 Travel
100 Parking
1,910 Education, Training, CME
958 Fuel (doc miles)
_14,004 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
2 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
13,858 Rent
2,979 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
3,699 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
9,065 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
273 Mail (shipping, stamps)
3,318 Office Supplies
31,662 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
0 Medications (inject, crms, etc... prob just had this in COGS above?)
_67,114 expenses related to office ongoing

556 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc)
3,318 Tools (instruments, etc)
0 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs... no new depreciable stuff)
_7,507 expenses related to office startup

2,388 Website + FB
5,119 Marketing
_7,507 expenses related to marketing

2,336 Uniforms
661 Insurance Work Comp
152,636 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc... added $41k doc w2 in 2nd yr, in 1st year doc got distrib only, doc will be $96k salary future yrs)
152,957 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
26,022 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
15,461 Meals (some 50%, some 100% deduct)
992 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
747 Charity
46,480 Taxes
_398,292 expenses related to employees

___490,791 TOTAL

...avg = 176/visit (this incl post op globals $0, no pay visits, a few orthotic pickups and professional courtesy visits I usually don't charge for, etc)

Basically, cost of goods goes way down after first year (keep in mind first year at top post was 9.5mo but had to stock all supplies),
little cost for office furniture and decor and computer hardware or etc after initial year...
marketing goes down a bit (I suppose this varies on how first year goes?)... attorney down but accountant up a bit.
Rent and utilities and EMR go up a bit with inflation.
Bigtime increases in labor (keep good employees), answer service (more calls/msgs), billing as it's % based (but less cred fees)... basically all else goes up.

My hours are definitely easier now. I barely ever work weekends anymore unless it's to do a bit of shopping for the biz or maybe to clean up EMR stuff (could do at home but typically like to be in office for quiet/library effect). I worked most weekends in the startup year (every single one first few months, most weekends in 2nd half of startup year) doing stocking, ordering, setting up, doing forms, etc.

I have the same 2 employees I started with early 2023... overpaid for area (raises to ~112k/yr last year for the two as above when you count their salaries + various bonuses). They're even higher for 2025 and forward, but they're happy and highly productive and reliable (which makes my life easy). I could make a lot more for myself if I were paying them $18/hr with no bonuses or whatever the minimum for the area MA and med reception is... but having to train a new MA every 6 months or so is just not my style. :shrug: Luckily, my team is small and I can overpay them and expect awesome work.
Also are your staff all salary + bonus or hourly at a high rate
 
Also are your staff all salary + bonus or hourly at a high rate
They're both salary... small sign bonus, bonuses ongoing for OTC monthly sales %, retire bonus annually, holiday bonus annual, annual productivity (% of profits for whole office), can cash out unused vaca/sick days, little bonuses for busy days, etc. Prob more bonuses than most podiatry associates.

I'm too lazy to do the punch in/out thing. I would get sick of that real fast... "I forgot to punch back in after lunch," milking the clock staying doing nothing, etc.
I mainly think salary treats them more like real adults (you do have to pay them at least $36k/yr or so ... and write job descrips to make them exempt vs non-exempt... aka decision makers).
 
Last edited:
so your expenses are 500k.

is your gross revenue (actual paid invoices/reimbursed charges/etc) well over that or are you bringing in around 500K and taking all the leftover at distribution?

I see your paying yourself 41K plus your owner distribution so you essentially made 193K if I am reading that correctly?
 
so your expenses are 500k.

is your gross revenue (actual paid invoices/reimbursed charges/etc) well over that or are you bringing in around 500K and taking all the leftover at distribution?

I see your paying yourself 41K plus your owner distribution so you essentially made 193K if I am reading that correctly?
Eh, gross income is a bit under 500k, yeah.
As for my net, that's the basic of it 193k dividends +41k salary (for year 2... was a lot less in year 1).*
Expenses were whatever they were... 491k - my income (234k) = overhead aka deductions (257k aka 52%)

*The income is a bit more complicated in solo/owner, though. When you run S-corp, quite a few things can be a deduction, so you can work a fair bit of things also. Not going to post a whole lot on that, but it's pretty common sense (trips for work might also have fun stuff same days, shoes or jacket or etc bought for work might also be worn elsewhere, meal after gym might be biz expenses as you had done some office work before gym, etc).

I am paying myself $96k salary from here on. I would've done that sooner, but wanted to assure consistent profit... that's about the sweet spot for most owner docs/CRNA/professionals/etc to do as the w2 portion (the rest as dividends). It maxes out social security benefits "bend points," which change annual but it's about 88k right now. That also gets you to the low end of peer podiatrist incomes for same taxonomy code status... basically in order to avoid audits.
 
Eh, gross income is a bit under 500k, yeah.
As for my net, that's the basic of it 193k dividends +41k salary (for year 2... was a lot less in year 1).*
Expenses were whatever they were... 491k - my income (234k) = overhead aka deductions (257k aka 52%)

*The income is a bit more complicated in solo/owner, though. When you run S-corp, quite a few things can be a deduction, so you can work a fair bit of things also. Not going to post a whole lot on that, but it's pretty common sense (trips for work might also have fun stuff same days, shoes or jacket or etc bought for work might also be worn elsewhere, meal after gym might be biz expenses as you had done some office work before gym, etc).

I am paying myself $96k salary from here on. I would've done that sooner, but wanted to assure consistent profit... that's about the sweet spot for most owner docs/CRNA/professionals/etc to do as the w2 portion (the rest as dividends). It maxes out social security benefits "bend points," which change annual but it's about 88k right now. That also gets you to the low end of peer podiatrist incomes for same taxonomy code status... basically in order to avoid audits.
Post workout meals is awesome
 
Yeah, that's the basic of it (for year 2... was a lot less in year 1).
When you run S-corp, quite a few things can be a deduction, so you can work a fair bit of things also. Not going to post a whole lot on that, but it's pretty common sense (trips for work might also have fun stuff same days, shoes or jacket or etc bought for work might also be worn elsewhere, meal after gym might be biz expenses as you had done some office work before gym, etc).

I am paying myself $96k salary from here on. I would've done that sooner, but wanted to assure consistent profit... that's about the sweet spot for most owner docs/CRNA/professionals/etc to do as the w2 portion (the rest as dividends). It maxes out social security benefits "bend points," which change annual but it's about 88k right now. That also gets you to the low end of peer podiatrist incomes for same taxonomy code status... basically in order to avoid audits.

This is interesting. I paid myself 121,200 as W2. My rationale was that if I get audited, this is literally what Podiatrists at VAs are starting at and it's public information. The rest I took as distribution. I would think being sub 100k would put you at greater risk for being audited, but have no data to back this up. Does that every concern you?

As much as I wanted to pay myself 30-40% of my profits in salary and take the rest in distributions, my fear of getting audited got the better of me.

Do you have a solo 401k? I like the idea of paying myself a little more W2 salary, that way I can contribute more to my solo 401k (max contribution employer can make to 401k is 25% of W2 salary). In order to max 401k contributions as an employer W2 salary would have to be 188k-ish. My issue is I don't want to pay the social security wage base limit lol which I think caps out at 176k If i recall correctly.
 
I (finally) converted to an S-corp, my accountant researched this and said I should pay myself $84k salary.
 
Is this an accountant you all have on retainer or one you pay fee per service
my practice has been doing business with their firm for a looong time, so we have enough good will built up that they don't charge retainer fees, we just pay by billable hour.

And reading between the lines, I can tell this wasn't what you were getting at. No one has to be like me if they don't like how I do things.
 
my practice has been doing business with their firm for a looong time, so we have enough good will built up that they don't charge retainer fees, we just pay by billable hour.

And reading between the lines, I can tell this wasn't what you were getting at. No one has to be like me if they don't like how I do things.
What? I wasn't getting at anything. I just didn't know if people keep particular accountants on tap like particular coworkers you hire/etc; how people find them
 
I don't know where this was going but if you read the anesthesia or ED forum there's an extensive argument across that forum over what is acceptable underlying salary with enormous variations across accountants.
my practice has been doing business with their firm for a looong time, so we have enough good will built up that they don't charge retainer fees, we just pay by billable hour.

And reading between the lines, I can tell this wasn't what you were getting at. No one has to be like me if they don't like how I do things.
 
I don't know where this was going but if you read the anesthesia or ED forum there's an extensive argument across that forum over what is acceptable underlying salary with enormous variations across accountants.
I wasn't even thinking about the listed salary. I just was wondering how people retained/got their accountant or other business associated people
 
I wasn't even thinking about the listed salary. I just was wondering how people retained/got their accountant or other business associated people
sorry, I thought you were insinuating something about who we've had keeping our books.

Anyway, you find/pay an accountant much the same as your lawyer. You will probably not need to put down a retainer but you pay per billable hour. A solo dpm office opening its doors is going to have very simple bookkeeping and very simple tax prep so accounting costs will be relatively low.
 
sorry, I thought you were insinuating something about who we've had keeping our books.

Anyway, you find/pay an accountant much the same as your lawyer. You will probably not need to put down a retainer but you pay per billable hour. A solo dpm office opening its doors is going to have very simple bookkeeping and very simple tax prep so accounting costs will be relatively low.
That 2nd paragraph is what I was asking As- you open and just look for a business accountant and pay them to accountancy for you as needed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know where this was going but if you read the anesthesia or ED forum there's an extensive argument across that forum over what is acceptable underlying salary with enormous variations across accountants.

I don’t know how big of a deal your reported “salary” is in terms of $ amount. My understanding is that the red flag is the ratio of salary to dividend (C corp)/distribution (S corp).

Never heard of a hard and fast number but basically, two people who pay themselves $80k salary aren’t viewed the same when one is taking $150k distribution and the other $250k. The latter is the one that’s gonna have the IRS at their door. Well, maybe not for long…we can only hope…
 
This is interesting. I paid myself 121,200 as W2. My rationale was that if I get audited, this is literally what Podiatrists at VAs are starting at and it's public information. The rest I took as distribution. I would think being sub 100k would put you at greater risk for being audited, but have no data to back this up. Does that every concern you?

As much as I wanted to pay myself 30-40% of my profits in salary and take the rest in distributions, my fear of getting audited got the better of me.

Do you have a solo 401k? I like the idea of paying myself a little more W2 salary, that way I can contribute more to my solo 401k (max contribution employer can make to 401k is 25% of W2 salary). In order to max 401k contributions as an employer W2 salary would have to be 188k-ish. My issue is I don't want to pay the social security wage base limit lol which I think caps out at 176k If i recall correctly.
Yeah, I think the general wisdom is to do roughly 50/50 salary/distributions when you're lower income.... or do low end of avg wage for your profession as salary with the rest distributions once you make more. Most of you guys probably have higher overall income than I do as you make more and/or work more (I see ~250pt/month typically).

I know a few of CRNA (and podiatrists) that do the 84k salary thing and have for years. It's all about being in the range for your IRS taxonomy codes. No IRS issues... they aren't BS-ing anything, just not trying to pay more SS/MCR tax than needed. Audits aren't the end of the world if you have QBooks and good records - but still not awesome I'm sure.

Upside to more salary is more social sec money (but that diminishes greatly after the ~88k bend point, only 15% counts - not 32%), and that you can put more into solo 410k if you have more salary.
I looked into solo 401k, accountant suggested it, and it's smart for most, but I don't do it personally... I just do backdoor Roth and then cash stock account and cash MM savings, but my retirement is a bit different from most as my partner has a lot more than me in 401k and her company stock (so I want more flexibility on my retirement stuff - ability to use at younger age without penalties - and more taxes-paid invest accounts as we may retire early-ish, no kids).
 
Last edited:
$ Expenses 2025 (second full calendar year)

14,362 Malpractice
625 Licensing and Board Exams
884 Travel
5 Parking
4786 Education, Training, CME
0 Fuel (doc miles... not sure why zero this year?)
_20,662 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
0 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
14,942 Rent
4,259 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
4,135 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
9,934 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
453 Mail (shipping, stamps)
4,069 Office Supplies
34,234 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies)
42 Medications (inject, crms, etc... some rolls in with COGS above?)
_74,326 expenses related to office ongoing

718 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc)
4,069 Tools (instruments, etc)
0 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs... no new depreciable stuff)
_8,349 expenses related to office startup

2,521 Website + FB
5,828 Marketing
_8,349 expenses related to marketing

1,946 Uniforms
887 Insurance Work Comp
217,461 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc... my doc salary W2 is now $96k salary and will stay a that future yrs)
102,406 Distributions (doc... leftover amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more... down because my W2 salary grew)
26,849 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
22,982 Meals (some 0%, some 50%, some 100% deduct... rules change almost yearly, talk to CPA)
653 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
794 Charity
55,791 Taxes
_429,769 expenses related to employees

___537,893 TOTAL

...avg = 182/visit (this incl post op globals $0, no pay visits, a few orthotic pickups and professional courtesy visits I usually don't charge for, etc)

Basically similar to prior year: cost of goods (medical supplies/OTC) levels off after first year (first year had to stock up all supplies),
lower cost for office furniture and decor and computer hardware or etc after initial year...
marketing goes down a bit (I suppose this varies on how first year goes?)... attorney down but accountant up a bit.
Rent and utilities and EMR go up a bit with inflation.
Huge malpractice hike despite no suits... just the worst state in USA for malprac laws (supposedly improving, will believe it when I see it).
Bigtime increases in labor (keep good employees), answer service (more calls/msgs), billing as it's % based (but less cred fees)... basically all else goes up.

My hours are easier and easier now. The per patient aka per visit income has risen each year, and that's the financial main thing IMO. In terms of quality, I barely ever work weekends unless it's to do a bit of shopping for the biz or maybe to do admin stuff that I need to sit and think on or be in the office physically to accomplish. I attribute a lot of this improved QOL to retaining well-trained and good employees who do this cleaning and organizing and ordering during the week. I do almost zero "pus bus" nonsense (ER knows only to really call my on PKTYs at this point) and if they call for new pts needing urgent surgery, I merely tell them to xfer those patients or call a different pod. The only other semi-skilled DPM in the near area left the state and was replaced by a lesser trained in that supergroup, so we have a long waitlist of insured patients for outpt appointments. We refer patients out daily if they don't want to wait or it's something like wound care that will clog our schedule (yes, I should expand or hire associate, but I've won the game, so I see no reason to take the risk/stress).

Early on, I had worked nearly all weekends and many evenings in the startup year doing biz setup/optimize stuff or hustling to see inpatient... or both. I think that was smart to ensure revenue and filling the schedule, but it worked better and faster than could've been imagined. No more inpt/ER "free call" or heavy marketing. We are now in cruise control, and the patients can come to us. 😎

I have the same 2 employees from when I started... overpaid for area (raises to ~122k/yr last year for the two as above when you count their salaries + various bonuses). They're even higher for 2026 and forward, but they're happy and highly productive and reliable (which makes my life easy). I could make a lot more for myself if I were paying them $18/hr or $20/hr with no bonuses or whatever the minimum for the area MA and med reception is... but again, having to train a new MA every 6 months or so is just not my style. Luckily, my team is small and I can overpay them and expect awesome work. Our only real goals now are to keep things going, not get complacent, keep treating patients and PCP offices well even though we've "won the game." 🙂
 
That rent is so cheap nice. I like how you pay your employees nice. Definitely good to have good buy in. I’m planning the same. This is a great template for people…

What percentage of your practice is RFC? I’m guessing low with the average revenue per patient being what it is. I’ll hang up and listen…
 
$ Expense

5,111 Malpractice
6,270 Licensing and Board Exams
436 Travel
10 Parking
790 Education, Training, CME
2,185 Fuel (doc miles)
_14, 802 expenses related to doc

1500 Legal and Accounting
35 Bank Fees
758 Insurance Office Liab
12,532 Rent
2,393 Utilities (net+ph, digi fax, emails)
2,264 Phones (Ans Svc, voice svc)
8,203 Software (EMR, AntiVir, etc)
68 Mail (shipping, stamps)
8,466 Office Supplies
38,292 Cost of Goods Sold (med supplies, incl fully stocked cabinets and closet of DME, OTC, etc not yet used)
2,616 Medications (inject, crms, etc)
_77,127 expenses related to office ongoing

410 Office Décor (desks, shelves, etc... not sure how this was so low... prob put much in Office Supplies cat)
2,265 Tools (instruments, etc)
6,958 Depreciable Assets (u/s, autoclave, exam chairs)
_9,633 expenses related to office startup

1,592 Website + FB
7,707 Marketing
_9,299 expenses related to marketing

834 Uniforms
403 Insurance Work Comp
78,661 Salaries (staff salaries + bonuses + etc)
63,268 Distributions (doc... basically the amount you have to pay yourself as you can't deduct or invest any more of it)
15,733 Medical Billing svc (% of collect... plus hourly rate for credentialing and re-cred)
6,166 Meals (50% deduct)
1,415 Entertainment (not deductible.. but fun for staff+doc)
803 Charity
25,600 Taxes
_192,883 expenses related to employees

___303,744 TOTAL


Avg = 161/visit
(this incl post op globals $0, many $0 visits early on from not being on all plans yet... plus many visits for last year are paid in this calendar year by payers and pt pays - yet no income from year before last come in last year, as it's a startup)

...This was not a full year above... it was roughly 9.5mo. It was a cold startup with nothing but walls and floors (no buildout, though). I did have some rep and name recognition in the city/area. I left a large group after they'd cut my pay and were pressing me for certain internal refers and services I wasn't a fan of. I resigned on a Friday and opened on a Monday; however, I'd had at least a month of dead utilities + rent prior to that when arranging the office solo on my evenings/weekends off. It was a hectic couple of months of logistics before launching, but it worked well.

I did many free visits early after going solo (was not on certain plans, was not on MCA, just saw the pts from any and all payers to keep goodwill... "we accept all area plans," took walk-ins, etc). We'd tried to have a first week to set up, but patients showed up from day 1. The first month or two was seldom full days... usually 5-10pts. The office I resigned at fought back hard and generally did not tell patients I was still nearby, but many new pts and prior ones found my solo anyways. I did one employee to start but had to add another within a month due to demand; mine are full time salaried at around 20% over area average pay for their job type. Now, I have a totally full schedule booked a month or two out for some non-acute stuff... we now can only take same-day for pretty serious stuff or if we have a cancel spot arise (which is the norm for any decent doc in the area, with exception of other podiatry offices... taking same/next day, of course).

We will obviously maintain connections and our rep/refers but largely let off on marketing going forward as we've hit all marks that we'd tried for. Expenses for this new year now in progress - the first full calendar year for the office - will be roughly $400k+ gross, roughly $200k to doc (salary + distributions), closer to $200/visit... and those are low estimates. I can post actuals around this tax time next year.

Take home points:
  • It can be done. PP is very viable for podiatry. It does not take a ton of patients to be profitable. I also noticed my collections were significantly higher per pt than prior owner said they were (tells you all you need to know right there). You can take no salary the first year if you're unsure that you will be profitable, but it's wise to add a doc salary once it's clear you're profitable. You can always take more ER and inpt work if you need to in the early going (I don't refuse it... but I definitely try to take less and less, just have them f/u outpt).
  • There are plenty of DPMs who do this. I know many personally. I am nobody special. All who I know doing solo PP do fair to very well, and for various reasoning (see trifecta ideas below). The only way to f*** it up is basically to defeat yourself with fraud services (audit and kicked off payers) or maybe super fancy office and buildout and grand equipment leases where your overhead sinks you before you can fill the appointment book.
  • Startup office is not as expensive as one thinks (I used maybe $50k of my own money to buy supplies and pay staff and pay for credentialing and attorney work... was profitable within 3 months, paid myself back gradual, then still had end-of-year distributions above). You can stock minimal DME and supplies in the early going, and I did... now, I buy as many CAM boots and arch supports and Coban and ankle braces and whatever as I can fit in the office (inflation will only increase their cost if you wait).
  • Staff and EMR and malpractice (and XR if you finance it) are the main monthly big hitters to your budget, as seen above. Exam chairs and autoclave and ultrasound are not cheap, but they're basically one-time. You can obviously go as basic or fancy as you choose. I used no financing at all (savings and cashed out IHS job 401k), but that's just personal choice not to take on any debt, use biz debit card and not credit.
  • This office is done without scammy grafts, other nonsense which insurances are now clawing back on. It is also without Xray revenue (I lease in a hospital, Rx XR to them). This is just income from basic visits, injections, basic office procedures, surgery, basic DME, OTC, rare anymore to do ER or inpt consulting. There is potential for much more (DM shoes, more OTC, various in-office cash svcs, etc), but I'm just fine without it.
  • It is very easy to make much more by more pt volume also... this is rougly 4.5 days/wk, 15-18pt/day, banker hours. Staff are well paid, same ones since startup. We all enjoy the flow, get our lunches, feel steady but not overworked if we have an add-on or two. We are nearly always caught up and in a good mood, run on time, patients are happy, PCPs are happy, and we are perpetually on a waitlist due to our good rep and results in the area - despite other nearby pod offices taking same day and walk-ins.
  • Second, third, etc years will obviously make much more than the first year. The office schedule will be full consistently, office will be on all payers, kinks in system will be worked out, will not have the one-time expenses of chairs and autoclave and computers and furniture and etc that we had starting out. However, malpractice and staff wages and EMR cost and tax bracket other things will always go up (inflation, more income, etc etc).

Biggest points to remember for docs considering PP of any kind (startup, buy in, buy out):
  • You will be able to work roughly half as much (patients/day), you will be able to make twice as much (% kept vs associate work with owner minimizing your collections and taking from you), or you can choose a combo of both of those. I obviously choose about two-thirds patient load to take in roughly one-and-one-third income level of most podiatry associates.
  • Much more than money, you gain the ability to control who you work with, what refers you try to gain (or refuse), choice of supplies, etc. There is no more bargaining or appealing to bosses to get those things done. There is no more asking for days off or haggling about the call schedule or any such inefficient nonsense. You obviously gain ultimate job security if you do any decent job at it. Once the solo office system is in place, you basically just need to attract and retain good people to run it along with you.
  • Remember the magic trifecta of PP podiatry : good payers area, likable doc (and staff), little nearby DPM competition. Those are the main keys to success.

Again, like GreenGreen thread on buying out a retire pod doc, this is not bragging... just food for thought. Hope it helps. I can reply to questions or PM as able. 👍
Good luck go get em
 
So your expenses were 538K. Your income (like your personal) was 102k + 96K...call it 200K.

I have always read on here that a solo owner should be making 50-60% of gross revenue (since overhead should be 40-50%).

So wouldn't that mean you're making less than what is typical? Well I guess you didn't post your gross revenue, but I assuming its the 538K since you already included owner distributions in that figure as an "expense".

This is great info for someone like me that wants to go solo in the next few years. I appreciate it.
It's also fascinating to compare your raw numbers to other solo owners that respond on here or reddit who say they make (as in net income, not business revenues) 3-400K doing basic podiatry.

Is the extra 100-200k these solo owners bring in most likely from call, seeing a ton more patients, overbilling, all of the above? haha
 
So your expenses were 538K. Your income (like your personal) was 102k + 96K...call it 200K.

I have always read on here that a solo owner should be making 50-60% of gross revenue (since overhead should be 40-50%).

So wouldn't that mean you're making less than what is typical? Well I guess you didn't post your gross revenue, but I assuming its the 538K since you already included owner distributions in that figure as an "expense".

This is great info for someone like me that wants to go solo in the next few years. I appreciate it.
It's also fascinating to compare your raw numbers to other solo owners that respond on here or reddit who say they make (as in net income, not business revenues) 3-400K doing basic podiatry.

Is the extra 100-200k these solo owners bring in most likely from call, seeing a ton more patients, overbilling, all of the above? haha
Yes 96k salary w2, 102k distributions ("shareholder draws"), various tax advantages (not going to detail but almost any owner soon realizes) for 2025. As I said above, I don't do this to lose money, but I have a pretty high income partner and we are doing well overall.

You easily can make significantly more overall and/or higher percent of the gross... pay employees less, see more pts per day week etc, bill more aggro, do more high margin stuff (usually gets a bit questionable with "grafts" or various testing path/vasc/etc or whatever the latest is). It's everything you said (but the call is typically by associates).

Remember, I don't max income potential. At all. I am just showing that it's pretty viable even without. I don't have XR in office (can't), don't see any pts on Fridays and often take off after team lunch that day, 8a-4p M-Th with ~1130-1300 lunch, don't really work evenings or weekends at all, overpay my employees significantly, do just basic bread-and-butter stuff, etc. I see about 15-20pts most days (2959 pt visits in 2025 by my counts... so avg 59/wk assuming 50wks/yr). I don't run it at all like a supergroup or a PP looking to max income does.

That is the beauty of PP... you can do it anywhere from the way I do it (or even fewer hours/pts per week) all the way up to more and more offices, associates, income, services. Some people even do mobile podiatry niche or wounds niche or whatever. It's Legos when you aren't doing what "the boss" says to do. 🙂
 
That is awesome.

I am seeing in 2 days what you're seeing for your 4-day work week (and I work all 5 days) lol. It gets annoying real fast. And that is not including inpatient consults before or after clinic 😒

Surprisingly, I actually enjoy this hustle, but I think it's just cause it's still relatively new for me, but give it another couple of years, and I'm sure it'll be different. Plus I make decent money compared to most other associates that are seeing the volume I do, but getting paid 50-100K less than what I am.

My practice's owner and managers make it seem like there's no profit if we're not seeing at least 25 patients per day, which I know can't be true, especially seeing your revenue of 583K on a schedule of just 15 to 20 per day.

A chill 20 per day making 300K is all I want from this career. haha
 
Last edited:
Yes 96k salary w2, 102k distributions ("shareholder draws"), various tax advantages (not going to detail but almost any owner soon realizes) for 2025. As I said above, I don't do this to lose money, but I have a pretty high income partner and we are doing well overall.

You easily can make significantly more overall and/or higher percent of the gross... pay employees less, see more pts per day week etc, bill more aggro, do more high margin stuff (usually gets a bit questionable with "grafts" or various testing path/vasc/etc or whatever the latest is). It's everything you said (but the call is typically by associates).

Remember, I don't max income potential. At all. I am just showing that it's pretty viable even without. I don't have XR in office (can't), don't see any pts on Fridays and often take off after team lunch that day, 8a-4p M-Th with ~1130-1300 lunch, don't really work evenings or weekends at all, overpay my employees significantly, do just basic bread-and-butter stuff, etc. I see about 15-20pts most days (2959 pt visits in 2025 by my counts... so avg 59/wk assuming 50wks/yr). I don't run it at all like a supergroup or a PP looking to max income does.

That is the beauty of PP... you can do it anywhere from the way I do it (or even fewer hours/pts per week) all the way up to more and more offices, associates, income, services. Some people even do mobile podiatry niche or wounds niche or whatever. It's Legos when you aren't doing what "the boss" says to do. 🙂
How many employees do you have
 
...What percentage of your practice is RFC? I’m guessing low with the average revenue per patient being what it is. I’ll hang up and listen…
I would guess it's around 25% based on code distribution (11721) and a quick look at any given week.
It is growing, though... it basically does for any PP. You will get more and more nail care as the years go by. It was probably 20% then 22.5 last year now 25% if I had to guess?

The nail care patients (and DM pts) don't go away unless they move/die... nearly all RFC pts will just come back every 3-4mo indefinitely (or "61 days" if you liet them... I do not). This is mostly why PPs hire associates... they get overrun as a nail farm. It is sure not all flat foot recon, bimall fractures, triple arthrodesis as APMA marketing makes it out to be, lol.

The bunion, heel pain, ankle sprain, ingrown, fracture, whatever patients either don't want/need surgery or do their surgery/PT/etc and get better, go PRN. The nail care patients do not often go PRN.

How many employees do you have
Two... a med assist and a front desk (and answer service that basically types up calls and emails us).

The 217.5k salaries includes my own $96k salary w2 pay and the w2 pay of the two full time employees.
 
Last edited:
I would guess it's around 25% based on code distribution (11721) and a quick look at any given week.
It is growing, though... it basically does for any PP. You will get more and more nail care as the years go by. It was probably 20% then 22.5 last year now 25% if I had to guess?

The nail care patients (and DM pts) don't go away unless they move/die... nearly all RFC pts will just come back every 3-4mo indefinitely (or "61 days" if you liet them... I do not). This is mostly why PPs hire associates... they get overrun as a nail farm. It is sure not all flat foot recon, bimall fractures, triple arthrodesis as APMA marketing makes it out to be, lol.

The bunion, heel pain, ankle sprain, ingrown, fracture, whatever patients either don't want/need surgery or do their surgery/PT/etc and get better, go PRN. The nail care patients do not often go PRN.


Two... a med assist and a front desk (and answer service that basically types up calls and emails us).

The 217.5k salaries includes my own $96k salary w2 pay and the w2 pay of the two full time employees.
How does it work with them doing vacations? Do they vacate when you do or switch times
 
How does it work with them doing vacations? Do they vacate when you do or switch times
They get 15 combo vaca/sick/etc days per calendar year + 2 pers holidays (HR consultant idea, this "personal holidays" just covers you for any weird religious days people may complain about not having off... not an issue with current team, but you never know). We close for the standard major holidays, work most minor ones... never saw the point of closing minor holidays (better to just let them choose more days off).
They can take any days they want with their combo days (0.5 or 1.0 day increments)... 30+ days notice whenever possible as we are booked far out. If they don't take their combo days, then at year end, they can roll them over or get $200/day wellness incentive.

If one of them is gone, we just schedule roughly half or maybe 2/3 as many patients and try to avoid procedure or new patients (whichever one is there does front/phones and I do cleaning rooms and instruments and restocking myself... sorta good refresh for me actually).

Again, it goes back to employee buy-in. I've had to deal with exactly 5 total sick days from the two of them in three years... 4 of those 5 were when one got COVID. The other was partying too much over the weekend and came in but had to go home on a Monday a couple years ago, but it happens. They are generally awesome. If you pay them, treat them well... they tend to reciprocate with good work and attendance. I also feel my HR consultant and attorney were well worth it designing company policy document... it's barely changed in years now. Jmo.

I tend to take my own vacations when one of them is already off, yes. We have more full staff and highly productive days that way. If I'm off and neither of them are, they can have one in the office (other is backup)... decided just even/odd dates. Ditto for Fridays: all there in morning for meeting and catch-up and team lunch, but only one goes back after lunch to clean and check phones, other one can leave after team lunch... even/odd.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They get 15 combo vaca/sick/etc days per calendar year + 2 pers holidays (HR consultant idea, this "personal holidays" just covers you for any weird religious days people may complain about not having off... not an issue with current team, but you never know). We close for the standard major holidays, work most minor ones... never saw the point of closing minor holidays (better to just let them choose more days off).
They can take any days they want with their combo days (0.5 or 1.0 day increments)... 30+ days notice whenever possible as we are booked far out. If they don't take their combo days, then at year end, they can roll them over or get $200/day wellness incentive.

If one of them is gone, we just schedule roughly half or maybe 2/3 as many patients and try to avoid procedure or new patients (whichever one is there does front/phones and I do cleaning rooms and instruments and restocking myself... sorta good refresh for me actually).

Again, it goes back to employee buy-in. I've had to deal with exactly 5 total sick days from the two of them in three years... 4 of those 5 were when one got COVID. The other was partying too much over the weekend and came in but had to go home on a Monday a couple years ago, but it happens. They are generally awesome. If you pay them, treat them well... they tend to reciprocate with good work and attendance. I also feel my HR consultant and attorney were well worth it designing company policy document... it's barely changed in years now. Jmo.

I tend to take my own vacations when one of them is already off, yes. We have more full staff and highly productive days that way. If I'm off and neither of them are, they can have one in the office (other is backup)... decided just even/odd dates. Ditto for Fridays: all there in morning for meeting and catch-up and team lunch, but only one goes back after lunch to clean and check phones, other one can leave after team lunch... even/odd.
Sounds like a tight ship.
MA turnover is insane and its sometimes hard to find people who will just do their job and leave the drama out of it.
Good workers are worth their weight in gold.
 
What amazes me is how high the collections is per patient @Feli . The numbers I saw at my former employer are not near that high. It was more like $110. And mind you, I had good payors.. DME didn’t count towards my personal collections though. Wonder if that’s the big difference.
 
What amazes me is how high the collections is per patient @Feli . The numbers I saw at my former employer are not near that high. It was more like $110. And mind you, I had good payors.. DME didn’t count towards my personal collections though. Wonder if that’s the big difference.
He has better payors.... Pretty unique subset of patients with the type of jobs in that area related to nuclular
 
Feli thanks for sharing all of this with us. Would you mind sharing how you timed getting the office, forming your business, and credentialing ? What did you do while employed so that you had a smooth transition from your group to your own practice.
 
Feli thanks for sharing all of this with us. Would you mind sharing how you timed getting the office, forming your business, and credentialing ? What did you do while employed so that you had a smooth transition from your group to your own practice.
You can do most stuff while employed... learn, think how you want your office to run, make lists, get supplies, instruments. You can make your google and a basic website ready to launch, register your biz (federal EIN) and get biz license (city it will be in). You can start on EMR, but that gets costly and you don't want to start too early (most give you a couple months free).

You need the physical office address address and access to start setting up utilities, business machines and phones and fax, the office and exam furniture. The tech networking can take longer than you think, even if you have good help.

The credentialing can be planned, but it can't really be set up until you leave the other job... all linked to NPI, so it kinda has to be done overnight. Employer will know when you change addresses, lock them out, etc. I would highly suggest having help from billing/cred service that knows the process and major area plans.

The book The Medical Entrepreneur by Hacker is pretty good. There are checklists all over for starting medical office.