Building up resume??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Connor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a college freshman medical lab sciences major and want to either apply to med school or PA school in the future. Most schools require paid direct patient contact hours so I thought about applying for a medical assistant position which would require a resume but the only things I would have on my resume are a summer camp and a animal inn job, both of which I had in high school. I feel like if I submit that kind of resume it would look bad, but would they expect anything else from a college student???

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools do not require your patient contact experience to be paid. I suggest you start out volunteering, then try to use that experience to get a paid position if that's what you're after.

Most schools absolutely do not require direct patient contact hours. However, I found that my time as a medical assistant was extremely rewarding and absolutely solidified my desire to enter into medicine. I would definitely try and think of the stuff that you do to get into medical school in that sense and less of a box to check, you will be happier for it. I only have 2 things of my 15 activities on my application from a time prior to sophomore year. You still have plenty of time, find things you enjoy and stick with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
What Zelda840 said is correct. I would suggest finding a volunteer position at your local hospital or hospice to get some experience first and then look for a paid position of some type afterwards if you're still interested in that.

Most schools absolutely do not require direct patient contact hours. However, I found that my time as a medical assistant was extremely rewarding and absolutely solidified my desire to enter into medicine. I would definitely try and think of the stuff that you do to get into medical school in that sense and less of a box to check, you will be happier for it. I only have 2 things of my 15 activities on my application from a time prior to sophomore year. You still have plenty of time, find things you enjoy and stick with them.

MD programs, true. But many PA programs require a certain # of hours with direct patient contact.